Archinect
anchor

How Design Works

quizzical

Check this out: http://howdesignworks.aia.org/index.cfm

Feb 20, 07 5:20 pm
Sarah Hamilton

Yeah, the AIA have really stepped it up. I heard a comercial for them, and AIA Architects on a Classic Rock Radio Station. Maybe we will start to get paid more once people begin to value our service.

Feb 20, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
comb

it's good to see the aia make this move. while this clearly is aimed at promoting aia architects, it's also good to know that this can benefit all architects, whether members or not.

thank you, aia

Feb 20, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

or the wallop in puyallup!

i thought this was going to be a manifesto. drats.

Feb 20, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

it's in celebration of 150 years, it's great isn't it! we've been gearing up for it for a couple of years and it's nice to see it coming to fruition. there's a campaign being put together in oregon called "give and take" where a pamphlet is being put together to give to the members of the state senate and reps and another one being tailored towards the general public. before leaving i was really wanting to work on upping this campaign to installations at community events, not just presentation boards stuck in the ground but actual articistic/sculptural/design pieces, along with showing off our other talents, more performance art type stuff. could fail miserably or be extremely cool!

holz.box...puyallup? is that where you work? it's such a small world. that's actually my home town :)

Feb 20, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

god no. i'm in seattle. but it feels only slightly larger than puyallup.

Feb 20, 07 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

i was going to say...i didn't even know they HAD any architecture firms there!

good times. hope you're at least slightly satisfied with seattle. i couldn't deal with it, to dirty for a small city, not dirty enough for a big city, getting better pieces of architecture but you're right, it's small.

going past the stadium at night along the i-5 side, can't remember the name of the road, when there's a game and people are circulating it looks really cool. lame amount of info i know but hopefully you'll catch it at the right time and get to experience it.

Feb 20, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i've got friends that fly in all the time, so i'm always picking them up and dropping them off late at night, and end up passing the stadia. quest field (football) has a psuedo-calatrava feature but that's about the extent of kultur here. but i take the viaduct since it's faster and i'm always hoping i'm on it when it falls so i can be famous. woot woot!

the only thing i'm enjoying about seattle is i can drive for 2-3 hours and go snowboarding, hiking, or camping and it feels like i'm in the middle of nowhere. or i can make it to vancouver or pdx in the same amount of time.

right now, i'm really not feeling the arch. love so i'm contemplating heading away. and yeah, seattle is dirty for being so small. that might be the only thing that even makes seattle feel urban, cos it's definitely all single family houses as far as the eye can see...

Feb 20, 07 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Sis anyone notice that if you remove the word "AIA" the sentences work just the same? Hmmm... if only Joe Public knew that.

Feb 20, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
Did

anyone notice...

Feb 20, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

i feel like suing aia for making discriminatory misleading statement like; 'aia architect'.

there is only one kind of architect and that is the one licended by the individual state's registration board after completing the legal requirements. architect first aia later, not the other way around. ever.

that is fringing on a monopoly of profession. i am sure there could be some legal stances could be taken against this.
i am simply waiting for a moment and the right lawyer to take this case on.

these fuckers are killing a lot of people's spirits for simply wanting to remain independent rather than becoming a member of an organization where more than 50% of the members' dues are paid by corporate dollars.

i am not against aia, but i am against aia, if they willfuly mislead my potential clients that i am not good enough professional, if i am not a member of aia. it makes me feel like gang banged. sort of raped by their bigger than me power.

yes, i am furious for this poor and cheap choice of words by an organization discriminating, willfully or not, against the members of the 'profession' it so gallantly tries to represent.

Feb 21, 07 1:27 am  · 
 · 
comb
Orhan Ayyuce

-- lighten up -- you cannot expect the dues paying members of aia to go out of its way to support the interests of non-members and not support (in a discriminatory manner) its own membership.

the fact is that most active members of aia do tend to think about the "profession" first -- as an active member at both the local and national level, our committee work always approaches what we do very broadly and with very little direct consideration of the distinctions between member interests and non-member interests.

but, in a promotional activity, the focus must be -- and will remain -- on promoting the interests of those who pay the dues and participate in the organization.

if you don't like that, join. if you don't want to join, don't visit their website and don't use the aia's materials. i'm sure you'll do just fine on your own, in your bitter little world.

Feb 21, 07 9:44 am  · 
 · 
surface

Oh my, you have all just made me either homesick or nostalgic for the Northwest, but I'm not sure which!!!

Surely there could be a commercial involving either the Big Ol' Used Car Sale at the T-dome or the Boat Show :)

(or... dare I say it... Vern Fonk.)

Feb 21, 07 10:31 am  · 
 · 
ChAOS

ugh, vern fonk, you know i actually used them for my insurance for a short period of time, HORRIBLE!

Feb 21, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

Is "Good Design Makes a Difference" a trademarked slogan? It looks like it from that site...

Like "Just do it" and "I'm loving it"?

AIA brand design?

Feb 21, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
surface

honkwhenyoudrivebyvernfonk!!!!

Feb 21, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

susan, vern fonk's latest commercial is a rif on napoleon dynamite. it's actually kinda funny.yet incredibly annoying at the same time. i only watch scrubs and charlie rose, yet i still manage to catch that commercial almost daily.

Feb 21, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 

haha. a gang banger came forward. his code name is comb. just like i pointed.
i don't want to support of aia. just do not mislead the public about me and other architects.
regarding visiting web sites, you must not tell me what to do with my computer either.
i am not saying aia should not advertise itself, read it again your thickness, just don't use discriminatory language against
non-members. kapish?

Feb 21, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
file

Saying an "AIA Architect" is a good architect is not the same as saying a "Non-AIA Architect" is a bad architect.

Feb 21, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 

whatever. i will be just serving aia free of charge whenever i can. because most of you members are not doing much for it... it is not a good membership to just pay for the advertisement and wait for telephones to ring for higher income man.
guess what? i might just do another convention..

Feb 21, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 
comb

whatever !

Feb 21, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
I would hope that the AIA ads would help raise demand for all architect's services, thus allowing more architects to join AIA.

Because god knows AIA membership fees are a high price to pay for small practitioners like myself. I'm a 4 year member but every year ask myself if it is worth the cost. This year I'm being far more active locally - co-chairing a committee, even! - but my personal opinion over whether it is worth the cost still varies depending on my checkbook balance that day.

Feb 21, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 

lb, one of the big reason i am not a member is exactly that. i simply can't afford it at this point. i am having hard time paying my office rent as is presently.
it seems like aia wants the membership to rise by bullying people. that is what i am all tangled with, given my circumstances...

Feb 21, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

LB -- I understand your conflicting views on membership. I've been a member for over 25 years now -- both during periods of self-employment and during periods where I was involved with mid-sized firms, who paid my dues. The self-employment periods were the toughest and I went through those annual "is it worth it" agonies too.

Looking back from the perspective of over 25 years, I can say sincerely that, for me, the annual investment has been well worth the sacrifice required. For me, the sacrifice has been more related to my time than the actual dollars.

About 10 years into my membership, I started getting active in committee work, in an effort to see if I could get more for my membership dollars. That activity took hold and I've remained very active ever since. I now participate in several national committees, where I have not only met some very fine and accomplished architects, but have learned a great deal about my profession and my craft, all the while returning something back to my profession.

So-called "mail box" members always are going to wonder what they're getting for their membership dollars. Those who get involved and engage with others in a positive, productive volunteer effort will gain immeasurably -- but it does take some time.

I recognize that my own experience is not necessarly indicative of everybody else's experience. But, I would not trade what I've learned, and the people I've met, through AIA for the world.

Feb 21, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I just graduated, and no one has been able to tell WHY I should join. Just what does the AIA do, other than add three letters to your name, and the free subscription to Texas Architect, a very nice publication.

Feb 21, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

quizzical, i couldn't agree with you more. i think that part of the problem people have with the AIA is understanding what they're paying for and getting in return. they don't understand that they also need to get involved in the AIA rather than just sitting back with their hands in their pockets. as an associate member less than 2 years out of college i have already served on the board at the state level and assisted in planning a convention, along with working on legislation regarding construction liability and am looking to get back involved (moved to another state).

the aia may not always be in your face about what they are doing, but if you would read their material and be involved, you would see that the aia has stopped numerous attempts by unlicensed architects to infringe upon the work of registered architects, not just aia members, but ALL architects. additionally, they have lobbied for and gained congressional support for green building initiatives with many local and state governments now requiring buildings built with tax payers dollars to be sustainable/green/whatever your favorite word is. i know from first hand experience that in the pacific northwest there is legislation that is being considered which would add more liability on to architects along with more responsibility, but would not require much more of others in the industry and the aia is fighting against that, not just for aia members but for all registered architects...do you see a pattern here? this work is being done by members of the aia, they pay their dues and volunteer their time then they work on items which affect the profession as a whole, NOT just aia members. imagine if there was no aia...who would be lobbying to protect our profession? would each of you be out there on a regular basis speaking with your legislatures, drafting legislation, lobbying, attending meetings to discover what was coming up next, spending your spare time researching what the implications were, setting up advertising campaigns that may not include your name but are at least geared towards raising the awareness of your profession, would you be organizing national conferences, speakers, seminars, etc?

if you did this there would be no aia, which would seem to make some of you very happy.

so i challenge you, if you're going to complain about an organization that watches your back whether your a member or not and doesn't complain about it then share with us what YOU do for the profession as a whole.

Feb 21, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

excuse me, i didn't mean JUST unlicensed architects but also developers, contractors, engineers, interior designers...and any other group that seems to think they can do what at architect does, cheaper, "better" and faster (imagine what the world would look like)

Feb 21, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Feb 21, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I'm with Orhan... to give an example: When notified that I passed all sections of the ARE, I called my parents to give them the good news. After they congratulated me, their next question was, "So you can add AIA after your name now right?" I then spent the next 15 minutes trying to explain how royally f'ed up the professional world of architecture is...what it means to be an RA vs. AIA vs. NCARB, etc...

The AIA is just a killer for small firms and sole practitioners (as noted above) due to the high cost of membership. It's hard for us to see what the benefits are for the price. We're a small office and only our principal is an AIA member for the sole reason to have access to AIA standard contracts.

Here are the only other "benefits" I can see to being a member:
1. You save a couple bucks on the cost to submit projects for the annual AIA Awards.
2. You get a couple free tickets to the annual AIA awards.
3. Slight discount on professional liability insurance.
4. Some auto insurance companies offer discounts to AIA members.
5. Some car rental companies offer discounts to AIA members.
6. Subscription to Arch Record. (which almost exclusively publishes work by non-AIA members - WTF?) I would think that if Arch Record is the "official" magazine of the AIA, then they should be publishing work by AIA members right? You want to be published in Record Mr. Koolhaas? Then pay us a few thousand bucks for a membership!

Feb 21, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

aarp gives discounts for rental cars....along with everyother organization including credit card companies.....If your paying the full tow on a car rental then your just tossing your money away.

So is this really a benefit?

Architecture magazine sends me a free issue every month....and I really can't see any difference between it and Architectural Record.
They both charge people an arm and a leg to advertise their products which most of the time are the most anti-architectural items I have ever seen.

I have yet to find anyone who can beat my car insurance rates cause I combine it with my house insurance. So again a non-benefit.

They also manage to hold the National AIA Convention at the busiest time of the year for me. People are eager to get their projects under construction and of course they could be but for some reason everyone is coming to the table to late in the year to have everything put to bed by the first of May.

I recall there last big advertising campaign in our state. It had to deal with Architecture and Schools. Which to me was a no brainer. Who the Hell Else are you going to hire to do a school but an Architect. The funny thing is the qualification of Architecture firms allowed to do schools in our state is very limiting in that it is strongly tied back to past completed school projects. So the work is passed around time and time again to the same firms who for the most part can't think outside of a box so our square foot cost for schools has gone thru the roof.

I'm done...

Feb 21, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
digger

bitch, bitch, bitch !

god, i get sick of all the bitching.

everybody seems to want a f**king free lunch !

if you don't want to join, don't join -- but, please, shut up about it !

Feb 21, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

if you think, me watching for my interest is bitching. defending my professional stance, is bitching. if you think speaking my mind against the possible discriminating language by a reputable org., is bitching.
you've just 'dug' yourself a digger hole.
because you are the bitch. yell this aloud to yourself front of the mirror 10 times every morning until i decide you are cured.

* i suggest people who use too many (!) marks to go see an aia in house therapist.

*additional note for the connaisseur:
after my feature about aia convention in archinect last year, i am pleased to find out that aia is now offering health insurance. i am proud that i was a .0001 percent catalizer in this because of my mentioning and regarding to issue in my covarage.
what have you done for your country lately?

Feb 21, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

architects need an attack dog. bitch or not...

Feb 21, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

i have to say, I don't understand Orhan Ayyuce's angst.

fundamentally, the URL at the top of this thread takes you to a site where only a small part of the message is this:

3. Why should I hire an AIA architect?
Members of the American Institute of Architects adhere to the AIA Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, assuring you of their dedication to the high standards of professional practice. AIA architects also fulfill annual continuing education requirements to maintain their professional standing and to stay current in the profession.

pretty much, that's it. beyond that statement (which is repeated, in various forms in several different areas of the site) the material discusses - quite objectively and even-handedly - what an architect does and how a client can benefit from using the services of an architect.

every architect, when selling his/her services, is going to illuminate his/her positive aspects -- how's that degrading to the other architects competing for the same work? nowhere in the aia's site does it say that non-aia architects are either unethical or incompetent. all it talks about are some positive attributes of aia architects and what all of us are trying to do in our relationships with clients.

in my humble opinion, i think the aia has put up a site that is beneficial to ALL architects - not just members of the institute.

Feb 21, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

why can't orhan ayyuce get thru your minds, no matter how many times he repeats himself?

whats the difference? #3 is small? how small? i won't feel the demage small?
call it angst or whatever, there is no small in this case. that #3 is wrong and offensive and divisive and unfair.
just wrong use of, a deliberate use of, a bad use of terminology and syntax here. it should be corrected for once and all.
a bullet is very small too.

Feb 21, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

I guess I don't see any difference between the AIA website advertising "AIA Architects" and any other company or group advertising their services. The membership is paying for the ad, so why should the ad also advertise for those who are not members?

This seems a double-edged sword to me; people complain that being a member gets you nothing. Now being a member gets you advertised, and people complain that those who are not members do not get the same benefit.

Feb 21, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I will gently point out that in many states - mine included - architects are required to fulfill continuing education requirements by dint of being licensed, whether they are AIA or not.

(runs to corner and covers head with hands....)

Feb 21, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

aia is now adopting a monopolistic language. it is like walmart finishing off the mom and pop shops. it kind of writing down its own demise. watch the membership fees increase even more each year, leading to superbowl ads eventually.
"hi, my name is aia architect, i will fight for your drywall".

oh. i am finally having fun with this without the repeats.

Feb 21, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

i would love to see a superbowl ad! we could teach the people who probably don't even know what an architect IS about design...WOO HOO!!!

lb...thanks for making me laugh, the visual was so fitting :)

i believe ALL states require CEU to maintain a license correct?

oa...wow, that seems like a veiled threat to those who don't agree with you..."a bullet is very small too"? i must say, you've really freaked me out with that comment. perhaps the aia has totally screwed you at some point and now you're extremely upset, but like you pointing out NEGATIVES about the aia, there are those of us who are pointing out the POSITIVES of the aia. you don't have to join, we'll still protect your rights for practicing this profession and attempt to keep non-licensed people from infringing upon them :)

Feb 21, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I think what Orhan is trying to get across to quizzical and others that have drank the AIA KoolAid is that item #3 is misleading and suggests that only AIA 'certified' architects are dedicated both professionally, ethically, and commited to continuing education whereas all us non-AIA architects will steal prescripiton painkillers out of your medicine cabinets while we're surveying your house for a remo and addition...

Feb 21, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 

ChAOS i am not impressed with your reading skills. you don't know what that bullet is about, yet. i want you to read 10 pages every morning and i will decide when you are a learned man..

Feb 21, 07 9:17 pm  · 
 · 

dml955i, thank you. exactly.

Feb 21, 07 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

since i'm female i'll assume the 10 pages i already read every morning will suffice, but thanks for the offer oa! or do you mean that "man" should be used to describe all of those in the profession?

i'm willing to admit that the aia is not perfect but just suppose you were to also open up a little and admit that the aia does actually accomplish some good things, for the better of the profession, whether or not you are an ethical aia member or a drug stealing non-aia member :)

oa, i hope you're not taking any of this personally, we're all entitled to our opinions, it's like architecture in general, subjective you know?

Feb 21, 07 9:28 pm  · 
 · 

nothing personal. you guys are the ones always sending me personal stuff first and i am not your daddy..

Feb 21, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

LB - our firm practices in almost all states in the US. the last time I looked, only 30 states actually have implemented mandatory continuing ed (MCE) to maintain licensure. most (but not all) of the states that do have MCE have lower continuing ed requirements than does aia. my own home state's annual continuing ed requirements are only 2/3 of what aia requires of me.

Feb 21, 07 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: