Archinect
anchor

Website Backgrounds

quixotica

I know it's probably not something most people pay attention to, but in a design forum, I'm sure someone does.

I'm looking for good examples of textured backgrounds used in different websites. I'm tired of the old black, white or shades of gray monocolor sites, but i also don't want something too distracting either, just something to break up the monotony a bit. I'm looking so i can figure out what to do with my own site and it's boring background. I feel like while it is not something that most people immediatly notice, if it is done poorly, it can severely affect your viewing pleasure. So, any examples?

Feb 6, 07 2:32 pm
Client

a really good looking interior designer told me it takes away from the images on the site and makes the site look like 'mr rogers'

Feb 6, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Chch
http://k10k.net/pixelpatterns/
Feb 6, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Chch Thanks! that helps a lot!

Client, I definatly know what you mean, I've had my fair share of distracting backgrounds, but i feel like theres gotta be a better solution than nothing. check out www.metaphoricclothing.com they have a nice bright, not dristracting but still not just completly blank background, and I think that is the type of look i am going for.

Feb 6, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

just a random suggestion: try scanning fabrics & materials and adjusting in photoshop to achieve the not too distracting effect...

Feb 6, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

make your own

http://www.tilemachine.com/

Feb 6, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Client

tile machine=cool

yeah maybe this designer was wrong

Feb 6, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

yeah that tile machine is pretty awesome. but dammson you got me thinking about this crazy ass quilt my aunt made for me a long time ago, if i scanned in a piece of that and turned down the opacity that could be interesting.

Feb 6, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Here's a site that hasn't changed in years - except the background, which changes with each reload:

SurfStation

Feb 6, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: