Archinect
anchor

Black Starchitect!!

veuxdeux

betadinesutures,

just for your info, Marlon Blackwell is not black.

Feb 18, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

oh he's not, my bad, i thought he was...color me embarassed. doh.

Feb 18, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

architechnophilia, that description could have almost nothing to do with race, that just sounds plain awesome :P

Feb 18, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

A few more names- this one for those OG Los Angeleno's - Joe Addo, now back on the mother continent.

back to the east coast- don't overlook NY's own Max Bond, FAIA of Davis Brody Bond

for the fairer sex- Maya Lin is identified as an architect in the public's mind- a very sparkley!

anybody go to school with a potential/aspiring starchitect of color?

I had a few in my class at OSU...

Feb 18, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

thanks nambypambics

the facial tattoos are a little hard to swallow...similarly the glasses since I have great eye site

Feb 18, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Built architecture if it is an art-form, is largely driven by social, political, cultural (market), and economic power rather than "talent". Basically, because what is built, what is published, and what is recorded as architectural history all require big money investment, and "acceptance".

It's all not really much experimentation and innovation, not really free, and cannot be fully culturally open if it is profit driven... It's all fashion and market driven, except its even less open than the fashion industry because the material and labor costs so damn much for one building.

The question is: what might an architectural subculture be? Is it just the stuff that happens in architecture studios in schools? Where are those architectures that are on the fringes that challenge what is possible? Architectural undergrounds? Do they even exist in practice? Where are the architects that work outside of the mainstream? Are they all bankrupt? Or does anything that is different (in a good way) inevitably ultimately get assimilated into the "starchitectural" hollywood industry?

Feb 18, 07 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: