Archinect
anchor

Second M.Arch?

difficultfix

I was reading on wikipedia..and I read this?

"Eric Owen Moss was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. He received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1965. Moss continued his education, earning his Masters of Architecture from the University of California, Berkeley, College of Environmental Design in 1968 and a second Masters of Architecture from Harvard University Graduate School of Design in 1972."

Is their a reason why ? a second masters....is this possible?

Just curious

Feb 13, 07 3:40 pm
mfrech

i know this is the wrong post for this, but...

eric owen moss = tony shaloub?

Feb 13, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

my guess is schools will let you aquire degrees until your blue in the face....i mean why not...more $$$ for them.

Feb 13, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I am assuming that this is like someone who has recieved a master of Architeture...Then goes to maybe Sciarc for their Post grad SCI-Fi masters of architecture...

Am i Right...

Feb 13, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

I think you're basically right. Most Arch. grad schools offer usually 1-year post-professional degree Master's programs. Many reasons to do it, not least of which is acquiring cultural capital. If I got my first professional degree from a so-so school, and get a 1-year at, say, Yale, I can put MArch, Yale by my name. Also different schools have different emphases, resources etc. that one might want to explore. I'd think it is primarily advantageous for people who want to teach.

Feb 13, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

m.arch I
m.arch II

seems like if you're gonna bother with a second masters, you may as well go for the PhD

Feb 13, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
postal

i think moss new that the harvard name would boost his rep and the phd would bring him snickers from the praciticing architectural community... must be nice to have $$$

Feb 13, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

I agree postal. And it looks like he was right.

Feb 13, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

i know a guy that did MAAUD at columbia then March2 at harvard the next year. I know this guy, but i don't know his reasons why. .... why?

Feb 13, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
captinsane

Go figure...

My understanding is that many Architecture Courses are changing their undergraduate titles to "Masters of Architecture" (or at least in the Asia-Pacific Region). As such my university (QUT in Australia) has introduced this new course... It is only worth the same as a B.Arch. when it comes to registration etc...but it leaves us all wondering..

...what if i want to do post grad... (aka my masters, post grad cert, etc etc)... what do we enrol in when the masters course is undergrad, and there is nothing new in it anyway (the same equivalent units as B.Arch).

...meh. I spent many hours discussing such things with University administrators trying to sort out exactly what was going on...

Feb 13, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

I'm probably going for a second masters many reasons, but its also an easier way of learning things that sitting at home trying to master rhino|maya [fill in blanks]

Feb 13, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
lullaby

Easy man...because it's GSD, it's worthy!

Feb 13, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

I have way too many credentials – why? It's kind of hard to pass up obtaining another degree if your employer is paying and you love to learn. Besides, like architechnophilia said, it beats sitting at home trying to master a program by yourself. Been there done that. Seriously, though, to each his own - Carpe diem - And the GSD credentials certainly couldn't hurt.

Feb 14, 07 12:42 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

At last count I have 3 master's degrees...
hmmm.Now If i could only remember what they were for...

Feb 14, 07 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Katze

when you remember, call me...:)

Feb 14, 07 1:09 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

but I dont have your phone number

Feb 14, 07 1:16 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
555-52893
Feb 14, 07 1:29 am  · 
 · 
Katze
867-5309
Feb 14, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: