Archinect
anchor

The BIG move to LA....

StudioWookie

ok....im trying to move to LA from the I.E. and to accept a job offer at an arch office.....but i cant f-in afford it.....oh the hell do you LA-archinectors do it!!! I mean jeez you have to be in management positions to afford it and live comfortably.

Any recommendations on cheap lofts...housing....tricks of the trade on living costs....anything..besides the healthy obession on top ramen noodles.

Feb 19, 07 6:15 pm

First step- forget that phrase "live comfortably."

Feb 19, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

completely agree with rationalist.
the second step is def look for a place to share with possibly 1 if not 2 people (helps)

Also, give up the idea of living somewhere on the west side, which means you will have to commute. So I am sure you can find a place in K-town, or lesser known neighborhoods, where rent is not quite as high.

those are my suggestions.

I make a decent wage, but still commute cause, even though I can afford to pay rent on the west side...I just choose not to and spend my money on things that matter.

Feb 19, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

get off of archinect and get back to work!!!

Feb 19, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

pinche NACO.... HAHA

Feb 19, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha, que onda guey!?

Feb 19, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

trying to get the move on to Los Angeles.... pero $$$$$$

Feb 19, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
binary

can always move to detroit.... alot of land to do projects on and rent is cheap.....

Feb 19, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

what's the I.E. and what are they paying you in L.A. that makes it so unaffordable? i worked there for a summer back when i was in college and i could easily live on the westside with what they were paying me.

Feb 19, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

I.E. = Inland Empire

Feb 19, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

If you do have your heart set on a short commute to a westside or beverly hills firm, try Culver City. I've had the best luck apartment hunting with Craigs List- any complex that can afford to advertise on the places like rent.com is out of my price range.

Feb 19, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

i knew craig was my best bet......

robust.....monthly minumim....
rent=$1000 to 1500
car+insurance=$600
gas=$150

already total=almost $2000 not including food/utilities/misc

and @ entry-level position......mmmmm, might as well live on the streets and the toy factory..

Feb 19, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

detroit?!?!? actually, you CRYZKO!!!!

Feb 19, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

so you'd need to earn $3000 a month, post taxes....which is a $44k salary before you hack the taxes off. they're not paying you that?!

oh i just reread the thread, yeah, entry level probably won't pay you quite that.

here's what you need to do then. i hope your job is in some fun walkable community like venice or santa monica or beverly hills or westwood. because then you can rent a 1 bedroom for about $1200, get an s.o. so live with you and split the rent. then you sell your car, walk to work.

if you just do a few money saving things that most angelenos would find crazy, living in LA can be very affordable!

btw, when i was working in LA for that summer way back in college they were paying me about $3200 a month. you just gotta find the right firm.

Feb 19, 07 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Sell out and go work at Jerde. You can live and work at the beach, it makes designing shopping malls all the more palatable.

Feb 19, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

I am taking the bus now. Its not that bad, my road rage is now non existant and now I have time to read. The westside is for project managers. Silverlake and K-town is for the rest of us.

Feb 19, 07 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

Anyone staying near Toy Factory or living in warehousing???

Feb 20, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

[url=http://www.ladad.com/loftlist.htm] this organization compiles a list of lofts in downtown los angeles. its $15 for a copy. i bought a copy last year when they still had listings that were $1/sqft (it might be rare to find these deals now but check it out)...plus you'll find buildings that aren't listed on the newspaper or any other rental classified ads...

Feb 20, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

moving to LA essentials for survival:

1. craigslist
2. thomasguide
3. taco stands
4. a friend's couch

after 3 months you'll be fine.

Feb 20, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

if my math is correct...i don't think that to pull down $3K post taxes youre sal would be 44K, it's probably closer to 54K. Cause once you hit anything above 40K or is it 39K, you are being taxed somewhere around 30% (thanks uncle sam - rat bastards).

so yeah....quite expensive. I say find somewhere cheaper than the west side (maybe K town) and commute (sell the car and get a scooter) and/or take the bus.

Feb 20, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

You're right, squirrelly. I make more than 44k pre-tax (thousands more), but post-tax only pull in $2,500/month. Call it $2,750/month if I didn't contribute to my 401(k), but 44k definitely doesn't equal $3000/month.

Feb 20, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

I live in a live/work loft in downtown that is probably one of the best deals on loft living in all of LA...

Big claim, I know... But there is several available now ranging from about $1000/month for 750sf to $1600/month for about 1200sf.

Skyline view, exposed brick walls, 13 ft ceilings, secured parking...

Email me if your interested.

Feb 20, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

What would an average user have to pay for monthly utilities....and a parking space???

Feb 20, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
lovebird

I sleep on a shelf I built under the Santa Monica Pier.

Feb 21, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Pasadena is affordable

Feb 21, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
n_

echo park is decently affordable. fair warning, it's transitional but has great character.

Feb 21, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

echo park is overpriced

Feb 21, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

r u cute?
I kid I kid.....

Chewie....you might just find "pockets" btwn those places mentioned. I know loads of architect types that love echo park and silverlake, but frankly, you can still live in a decent place and not get ripped off. Find the places like Eagle Rock (btwn Pasadena and Silverlake/downtown) or Burbank, or parts of Hollywood. You get the picture. Some are better than others, but if you're on a budget, you'll see that a little legwork will save ya cash (and you wont have to sell your car or live in a "archi" type community - unless you really want to).

Feb 22, 07 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
lovebird

ok, so I don't really live under the Santa Monica Pier. Wanna take over our lease? We live in a guest house in West L.A. The rent is 1050 and has 11 ft ceilings and an amazing back yard. No asbestos. I'll share pictures if you're interested.

Feb 22, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

well i am looking for a private place......with the warehousey feel n look or that loftie feeling. welling to commute to the venice/marina del ray area from downtown....i really dont have a clue what the parking situation is like...horrible i bet......gggggrraahhh!!! (wookie battlecry)

Feb 23, 07 12:49 am  · 
 · 
garpike

loftie feel? loftie dreams.

Feb 23, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

hehe garpike!

Feb 23, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: