Archinect
anchor

indoor fireplace cooking

sloring

Does anyone know of a product/way of making an indoor fireplace that will allow you to cook/grill on it? I've been searching for a while and haven't been able to come up with much, so any help would be much appreciated!!!

Feb 13, 07 10:54 am
cln1

ive seen older houses with massive chimneys where on one side is a fireplace and the other is an indoor BBQ - note that these must rise in separate flues. and there may be a specific, local requirement for the use of open flame cooking, fire prevention and hood venting.

Feb 13, 07 11:10 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Here's something that might work:

Ecosmart Burner Kit

Feb 13, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

On second thought, with grease dripping from a grille, that could be scary.

Feb 13, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
postal

scary = interesting

Feb 13, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I did a house with an fireplace with an grill in a Kitchen. The hearth was 36" above the finish floor. One must understand you better be sure to have your chimney flue cleaned once a year. We embedded stainless steel rods in the side walls at every over fire brick coursing to allow for a stainless steel grill toset on. I did it fifteen years ago and the house is still standing, so don't think you have to worry about
burning the house down. Just be sure to size the flues to match the opening along with all of the other components of a fire place.

My other advice is go with a known Mason......they don't want to have to come back an fix a smoking fireplace.

Feb 13, 07 6:17 pm  · 
2  · 
holz.box

brick oven?

Feb 13, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

open fireplace....

Feb 13, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

viking range?

Feb 13, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

viking....don't go there

Feb 13, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

except for a funeral

Nov 9, 20 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

check out Tulukivi fireplaces. they're made with soapstone that magically holds it's heat for a very long time, making them efficient as heaters. they are also designed to burn wood hotter, making them more clean and environmentally sound. you probably won't be able to grill with one, but many have built-in wood fired ovens for making bread and pizza, etc.

www.tulikivi.fi

www.warmstone.com

Jun 11, 10 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Are you thinking a new build or is this converting an existing fireplace for cooking?  A fireplace for real cooking is going to be big

and also may be a different height

Nov 9, 20 4:25 pm  · 
2  · 
apscoradiales

sloring,

do some googling...like this;

Nov 9, 20 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Cover art

Google + George = delicious!

Nov 9, 20 8:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Might look into having a kitchen outbuilding like many of the colonial mansions did. Not only for safety's sake but so you won't bring in heat to the rest of the house in summer.

Nov 10, 20 6:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: