Archinect
anchor

library layouts

Okay i have competition for designing a library and i wanna look at pervious library that have been done so i can see how they layed out there sections in the library.
Thanks

Feb 11, 07 5:10 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

huh?

Feb 11, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Tink the sections must be where they keep the reference books...Ken.

Feb 11, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

wont the books get wet in a pervious library?

Feb 11, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

that IS a good point, but perhaps if you used an impermeable (sp) layer beneath the pervious layer it might protect.

have you tried going to the library to find some library plans? or looking at the entries for the stockholm library competition, or going to the libraries in your area and telling them you are an architect/student and asking for a tour?

Feb 12, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Or, think like a book.
'How do I want to be shelved?'

Sorry, this is funny.

I'm doing two library additions / renovations right now. Ultimately, the books are the least of your concerns (how many ways are there to shelve books, really?).
I've found that the far more critical issue is achieving a sence of the civic nature of the library in an increasingly transient world which resists 'bricks and mortar' civic gestures.
In my opinion, it's about engaging potential users in the social activities that can occur there.

Oh, yeah, and if you're looking for theory and background on library designs, look for publications authored by the organization governing the public libraries in your region. People in the business tend to publish a lot (they're in the book business, after all).

Good luck (and sorry for the mild ridicule above)

Feb 12, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Alvar Aalto

Feb 12, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
James Mayers

Second the Aalto

And third it, too.

Feb 12, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
bntz

dont forget asplundid!

Feb 12, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
postal

viipuri

'nuf said... wait it was already said...

it's a shame that it's difficult to get info on this little library, but I think it kicks all the other alvar's asses, where it all began citags, i kid the other libraries rock as well, but with this little international modernism number, you can see aalto really start out with some small ideers that get developed throughout his work. the modernism makes these qualities really apparent. plus, it's a gorgeously planned building...

it took me forever to find decent drawings of this building, i had to research aalto back in school...

aight, back to work!

Feb 12, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i visited this one a few months back...mount angel abbey library, in a small farm town of mount angel, oregon designed for a benedictine monastery...great site on a butte overlooking a valley of farms...this one especially has the clear intentions of manipulating how light enters the library...

this website has some good photos

Feb 12, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

no way man the library at TUDelft is the shit - where else can you go snowboarding ON a library?

theres a section for ya

theres a plan

Feb 13, 07 11:40 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Dammson...we went to the Aalto library for a studio field trip...one of the most amazing spaces I've been in. The hike up the hill however wasn't as amazing.

Feb 13, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

THEaquino, it is...it has become one of my favorite buildings...when did you go?...i bought the monograph when i was there and inside there were pictures taken during fall...gloomy and red leaves all over...i have to scan that picture to show you...

i went late summer last year and will definitely go again sometime in the future to see it in autumn...

i drove...but hiking sounds fun though...the spirit of hardship!

Feb 13, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

we went in Jan '02. Yeah, the dead of oregon winter...the light in there was still amazing.

My hard drive fried on me a couple years ago and I lost all my pictures...i'll have to go next time I'm there.

Feb 13, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: