Archinect
anchor

lack of sleep causes ....

j-turn

Lack of sleep causes ... wait I can't remember. Oh yeah - it prevents the creation of brain cells and affects memory. Keep that in mind as your next charette goes into the wee hours. That is assumiing you have any memory left after the last allnighter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6347043.stm

Feb 10, 07 3:12 pm
holz.box

yeah, the 30+ all nighters i pulled first year definitely made me retarded.

Feb 10, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

oh - just noticed that someone posted this already. clearly too many allnighters in my past.

Feb 10, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

ok now i'm really worried. last semester i spent TWO 60+ hour days without sleep and countless all nighters

Feb 10, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Yeah... you'll grow out of that. Part of being a good architect is learning shortcuts that won't keep you up all night - make it your goal to never go sleepless because of Architecture by your 3rd year. Brainpower, not horsepower.

Feb 11, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I found getting in the studio as early as possible worked best. So I'd get there at 6 am or so, then be comletely done by 6-8pm. A long day, but I'd get a good night's sleep and actually put in more hours than many that didn't show up until 10 or 11.

Took me till grad school to get it down and continues to this day.

Feb 12, 07 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i went on a sleep deprivation experiment many years ago. wasn't related to school, or work, or anything like that.

it was clearly more of an 'altered states' type of experience.

i went 4 1/2 days completely without sleep. about 110hrs.

after 60 or 70 hours the brain starts working very slowly. no longer tired though, i had surprisingly large amounts of energy. i spent a great deal of time walking around. talking on the phone. attempting to read. the occasional smoke.

pushing 100 hours and normal tasks like speaking, tying shoelaces and what-not became VERY difficult. once i broke 100+ i knew i wasn't going to last too much longer. i was hallucinating wildly and was starting to get pretty panicky.

i had set out trying to get 5 full days, but by 110 hours i was freaking out.

after all was said and done, it was a pretty interesting experiment, though not one i'll be doing again soon.

i only slept for about 14-15 hours afterwards, but was in a decidedly altered state of mind for about a week. kind of like jet-lag.

no long term effects.

my $.02.

Feb 12, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

why are architects masochistic?

Feb 13, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

I once tried to drive for 18 hours strait, after an all nighter. About eight hours into the drive (3am) everything started to spin and the next thing I knew the car was stopped half on the highway, half in the ditch. Lucky for us it was a Volvo, so the car was ok and we continued on our way.

Feb 13, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Ben Franklin was a man who went with little sleep....cause he had no time to sleep cause he was either busy inventing things or making babies.

Feb 13, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
captinsane

I hit 70 hours and started having backspasms...which made hand rendering my first year assignment entertaining to say the least...

...back-spasms is a gerat incentive to learn time management :)

Feb 13, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: