Archinect
anchor

Design Fonts:

pvb358

What are your favorite design fonts? Any good minimalist/contemporary fonts out there? Whats a good free font download website?

Aug 5, 04 3:48 pm
Dan

arial

Aug 5, 04 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
blank
typography

alot of great fonts. not a free site by any means, but you can probably find them somewhere if you tried.

Aug 5, 04 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
blank

forgot to mention buro destruct fonts they used to have alot of free fonts, and have designed the typography for RIEA publications.

Aug 5, 04 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush
Univers

awesome sans serif.. not free.

some other free and free/pay sites..

fontmonster
chank
fenotype
fontalicious
fountain
vfive
maniackers
misprinted type "dirty" fonts

some of those require a little snooping around, and those other pages listed in the previous discussion are good too.. especially miniml

Aug 6, 04 2:28 am  · 
 · 
vaaaska

Don't forget Emigre too.

Aug 6, 04 3:46 am  · 
 · 
kaf

CHOLLA!

Aug 6, 04 8:20 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

actually has someone seen Miralles/Taglabue's typography?? the one they use for plans and presentations???, if anyone have it or know where to get it, i would thank if u share it

Aug 6, 04 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Mission St.

helvetica rules, seriously.
for a little more flavor on the sans serif tip: gil sans.

in fact... thinking about it a little bit more. pretty much any san serif/minimalist font can kick ass if you put some effort into laying it out nicely.

fonts are like materials (concrete, steel, glass), their effectiveness depends on how you use them.

Aug 6, 04 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
Kai

if you guys could post pics of the fonts that'd be great, i know I can find them, but it'd be nice

Aug 7, 04 1:38 am  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

MADianito I believe that font is not on the market.
But if you like a font and are willing to put some time to understand its basic structure you can always create your own and make a better one.

PBS:
It's a good idea to put some time into learning which are the basic differences between for example, a Sans Serif, and a Serif font, Helvetica vs. Arial, grotesque. Its good info to learn and it helps you make a better decision as of which is the font best suited for a job.
If you want to learn slowly but surely, visit this website. (this guys are super hardcore and can answer any questions you might have)
**Invest some $$ in your personal font stash, its all worth it!**
We don't need to be professional typographers but to learn the basics might save your wonderful renderings and drawings from the ever fateful use of bank gothic!

Aug 7, 04 7:59 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

it's true you can make your own typeface with fontographer, but unless you have a lot of time and a real interest in designing it, I would suggest buying one. builiding your own will take some serious time and patience, even to make a crappy one.

Aug 7, 04 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
position
Frutiger

is compelling to me. I haven't found a typeface that beats FrutigerNextLT Regular Cond (or Light) for a clean, minimal but substantial look. It doesn't have the [slight] pretension of looking 'designed' as the other excellent fonts Cholla and Eurostile seem to have. IMO, it's perfectly proportioned.

Oct 10, 08 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Mr Hand

Oct 10, 08 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i like it!

Oct 10, 08 6:36 pm  · 
 · 

gill sans = yuck.

In the sans-serif category, I'm loving Meta, Gotham, and Interstate right now. Always loved Folio. Like DIN and Eurostile under certain circumstances, though I know that a lot of people hate them.

In another category, I'm pretty into the slab serifs, like Glypha, Egyptienne, or Serifa. An added bonus is that these pair well with Univers, Frutiger, or Avenir, as they're all by Frutiger and use many of the same bones. Actually, back on the sans-serif track, if you like geometric typefaces (like Frutiger or Futura), Avenir is a more sophisticated one in the same mold, has nicer optical balance.

Oct 10, 08 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

more like this:

[url=http://rapidshare.com/files/152808421/mrhand2.ttf.html]MrHand[url]

Oct 10, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
gill sans = yuck.

maybe, but Gill Sans Light on the other hand...

Oct 10, 08 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
binary
MrHand
Oct 10, 08 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Century Gothic, Arial Narrow, Futura...

Oct 10, 08 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

The ultimate set of fonts for architects:

Helvetica
Helvetica Neue
Avenir (beautiful font designed by Frutiger)
Gotham (expensive, but these days almost as ubiquitous as Helvetica. Most of the Obama campaign graphics use it)
DIN, in all it's varieties.

You should also have one great more traditional serif font on hand, for blocks of text and the like. I prefer Berling, but Arno is also nice, and Garamond is a classic.

You honestly don't need any more fonts than this. Use different weights to distinguish different pieces of text.

Architects especially misuse fonts in a big way. One or two are all you need. If you don't believe me, see the movie Helvetica .

Oct 10, 08 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
position

Rationalist, thanks for the tip on Avenir.

Oct 11, 08 1:13 am  · 
 · 

i didn't know fonts were so expensive.

any 'edgier' fonts out there that are outside of the helvetica realm?

not 'designy', just edgier...

Oct 11, 08 5:13 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i converted a collection of MAC fonts to PC, a girldfriend's dad's 30 year collection as a designer, way too sharp and regular for my tastes, but in the 6000 font collection all the ones used in the old days are there.

Oct 13, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 

dot- what do you consider 'edgy' in a typeface? Semi-serif (hot new thing)? Geometric sans serifs, with literal sharp edges? Imitations of handwriting or graffiti? It's all out there, but what 'edgy' is is beyond me...

Oct 13, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i love the MIRALLES (EMBT) font...it has been commented here and there in several ocasions in this forums, if someone still has it around there, would be cool if u send it over since i think i lost it in my last laptop that got stolen couple of months ago....

Oct 13, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Avant Guard ?

Oct 13, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Century Gothic?

Oct 13, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Bluesman7

I dig Century Gothic!!!!!

Also the trendy pic is Helvetica. There is a great documentary on the history of this font:

http://www.helveticafilm.com/

Oct 13, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

gill sans / ITC Johnston

Oct 13, 08 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I'm flat out -obsessed- with Century Gothic.

Oct 13, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

helvetica is a universal and safe pick, not necessarily a trendy pick.

i think the miralles font is 'edgy', meaning that it's not conventional in proportions, and it runs the risk of being over the top, but somehow works.

avant guard is an example of a 'designy' font...in my opinion.

Oct 13, 08 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

helvetica is like the little black dress of fonts, it goes well with everything. Century gothic is like the tuxedo with tails... perfect in the right situations.

Oct 13, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Trebuche?

Envison

personally i am leaning towards Chow Fun ;)

Oct 13, 08 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
Oct 13, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i like the webdings

Oct 13, 08 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

A couple of younger type foundries doing interesting work.

http://www.lineto.com/

http://www.processtypefoundry.com/

http://www.typography.com/home/index.php?affiliateID=

http://www.cape-arcona.com/

Oct 14, 08 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Helvetica Neue is simply wonderful.
Helvetica Neue Light makes me smile.

Oct 14, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

single line fonts?

Oct 14, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Arial? You make me sick!

Oct 14, 08 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

aka Sonoran Sans Serif

Arial is held in disregard by some professional typographers and type enthusiasts, for reasons relating to its similarity to other typefaces and the involvement of Microsoft in its development and distribution. It is reinforced by Arial's apparent status as a de facto Helvetica stand-in, but without paying royalties, or credit, to Helvetica. Arial's glyph widths are nearly identical to those of Helvetica, rather than Monotype Grotesque, on which Arial is otherwise based, and many people are unable to tell the difference between Helvetica, Arial and other similar fonts. However, there are a number of fonts which are direct copies of Helvetica that different type manufacturers have created, including Triumvirate, Helios, Megaron, and Newton

Oct 14, 08 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Akzidenz Grotesk is nice also.
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=429996

Oct 14, 08 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

humanist flavor

Oct 14, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: