Archinect
anchor

How do you express your architectural values....

Hello (again),

I'm collecting personal narratives about place/architecture/values (I've widened the focus a little bit since my last post/question:prev. post)

This week's query:

Without a client, funding, or a site to speak of, what tactics might an architect use to design-- and affect change in--the public realm?

I imagine that this is the situation many of us are in. We're in school, or working for others (client or boss or both). This is the norm, and there's not necessarily anything inherently wrong with that. The making of architecture is all about collaboration, and as an architect, your expertise is most often put to use in service to others.

The problem-- I feel like I'm often compromising, selling my soul, to carry out other's wishes which I often don't agree with. (yes, we've all heard this before) While you may do your best to sell others' on the idea of quality over quanitity, long term over short term value, etc...people often have other priorities--financial and otherwise-- that take precedence (or maybe I'm not persuasive enough). To counter this, save my sanity, and reconnect with my own architectural values/conscience, I find myself actively persuing these personal values outside the office. Sometimes these acts/tactics are subversive, at other times they're mainstream, sometimes they are positive, at other times negative, sometimes they are motivated by selfishness, at other times it is to benefit the greater good.....it always varies

So getting back to the original question at the top of this post, I'm intersted in learning more about what other people do to along those lines....

Thanks in advance for those of you who contribute!

-Camelia

Feb 12, 07 10:21 am
vado retro

Perhaps you would like to participate in the Breuer Library Charrette...

Feb 12, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I found that as soon as I stopped worrying about what I was designing, I became a much happier person. I put in my 40hrs a week, give my clients what they want, and take collect my paycheck. My being happy makes those around me happy

Feb 13, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 

camelia - such a loaded discussion topic.

forgive me but I'll tackle that after 5 hrs sleep and an expresso or two

Feb 13, 07 1:58 am  · 
 · 
simples

for those especially dark days, i have a sketchpad on my desk, which i use to redesign past projects (in sketch form) with some of those restrictions taken off...as it's merely an exercise in creativity, feel free to remove client, then compromise program, then budget, then codes, etc...pragmatism can be very addictive...

this exercise also serves to ensure you don't begin to use our profession as an excuse for lazy designing...and gives you a personal outlet to express your architectural values...

Feb 14, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
simples

though Vado's response presents a much more productive alternative...:)

Feb 14, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am so with mdler on this. call me a sellout. except i don't make that much money but to me its all the same. i have no passion for it.

Feb 14, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

vado, no passion for what you do?
that's disconcerting for someone like me who will be applying to MArch I programs for Fall '08. Perhaps I should just stay in advertising and at least make money while not caring about my job.

Feb 14, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i never said other people can't be passionate about it...

Feb 14, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
simples

vado...i have no passion for the profession (hatdred more like it), but am absolutely passionate for architecture...perhaps you and mdler adopt the same distinction!?

orenstein...it's incredibly hard to remain passionate about what you do (architecture) on a day-to-day basis...i think that's what this topic is about...

Feb 14, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

fuck off and die

Feb 14, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

well that wasn't very polite.

Feb 15, 07 7:08 am  · 
 · 
desktop

Did someone have a bad Valentines day?

Feb 15, 07 8:24 am  · 
 · 
desktop

Back to the topic.....

This Design Observer article is directed more towards those in visual communications, but the discussion does seem apropos to this thread. Money, creativity, ethics, selling your soul.....

Feb 15, 07 8:39 am  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

on a personal narrative'ish note: maybe as an architect you're supposed to carry out other peoples wishes. I don't think architecture where you're making money involves going into your studio and dreaming up some fabulous 'expression' of your architectural solution to whatever. However, I think the best architects are able to convince/trick/? clients into design proposals that make them happy. That said, should we design stuff that makes us as an individual happy? Is that noble? Oh yeah I forgot we're all 'experts'... To clarify, who says your/my design is making the world better?

I haven't had any coffee/food yet today but thinking about it brings me hope so........

why not do some comps? Do the stuff that makes you feel whorish to pay the rent man then go work on a really smart competition and come up with something fabulous. So you don't win. That's OK, put it on your website and do it all over again. Then do it again. OK so perhaps you don't win ever but you have this fabulous work in your portfolio and the 'right' client sees it and comes to you. Shabam!! You get published and then form a practice with brad pitt.

Feb 15, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

i just read simples.... I hope i don't sound bitter like that. For the record I like most things in my life.

Feb 15, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

Getting involved with academia, without becoming entirely taken over by it, is one way to affect change. You can use the shelter of a university to get engaged with local communities via a model of learning+doing. Like Rural Studio, and others.

Aside from this, I think it's possible to create a practice that builds in the values that are important to you. For example, many firms are now pushing sustainable practices. Personally, I think architecture needs to be more inclusive / democratic in general: design from the bottom-up - local citizens having a voice in the shape of their city. I'm aiming to form a practice that has community participation as an integrated part of the design process.

In any case, I think it works best to approach this profession without cynicism. There's really a full and rich life to explore through design. Gotta carve your own way though - it doesn't seem to get handed out.

Feb 15, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 

its all the same...

from school lecturer steer you in a particular direction

then you present at your desk or a critique

those their would prefer to see a different direction (sometimes)

then you go work for Bob the Builder

he likes things done a certain way, its his office and although the work seems cut ass modern, he wants lighting that resemble swans on all his work

as i said its his office

you branch off start 'my shingle no associates'

projects are slim...

the clients won't sign off

you adjust the design...it has swan lighting...they sign off

its not selling your soul

its the b**f*ck call architecture...get used to it or say fuck it and develop your dreams like most folks doing design|build

Feb 16, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: