Archinect
anchor

Happy Birthday Louis Kahn!

theTracer

Don't ask why I know this.

Feb 20, 07 3:47 pm

Jamez are you one of his long lost children?

None the less should we sing a round of "Louis Louis?"

Feb 20, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Client
Feb 21, 07 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

3D H ! !

Feb 21, 07 9:02 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

No not 3D-H it fail all what define 3D-H. But instead of going into silli detail, try emagine what a difference it would have been , if frames to continue to form the loft foundations would continue up the building to shape the all at one floor, add to the elevator sharft at the next m deliver flors at various hight ,build in furniture --- here thee are a grid to hold a floor , and there are nothing of the sort of newthinking as with 3D-H , the frames don't even meet 90 deg. something that is a must with 3D-H as othervise the framework simply can't be assembled.

Please remember that 3D-H is more than just flat floors or single curved roofs , that it will form the intire structure with walls and floors , not just a floor here and a roof there, 3D-H is much more than that.

Feb 21, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Bside if an architect at that time had realised 3D-H it would not be cast concrete as above, cast concrete would never develob into 3D-H on the way to that, the hippies had to invent the Dome structure, -- the stringer structure that like a mesh form a thin but quite useless shell ,without the basic structure that is what 3D-H offer. --- Either these made that sort of gray strait-edge concrete formwork buildings, or it was useless Domes that later evolved while they worked fine with the computers zero-thixckness mesh entities, Still cast concrete like that was done back 1895 and hippie domes never realy delivered something else than thin walled computer-mesh structures where after the Dome was build, then another house had to be build inside the emty shell.

Feb 21, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Bside if an architect at that time had realised 3D-H it would not be cast concrete as above, cast concrete would never develob into 3D-H on the way to that, the hippies had to invent the Dome structure, -- the stringer structure that like a mesh form a thin but quite useless shell ,without the basic structure that is what 3D-H offer. --- Either these made that sort of gray strait-edge concrete formwork buildings, or it was useless Domes that later evolved while they worked fine with the computers zero-thixckness mesh entities, Still cast concrete like that was done back 1895 and hippie domes never realy delivered something else than thin walled computer-mesh structures where after the Dome was build, then another house had to be build inside the emty shell.

Feb 21, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Client
Feb 21, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

woo hoo!

Feb 21, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Hippie dome ?

Feb 22, 07 2:29 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Oh I get it now ..

[jpg]http://www.thefarm.org/museum/theaterdome.jpg[/jpg]

Feb 22, 07 2:35 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

sorry

Feb 22, 07 2:35 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I was thinking Nervi....the crazy Italian....who knew no limits to span.

Feb 22, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

This is the weirdest happy birthday thread to Louis Kahn ever. I think he would be proud. Or slightly tripped out.

Feb 23, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

how old is he?

Feb 23, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i think he's still dead

Feb 23, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

do you think he had a different birthday celebration with each of his families? working the sytem to get more presents. the man was always thinking

Feb 23, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Definitely, considering how father's birthday presents are so awesome.

"Great, more bow ties... I'll put that next to my brand new razor"

On a serious note - he is still one of my heroes even though he's been gone for 3 decades.

On a random note - you guys ever notice the scene in My Architect where Nathaniel looks jealous of Lou's bow tie that one of his sister inherited?

Happy belated birthday, Louis

Feb 23, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

i missed that in the movie......

Feb 23, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: