Archinect
anchor

Identity the material

KheeKhee

Please verify the material used in the staircase.

Jun 28, 12 2:55 pm
i r giv up

nope.

Jun 28, 12 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I'm going to go with wood with a paint finish.  Are all of the treads about 1.5" thick?

Jun 28, 12 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

+ air

Jun 28, 12 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

curt, that's what i thought. the grain is kinda visible.

Jun 28, 12 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

Structural steel with enamel coating.

This is a design disaster, FYI.

Floating staircases are dangerous, expensive and illegal. And frankly, they're pretty stupid when you look at the cost versus the life of the house and its residents.

Jun 28, 12 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

no james!

they are 4-foot cantilevered wood planks, as identified by our resident detectives. Arrrrrr.

Jun 28, 12 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

why enameled steel?  I think dimensional lumber would stand up if it's only about 30" long and has a staircase on the other side of that wall that's around 4' long so it's pinned in 2 locations (overhanging beam rather than cantilever).  If they were spending money on quality materials, surely they would have a handrail?  something to grab onto when you trip between stairs since there's nothing to kick your toe against.

I'm not married to the wood idea.  just a guess.

Jun 28, 12 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
design

oh look

Jun 28, 12 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

That photo makes a good point.  "Pure" materials are actually somewhat uncommon in contemporary construction because hybrids, blends, etc are often the best way to deal with the multiple requirements of architecture: strength, water resistance, flexibility, aesthetic value, etc.

Yo!

Jun 28, 12 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

" because hybrids,"

I'm gonna use this to answer any technical question from now on.

Ze word you are looking for is 'clad', yo!

Jun 28, 12 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

yeah, that thing is pretty fucking ugly.

Jun 28, 12 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I am afraid of heights. You'd never get me to go up or down those stairs!

Jun 28, 12 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: