Archinect
anchor

Architecture - a high profile profession

laistm

what do you think? Is architecture a high profile profession?

Feb 14, 07 1:54 am
A Center for Ants?

the main character on "how i met your mother" is an architect.

Feb 14, 07 2:09 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

David Hasselhoff is an architect in 'Click'.

Don't hassel the Hoff.

Feb 14, 07 2:13 am  · 
 · 
captinsane

I am not sure if movie star roles = high profile, but Lake House???

Probably the only movie I have seen where the Profession of Architecture has ANY bearing on the story WHATSOEVER...

I'd say most people believe it has high profile value, but no one knows why...or how...

I'd like to think it's high profile - but that's just because I want to be high profile...

...hang on...what am i saying, i AM high profile..bwahahahaha

(Signed...a really very small intern in regional Queensland, Australia doing Plotmaker CAD monkeying in his 2x2 cubicle)

Feb 14, 07 2:27 am  · 
 · 
laistm

of course its a high profile profession...i think :)

Feb 14, 07 2:59 am  · 
 · 
n_

yea, most people think i'm awesome when i tell them i'm an architect (intern). i have been told by many common folk that the architects (intern) carry the same prestige as doctors and lawyers to them.

what can i say, we clearly are important and amazing people.

Feb 14, 07 8:15 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

These links are not entirely on-point, but they are related:

Most Prestigious Occupations

Are you proud of your job?

Feb 14, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 
laistm

interesting....hmm....

Feb 14, 07 9:18 am  · 
 · 
trace™

yup, people hold architects in high regard....until they learn what an architect really does. Then it's like 'oh, so you guys don't do all that crazy math to hold up skyscrapers? Then what do you do?'

and the respect needle plummets

Feb 14, 07 9:27 am  · 
 · 
archiphreak

Elvischyld, people may tell you that they believe you carry the same prestige as a doctor or a lawyer (bottom feeder), but I guarantee that "prestige" will go right out the window the minute you give them a proposal for design and your fees are the same as a doctor or lawyer. I recently went after a single family home project and had to come to the very humbling and depressing realization that the average client sees an Architect's fees as a less important thing than the contractor's fees. Let's face it, the average person may think Architects are wonderful and contribute to the betterment of society, blah blah blah, but when it comes down to actually hiring an Architect to perform these services for them it's time to play the "Nickel and Dime Game". And let me tell you, we (Architects) are almost always the losers. Unless of course we are fortunate enough to get that ONE client who truly believes in us and our design and is willing to pay for it. With that we can start to call ourselves StArchitects.
Ok, now i'm just ranting. I seem to be doing that alot lately. Please pay no attention to the rantings of the jaded and cynical. Does any one have a tissue?

Feb 14, 07 9:30 am  · 
 · 
n_

i completely agree with you.

i think there is prestige with our professional title but, when it comes down to it, most people will say "well, i can design a building too, its not like brain surgery."

Feb 14, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Architects doing major projects are held with prestige, the rest of us...well unless you doing houses which are published on a regular
basis....the prestige is not there.

Feb 14, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

what is a "high profile" profession?

Feb 14, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I wonder how the prestige list will change if they really knew what architects did and I'm not 100% positive it will necessarily go down.

My parents still ask me to "design" and get estimates for their kitchen counter and some people I know think architects draw pictures of "pretty" buildings.

Feb 14, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
shanek

Maybe the following scene from seinfeld will answer this question :-)

[Setting: Susan Ross Foundation conference room]

GEORGE: Ladies and gentlemen, this (Opens the door, Steven is standing there) is Steven Koren. His G.P.A. is a solid 2.0! Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind.

WYCK: George, the quailifications for this scholarship were suppose to be.. largely academic.

GEORGE: I'm sure we're all aware of the flaws and biases of standardized tests..

WYCK: These aren't standardized tests - these are his grades.

GEORGE: Besides, Steven Koren has the highest of aspirations. He wants to be (pauses for effect) an architect.

WYCK: Is that right?

STEVEN: Actually, maybe I could set my sights a little bit higher.

GEORGE: (Laughs) Steven, nothing is higher than an architect.

STEVEN: I think I'd really like to be a city planner. (Sits down, addressing the entire foundation board) Why limit myself to just one building, when I can design a whole city?

WYCK: Well, that's a good point.

GEORGE: (Mutters) No, it's not.

STEVEN: Well, isn't an architect just an art school drop-out with a tilty desk, and a big ruler? (Laughs - so do the board members)

GEORGE: (Irritated) It's called a T-square.

WYCK: You know, the stupidest guy in my fraternity became an architect - after he flunked out of dental school! (Everyone but George laughs) Contratulations, young man. (Shakes Steven's hand)

STEVEN: Thank you.

WYCK: Susan would be proud of what you're doing.

STEVEN: Thank you.

Feb 14, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

Oh i'm boiling. Where did that come from??

I am high profile!

Shit I should marry a movie star...a really hot one!

Feb 14, 07 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: