Archinect
anchor

Blank

trish

The time is running out for me to finish a project Bartlett as requested before calling for an interview. I know what i want to do but can't get it done. It must be stress...........i want to scream

Feb 6, 07 9:19 am

what is it? can we offer peanut gallery comments?

Feb 6, 07 9:27 am  · 
 · 
trish

They want me to dicribe concisely - through a visual response - a sequence of six moments of my daily live using a range of media on a maximum of 6 A4 pages.

Feb 6, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 

cool! like a comic strip of your life!

so some of the questions that raises, in a quick brainstorm:

-six consecutive moments or six isolated ones?

-should the scenario(s) be active (rock-climbing) or contemplative (reading)? or both?

-should the visual response be literal/figural or more abstract? could it be diagrams?

-would you use media with which you have a facility or try something new?

-what graphic quality would you go for? crisp/designed/reserved or crazy/organic/spirited?

-in order to form relationships between each, will you put each on its own a4 or put more than one on a sheet? or all on one sheet?

brainstorming always helps me. that way you're NEVER faced with a blank sheet of paper. you need something to which you can respond critically: even bad ideas can trigger good ones. and seemingly good ideas should hardly ever be left alone because they can be made better.

Feb 6, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 
trish

It's the amount of options that confuses me and the pressure because i really want to get in this course

Feb 6, 07 11:12 am  · 
 · 

first rule of any design project: there is no such thing as THE answer, but you really need AN answer. once you have one, you have something upon which you can make improvements.

if you're waiting to be inspired, you'll probably miss the deadline.

Feb 6, 07 11:20 am  · 
 · 
oe

Frame 1: At your desk.

Frame 2: At your desk.

Frame 3: At your desk.

Frame 4: At your desk.

Frame 5: Curled in a ball, under your desk.

Frame 6: At your desk.

Feb 6, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
trish

You're right Steven, i just have to get on with it

OE yeah that's me lol

Feb 6, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
michael garrett

why not just carry six pages through the day and expose them to your physical environment. i.e. coffee stains, graphite dust, body fluids, parking lot oil stains, etc. etc.

i dunno just a first response. ;)

Feb 6, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i like these projects by perry kulper...the different lines, image clippings, drawings, texts, stickers etc. were added iteratively and through a span of time

Feb 6, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

for the larger image
Feb 6, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

1. If too many options are causing problems, simply limit your options. Pick a medium or two.

2. perhaps you shouldn't try to pick six things that 'summarise' your day. pick details: tiny things that nobody would even bother to notice. or huge things, too big to see.

Feb 6, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
trish

Great tips guys, i'l keep you posted on how i'm doing, wish me luck : )

Feb 7, 07 8:43 am  · 
 · 
trish

Great tips guys, i'l keep you posted on how i'm doing, wish me luck : )

Feb 7, 07 8:43 am  · 
 · 
ChAOS

this is a fun exercise!

i keep thinking of my theory prof in denmark and the exercises he had us do to go with our reading, none of them seemed connected, until we talked about them next class. i finally understood "theory"!

that being said, i keep picturing something mundane, like picking up a pencil, and what a fun opportunity to describe what that is like. remember those exercises as a child where you had to describe how to make a pb&j sandwich? where do you draw the line? do you tell someone to grab some bread and spread pb&j on it or do you describe what a knife is, how to find it, the making of the bread...is it abstract or absolute, detailed or an idea? what does the pencil feel like, how do you know, how do you describe it, what are you doing with it, what is your intent, why did you pick it up in the first place, what is the context in which you picked it up...or do you just draw a picture of a hand grabbing a pencil and attempt to capture the essence of the moment through those two objects.

which leads me to thinking about ron mueck, a scultpure who had an exhibit at the brooklyn musuem of art...he captured the essence of a single moment in his pieces, so much was told in that moment you expected to blink and the pieces would have moved...the moment gone and never coming back...but there it sat, frozen in time...

god i miss school.

Feb 7, 07 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: