Archinect
anchor

Stair Tread Visibility

weAREtheSTONES

Has anyone ever designed an exterior stair railing that needs a visibility stipe on the nosing of the stair tread???
-I have - just not on a historic building - usually we just put down some reflective tape on the tread

-the problem is the stair is brick so laying down a peice of reflective tape is out of the question!
-painting the nosing on a historic brick stair looks like shit!

-any ideas - anything would help...thanks!

Feb 15, 07 5:21 pm
mdler

change the direction of the brick course... use differnt color mortar or different color bricks on the nosing...drill holes in the brick and fill with a different colored mortar...or paint

Feb 15, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

toothing in a different brick color?

Feb 15, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

well i didnt really think of that ... good ideas definatly - but im not to sure how the university would be about ripping up 10 treads to put in another color brick or mortar just on the nosing...but i really like the last corse of brick going perpendicular to the other corses...but then again its also a lot of money...well see

Feb 15, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

you can buy bricks with grooves pre-cut in them or with a metal strips (usually about 1/16 protrusion)...but mdler's version seem more in tune if you are used to putting down just relflective strips

Feb 15, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

stones....cheapest way (yet still very effective)

run the circular saw a few times along the edge of the brick steps....at a decent spacing, inject with coloured mortar or compound...ACE has pre-mixed reflective paint for less that 20

it won't look too crappy if you do it that way

Feb 15, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

nice thats awesome - i like that one even better - still pretty cheap but the labor cost would im sure kill the idea...if it were my building and i had any of these choices - i would pick that last one for sure...scoring the brick 4 or 5 times per tread and filling it in w/ a contrasting colored mortar - that would look sweet

- i was thinking of scoring a 1/2" deep x 1/4" thick cut into the brick about 4 or 5 times 1/2" apart starting 3/4" from the face of the brick
-do ya think 3/4" is enough meat so that if someone steps there the nosing doesnt break off or chip away

Feb 15, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

hopefully DSA doesnt knock the idea...bastards!!!

Feb 15, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: