Archinect
anchor

Studio culture and the science of sleep

dmc
binary

sleep more=dont get shyt done=no money

my friends tell me i need to relax.... well, i relax when i sleep the 5-8 hours that i can.....

un-employment is at an all time high....

Feb 9, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
nicomachean

do not get sucked into the destructive all-nighter culture.
permanent damage will result!

Feb 9, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

listen to nico

during school (4+2) I slept about 4 hours a night, now i sleep about 4-5 ; your system gets used to it unfortunately

Feb 9, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

that is exactly why after all-nighters and on the weekends i sleep for 10 hrs. minimum. I love college.

Feb 10, 07 3:32 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

i would always defer to the all-nighter when things had to be done, but i don't think it always helped. it can often stunt productivity when you give yourself an unspecified period of time to accomplish something. sure, they can be exciting and some discoveries can only be revealed at 4 AM when everyone else has been asleep for hours and you're sitting nearly alone in studio, but when weighed against the hours spent spacing out to old bowie tracks it's not always worth it!

Feb 10, 07 11:52 am  · 
 · 
jackalope

There is the trap of "if I'm not pulling an all-nighter, I must not be working hard enough". I'm up all night maybe once a semester and even then, I'll get a couple hours, so not NO sleep. But there are some who do this on a regular basis and I think its BAD all around. Shows not enough care in time management, work not up to par, and danger on the roads, besides starving your brain.

Feb 10, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

bowie and all-nighters to not mix and neither does pink floyd for that matter. They just exacerbate the mind-meltdown.

Feb 10, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
dmc

hahaha. someone was playing pink floyd during a printmaking all-nighter in college. depressing all around. we switched to kylie around 4 am, and the world suddenly seemed like a better place.

Feb 11, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

we would actually have regular 2 AM dance parties featuring awful but peppy pop music...it worked wonders!

Feb 11, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Misen

I was exposed to a lot of good music I wouldn't have listened to otherwise during those late nights.

But nothing will beat listening to "Bridge Over Troubled Water" at three in the morning and everyone suddenly becoming quiet, each to their own thoughts, silently cutting their chipboard, etc...

Feb 11, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

damn I miss studio...

Feb 11, 07 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

massive attack from midnight to 2am; after that it has to be drum & bass

Feb 12, 07 12:46 am  · 
 · 
I love archinect

your a professional, you need sleep to be a pro.

Feb 12, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

For all the complaining about all nighters I 'm guessing there is also a lot of dog fucking going on during actual studio time like smoking and drinking coffee and bitching about deadlines and profs!!!! I rallied against the all nighters as it was totally stupid and the results were never worth the efforts. I was way happier delivering quality and a resolved piece of trace paper masking tape to the class than some polished piece of crap ( yes trace ) Rember folks its about the ideas not the finished graphics.... finished graphics are for you portfolio that you can work on all summer.

Feb 12, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

resolved good ideas + polished graphics and models > resolved ideas

that's why i stay up.

punk from 10pm - 2am
bach from 2am - 4am
no music after 4am unless someone is being noisy

Feb 12, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

Taken from An Incomplete Manifesto for Growth:

18. Stay up late. Strange things happen when you’ve gone too far, been up too long, worked too hard, and you're separated from the rest of the world.

Feb 12, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Speaking of wierd shit happening with sleep deprovation, after spending 72 hrs awake getting ready for review, i was in the shower and out of the blue i suddenly thought i was santiago calatrava.

Feb 12, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

um, yeah.

at a previous job i inherited a drawing set / project done on all-nighter crisis mode. spent 4 times my budget in CA fixing all the stupid mistakes that were made.

you do all-nighters in school, you really shouldn't do them in the professional world. if you DO, please by ALL means do NOT employ the all-nighter during the CD process.

because that fuck-up is the ONLY part of the drawings that the contractor will actually look at.

Feb 12, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Geoffgc

my first semester, a wise prof pointed out that if we showed up at 8am, and did some serious work till 5pm, we'd accomplish far better quality and quantity of work, than those that spread the same work over 20 hrs of the day interspersed with coffee, beer, jack-in-the-box, sittin on the couch, playing games, etc.

Now that I'm older and slightly slower, I can really notice the difference in my production from 5am till noon, as opposed to 5pm till midnight.

Feb 13, 07 12:40 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

i once fell asleep on the crapper a few days before jury...

Feb 13, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
ochona

i fell asleep eating an enchilada after having been up for 37 straight hours

Feb 13, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: