Archinect
anchor

Transferring newspaper print

Monolith

Trying to transfer print from a newspaper on top of a drawing. I always seem to be able to acheive this effect by accident when I leave a coffee cup on a thin sheet of newspaper on a wooden table top (obviously getting me in trouble!).

Would anyone know how to do this or have a link to an explanation. Tried lightly wetting wallpaper brush then wiping over sheet of newspaper on top of a sample drawing but to no avail.

Cheers.

Feb 18, 07 12:09 pm
Janosh

In a well ventilated place...

Put the inked side down (works best with a photocopy or laser print of what you are trying to transfer - newspaper has ink on both sides and will mess you up). Apply acetone to a paper towel. Apply paper towel lightly to the top of the paper (with the ink on the bottom). Ta da.

The text will be backwards. Using a laser print will allow you to flip it before you print.

Feb 18, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

you might even want to try janosh's technique with a piece of wax paper underneath the image, transfer image to wax paper, then from wax paper to the surface by burnishing the image onto the surface, that just might work and will reverse the backward image...

Feb 18, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

Thanks folk. Not sure if we have any acetone in the house today, but will go fetch some. Plenty of other corrosive substances around though I'm sure.

There isn't another substitute for acetone by any chance is there? Something you might find in your average house/garage?

Thanks again.

Feb 18, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

Just had a quick go with some nail polish remover. Didn;t work though as I put too much on a paper towel and got scared of the fumes, running away!

Ahem...compose yourself now mono.

Feb 18, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

if you have a wife or girlfriend, are a female yourself (or a man who likes to paint his nails for that matter), you can use nailpolish remover as long as it's the pure acetone version.

Feb 18, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

get acetone at home depot, i think its used for just about everything...

Feb 18, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

Ahh thanks brocco.. my sister doesn't have the 'pure' stuff. Seems to be a mix of various scary sounding chemicals. Presumably the 'impure' stuff won't work?

Feb 18, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

for nail polish remover, if it's untinted (clear) and doesn't have any perfume mixed in you should be ok.

beta's right though...home depot for the good stuff if you're unsure.

Feb 18, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

a clear CHARTPAK AD blender marker will also do the trick

Feb 18, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

You can use pine or eucalyptus oil in place of the acetone. Apply the oil to the original's face, put it on the recieving surface, and burnish the hell out of the back of the original.

Feb 18, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

acrylic gel medium transfers.. a bit messy, but neat effect!

Feb 18, 07 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
postal

silly putty

Feb 18, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
dierxap

The Clear markers is the trick...but..as said earlier..WELL VENTILATED.

The actual chemical in the markers is called Xylol. This can be purchased by the can from the hardware store. But again...the stuff kills brain cells and may be linked to fertility.

Feb 19, 07 8:14 am  · 
 · 
dierxap

Infertility....oops

Feb 19, 07 8:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: