Archinect
anchor

"It's so bloody tacky, it's horrible!""

Chch

Esplanade House, Porthcawl, Wales, UK

"We thought very carefully about what was Porthcawl," says Gareth Davies of Stride Treglown Davies. "There was the funfair, the seaside, kiss-me-quick hats and all that. The character of the town was reflected in various elements of the final design. There's stone like a seawall, a facade like a ship's hull, and the apartments at the top of the building are like beach lookout posts, plus the ice cream cone columns and things like that."

report on it here
architects' page here

So...my question is: post-modern masterpiece or vacuous doodle of a building? I know my answer...

PS archinect lords - how about a preview button for posts?

Feb 12, 07 7:00 am
b3tadine[sutures]

post-modern vacuous doodle.

the preview button is adjacent to the submit button.

Feb 12, 07 7:03 am  · 
 · 
Chch

I should clarify, I mean: 'how about a preview button when creating a new topic?'

;)

Feb 12, 07 7:07 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

That might make sense in some tourist trap town in florida, but what the hell is it doing in england? I actually didn't mind it from an architectural standpoint until i saw the ice cream cone "columns". As far as po-mo goes, it ain't THAT bad...

Feb 12, 07 7:53 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I meant wales, 'cuse me.

Feb 12, 07 7:54 am  · 
 · 

its unfair that the image they keep using is that elevation. Seen with the apartments to the rear et al, most of the concept begins to make sense (less the pomo ice-cream cones) - I suspect this will be demolished before it is accepted as part of the welch cultural work

Feb 12, 07 9:12 am  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Appart from the ice cream cones, I think it looks neat.

Feb 12, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
farmer

what does BOTS think?

Feb 12, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
ChAOS

what the hell is that?

Feb 12, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

Welsh archinecter:

http://archinect.com/members/profile_view_ind.php?id=500

Feb 12, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Whats the problem?

Feb 12, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Just found this thread. It's not far away so I'll pay a visit and report back. As a side note Porthcawl has happy memories as it's where I went to the beach during summer holidays when I was a child.

Feb 14, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: