Archinect
anchor

Pen Tablets

quixotica

I looked through some of the archive at the dicussions on Pen Tablets, but they all seem to have been from a few years ago. I was wondering what the current feeling is on Pen Tablets, Specifically the Wacom. Is there a better brand for graphic design work? What about the size? is the 9X12 woth the extra money or is a 6X8 good enough?

Feb 9, 07 2:02 pm
nRyArch

Hello. Does anyone have any new info on this. I bought a wacom tablet to try out and I am not sure if it is something I would want to bring to work until I can be sure it is going to be at least as effective as a mouse. It does seam to be more comfortable though. What do you all think? Mouse or pen? I am mainly using revit at work.

Mar 7, 08 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
dutchmodernist

You map the screen to the size of your tablet, I can't imagine needing more than a 6x8.

I use a 6x8 to do autocad, microstation, and CS3. I use the pen in my right hand while working a trackball mouse in my left hand to pan and zoom. It's easy to just hold the pen while you type commands.

I'm sure it's funny to watch me work.

...ambidextrous little cad monkey...

Mar 8, 08 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
makelovebeforearchitecture

Wacom Intuous A4, (bigger won't fit in a (laptop) bag)
In stead of a trackball mouse, you can combine it with a Spacenavigator... to pan and zoom easily... perfect combination for me

Mar 9, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
nRyArch

Interesting... Do you think it is more efficient than a good mouse? Also, does it provide less strain? Is that why you use this set-up? What are the benefits and the downsides???

Mar 9, 08 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
dutchmodernist

I don't think I would have a functioning hand if I hadn't been using a tablet for the past 9 years...

Mar 9, 08 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

tablet is a must i would never go w.o.

Mar 10, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

forget all the tablets, I want the Cintiq!

Mar 10, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
makelovebeforearchitecture

@nRy:
Especially in Autocad the Intuous zoom-strip is not really handy to replace the scrollwheel zooming (breaks zooming into annoying 'steps') (Though in other software (Adobe) it works quite handy). A 3dexplorer can be helpful to pan and zoom (even in 2d autocad), and is ofcourse a very helpful tool in 3d maya, 3ds, rhino....

Left: 3dnavigator, middle: keyboard, right: intuous. (for righthanded use)

Mar 10, 08 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
nRyArch

The Cintig does look pretty nice! Is that not a tablet too though?

So from what we have all talked about it seams apparent that the tablet pen is much better for photo shop all around. It might be better for programs such as rhino, and Maya.

However the issue still stands: Is the tablet pen just as efficient or more efficient for use with CAD or revit? Comparing a combination of a tablet pen and a 3D space mouse vs. a good standard mouse.

It also is safe to say that a tablet pen is much more comfortable than a standard mouse and causes less strain.

Mar 10, 08 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: