Archinect
anchor

jean nouvel_ripoff artist?

holz.box

so in the latest issue/rag of arch record floating around the office, is the new musee du quai branly by nouvel.

it features a fixed brise soleil system, that eerily looks a lot like the firestation completed by sauerbruch + hutton's fire and police station in berlin...

is nouvel just ripping people off blatantly now? or is he trying to out-do s+h?

Feb 16, 07 12:43 pm
holz.box

oh. the firestation can be found here (second project from left).

Feb 16, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
shogo664

Hey Holz.

I can def. see similarities, certainly along the southern edge and the informational garden. The colored panels are very similar to the H+S fire station in Berlin. The Quai Branly facility is huge ($266 M) and has many faces however. So a direct rip off...probably not, but perhaps a little architectural sampling?

If I were to comment on the new JN building, I would say it is really about too many partii. It seems like there is just a little too much going on. But it is a big building and sits in a very 'French' part of Paris, so perhaps the goal was to make it feel smaller and less obtrusive?? I do appreciate the scale of the facades, as the seem to really pay homage to the surrounding apartments and buildings.

Another less appealing aspect is the museum's interior. I am assuming JN's office did them. Again, a complete disconnect from the exterior. The interiors at first glance look like a bad hotel on the Las Vegas strip. They are dark, and have way too many themes goin gon for my taste. I personally like museums with more natural light.

On the other had, I think the landscaping by Atelier Acanthe- G. Clement is quite amazing. http://www.gillesclement.com/ Dynamic and unique landscape and exterior experiences.

I think the diagram and partii in the Berlin fire station is much cleaner and more resolved.

Thanks for the thread, and good eye!

Feb 16, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
switters

and who did s+h get it from? and why is authenticity so important. nothing is more fabricated than a sense of authenticity of architecture.

Feb 16, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

dammit switters - i wrote that in a paper 5 years ago!!!!!!

Feb 16, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Why is authenticity so important? I mean who did s+h get it from? They got it from somewhere. Authenticity in Architecture is mere fabrication.

Let me be the first to go on record to say that!

Feb 17, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
nils

ideas belong to those who use them
N.

Feb 20, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
shogo664

well put nils...and wouldn't it be great if you could actually get paid for good ideas, original or not...every problem is unique, but perhaps similar ideas can be used to solve mulitple problems. But wouldn't it be if designers could make bank on the ideas they bring to the table. Certainly would change the profession and how the public views the profession. Probably would change how architects view other architect's ideas??

switters: authenticity is important only to those who desire it. And I suspect those who desire it are looking for peer and public recognition to satisfy their huger for fame.

Feb 23, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

I visited the Quai Branly project the other weekend. I was surprised to find the cheap fibreglass looking 'earthworks' in the interior were actually upholstered in leather! Bizzare.
Anyway, I was surprised to find the exhibits - especially the masks and votive figurines - quite hypnotic in their dimly-lit setting.
One thing's for sure: at least someone in Nouvel's office is having an absolute ball with the detailing.

Feb 23, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

both seem very much in line with current trends; maybe they had the same idea without even seeing each other's project?

They are both unique & interesting but not wildly original. I frequently see solutions that seemed patently my own pop up in new buildings, with 'ripping off' completely impossible. maybe the same root inspiration? just conjecture.

Feb 24, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
nils

what will be fun will be for our grand children, when they'll look at those trendy details, and look at them the way we look at early 70's projects with bronze windows are poorly executed raw concrete.
Jean N is a "performer" and a guy with great ideas... i wish he just didn't built so trendy...Would be true masterpieces if some details were done with more modesty. Some of his small projects like the Perigueux museum are way more interesting and sober than the Branly project.

N

Feb 26, 07 3:21 am  · 
 · 
j-turn

the quai branly project was a big let down, but you have to admit, overall S+H aren't fit to hold jean nouvel's jock strap.

Feb 26, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: