Archinect
anchor

GEHRY TECHNOLOGIES - BUILDING INFORMATION MODEL TECHNOLOGY

---@(^0_0^)@---

Hey guys,

Please give me your opinions on the fairly new BIM (Building Information Model) technology. I was recently in Hong Kong and sat in on a presentation given by an asian construction company who uses this technology. They were talking about how it assisted them to integrate the design development phases and the construction phases.

At the moment this technology is being marketed to Architecture firms. Personally, I don't think we as Architects would really benefit from it. Yes, we learn more about construction details but will we be biting off too much for us to chew if it is implemented within our firms?

Feb 16, 07 12:37 am
joe

I dont know about theirs, but revit has its place. for better or worse.
and it is a big time saver with schedules and other misc things. and it also saves time and modifies all drawings/sheets simutaneously when changes are made. from what little experience I have on it, the learning curve is pretty steep. so thats an investment too:training.... like I said, I dont know the gehry program, but they have to be pretty similar, in at least most capacities.

Feb 16, 07 1:33 am  · 
 · 
pvbeeber

Are you implying that architects shouldn't have to dirty their hands with minor details like figuring out how their buildings are put together? Architecture IS "construction details," and architects can never "bite off too much for them to chew." Control is good.

Feb 16, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I will not critic Revit , but from my point of view Revit very much mimic the brave old accounting and detail projecting -- nothing wrong with that it's just the bored style I don't apriciate.
Revit is lke architect applications from the very start tried to profit the 3D computer objects and true much thougt have gone into presenting the good old entities an other way , but it is long known technology, calculations to render true models, the same old 3D Solid representing a brick wall as useal, the obvious calculations of volume weight aso. the trivial 2D way of thinking , and just there my critic must be.
Emagine you ask the computer instead, do a computed 3D model , a framework woven together to form a lightweight structure instead of bricks, bricks and bricks . Revit try to mimic the way things are done, it work , and that is fine , but to do the right choice you myst , I think, also know what the program acturly do , and what it could have done instead.

Revit houses are neat and the colors are , if not, this years trend in colors , then atleast boring and very very little innovative, 3D-H oposed work compleatly upside head down , that that --- here the structure need no book keeping it is there already in the 3D drawinge, the final fram in the framework by entity defination , hold more than enough information to realy produce the part , it's number yield the weight . cost by cut feet and various material , 3D-H is a compleat other world and it is not boring. It offer the exact same information and calculations beside a mountain more room for creativity and innovation. No room for that with Revit.

Feb 16, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: