Archinect
anchor

San Francisco Real Estste

mdler

Are there any deals to be had?

Feb 21, 07 11:10 pm
bothands

Hah, Deals? SF (plus Marin County) is one of the only markets that kept going up since last year even, though the rest of the the Bay Area levelled off if not went slightly down. Anything that seems relatively "reasonably" priced, is livable, and in a desirable area to live (not fancy necessarily, but like the Mission, Potrero Hill, Bernal Hill, Noe Valley, Dolores Heights, SOMA, Glen Park, Upper Haight, you name it) still gets multiple offers and basically costs an arm and leg (for a starving architect anyway).

Pretty much the only 'deals' ($600-$700k for a shack or near tear down) are in the Bayview area, currently the most crime-ridden, ghetto-ized part of the city, that some say is sadly next in line for gentrification with the new light rail line in place...

Feb 22, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

bothands,

what is wrong with gentrification?

Feb 22, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

Well, the forced flight of much of the african-american population from San Francisco has been the focus of articles on this very topic in SF recently. An obvious argument against gentrification has to do with loss of diversity and displacement of residents...

Feb 22, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if it cleans the area up...

Feb 22, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings
deal

are the first three dimensions a must?

Feb 22, 07 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

there's a little place we like to call

oakland

Feb 22, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
knock

i think once the city builds up that the condo prices wiil start to drop a bit ... this just may mean that flats and house will just get even higher, though, if that's what you are looking for. TIC it up if you've got the cahones.

as far as the gentrification, yeah, it has its problem with displacement; who's neighborhood is going to get this next? i highly doubt they are going to leave the city, they'll just sell theirs at an inflated rate to the developers, and move to other areas in southern SF or South SF.

as far as loss of diversity, this works to a point, but i still do think that san francisco is retaining most of this (lots of african-americans still in the Filmore/western addition, although they are trying to "redevelop" this as well, so we'll see)

Feb 23, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
anon8

Yeah Oakland is a lovely place to live. So nice and peaceful and bikeable, we have the lake to row on, no tourists. It's perfect, overlooked by most, whoops shouldn't be posting this.

Feb 27, 07 12:32 am  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Is this thread still kicking? Valencia Corridor would be my pick. It would be one hot tamale of a place to live. Close to Bart stations, totally walkable, awesome foodie places and still gentrifying....

Don't know about being a real estate deal though...I think its gone already.

Bernal Heights and Pasadena have a lot in common :)

Jul 27, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i was just in bernal heights this past weekend...a cute little hill for sure, with a bit of a thriving scene of it's own. it's so far though, from most of the city, and a bit inconvenient, IMHO.

i love the valencia corridor too...between 21st and 18th especially, west side o' the mission.

not quite heart of the mission, and not quite mission dolores. it's a nice hood.

i know the thread is old, but no, no deals anywhere to be had.

by the way - East Bay is pig latin for BEAST.

Jul 27, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Bernal is like this awesome family / dog place to live...if you had a million bucks. Sigh.

mmmm Tartine...

Jul 27, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

you been to Bar Tartine?

that's right in the Valencia corridor we were talking about...so is delfina, bi-rite, and a billion other places.

Jul 27, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Oh yeah. I go to Tartine every time I go to SF. Delfina is a couple doors down...great anitpasti and pizza.

Dammit I want to live in California.

Jul 27, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
knock

yeah, i'm working on a ground up house on the east side of bernal right now - undeveloped lot, ns. Incredible views, they wisely opened their whole north side of the living room with glass to amazing views of the whole city - nice little perch. it's pretty amazing up there.

Corridor is still a little divey, rather be on the other side of guerreo ... I'm waiting for the 'loin/gulch to gentrify, should buy up a lot now and build up.

my pick would have to be ashbury heights though ... upper noe would do just fine, but ashbury heights, it's like a fairy tale land up there.

Jul 27, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

There are still empty lots in SF? Where? Where???

Mission is definately dodgy still (drug dealers and hookers in the middle of the day)...but west of it e.g. Valencia and beyond, seem pretty safe. I never been to the Gulch, isn't it popular with media types?

Ashbury H sounds nice. I'd love to live in Noe Valley, but again, its already soo expensive. Anyone know what Sunnyside / Glen Park are like?

Jul 27, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

AH is a complete fairytale. little gingerbread victorians up on the hill. painfully crowded and expensive though. still, beautiful to look at.

just down the slope in cole valley things are a bit more reasonable (by SF standards...) but it's always foggy there. love the boulangerie on Cole at Stanyan though. good stuff.

worked on a house in that hood...vertical and horizontal additions, developed the attic, kickass views of the headlands, GG bridge...really difficult planning process though. in construction now...i no longer work at that firm, so nothing to do with CA thankfully, because it was a pretty trick design that's getting built by a guy who usually remodels flipped houses for realtors. kind of a boneheaded move on the client's part there.

don't know sunnyside, but glen park is nice, mostly families. lots of cooks i used to work with lived down there with their kids, wives, dogs, etc. big mexican community there, but established, not new and transient like mission. no midday hookers and crack.

Jul 27, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Actually...I have been to Ashbury Heights! I took a bus from Mission Dolores to Golden Gate Park / Haight, and we drove up this hill through a beautiful neighborhood. It look mucho expensivo, but gorgeous. Gotta check out that boulangerie, anything for a pain au chocolat. Cheers mightylittle.

Jul 27, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

do yourself favor and get some of their canneles de bordeaux.

Jul 27, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Sweet.

If you're ever in LA, check out Amandine Patissiere on Wilshire Blvd(Santa Monica / Brentwood). Awesome food.

Jul 27, 07 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
knock

i've been to the boulange, but only taken out some jambon or frommage on their delicious pain.

finnegans wake - great place for bloody mary's & pong on a sunday - just don't bring a bring a large group, if the bartender gets grumpy, it gets really ugly.

Jul 27, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

What about deals in the outer Richmond/Sunset/Parkside? I know it's cold and foggy out there, but there are some mid-century houses that could be spiffed up. Plus it's near the beach. I'm trying to convince my mother to look there when she sells her house and moves back to SF.

I also saw this new development at the Civic Center/edge of the TL. While they may not be a deal, at least they're reasonably well designed and lower priced than most apartments in SF. Then again, they're the same size as Manhattan apartments.

Jul 29, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Can't say I've ever been to Richmond / Sunset. I've heard it's nice, safe, more affordable, good schools, but does suffer from the (almost daily) fog. I think close to Golden Gate Park and on good transport routes (no Bart though), you can't go wrong.

I think the fog would get to me...so the sunnier Noe Valley / Mission / Bernal areas are my pick.

Jul 29, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
knock

man, there are sooooo many new condos going up, squared. we're tripping over them out here, just hopefully can afford one someday.

http://sf.curbed.com/

Jul 29, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

What's going on in the TL? Did the gentrification that was threatening the "authenticity" of the neighborhood die out? It seems like a curious little patch of the city.

Oh, and I understand about the condos going up. That's one of many reasons I left my apartment in Brooklyn. Can't wait to get back to the Bay Area soon!

Jul 30, 07 12:56 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

the stat i heard recently was a total of $10b in current and approved construction in SF right now.

seriously, rincon hill and mission bay look like little dubai.

i've heard between 10k and 50k new condos are planned/approved.

the TL is still the TL. nobody has the balls to let it gentrify. where would all of those people go? until the city gets its act together on providing a longer term solution to mental illness and drug problems on the street, they have a don't look, don't bust policy. and it'll stay like that for a while.

maybe offer them all a free bus ticket to LA?

(rich/sunset/parkside are beautiful...and depressing. fog is of truly monumental proportions out there.)

Jul 30, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared
"...Little Dubai..."

Hilarious!

Jul 30, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
DEtroit

To answer the original post - no. No 'deals' to be had in SF. That is if you are an architect on an architect's salary. If you have family money or have won the lottery then you may be able to afford a small place (one bedroom) in the Mission for $850K. Seriously - the city is quickly becoming out priced for most (or a better assessment - it's been out priced for most for a while now).

Jul 30, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: