Archinect
anchor

any consulting firms....i.e. design/interiors

binary

i'm thinking about shifting gears and marketing as a design/interiors/shop dwg consultant............ basically if a firm needs some extra help, they can contact my operation..... basically like a recruiting firm but moreless without the bullshit that the recruiters say/do.... been there/done that.............

i think it is a good idea.... saves time from firms trying to find employees/etc...... they can just call up my operation and toss me some work for my office......

any suggestions

Feb 4, 07 8:20 pm
some person

A shop drawing consultant? I've never heard of one before.

It seems to me that reviewing shop drawings takes considerable knowledge about the specific project. If you are the one who designed it, you will know what to watch for and can review for design intent. If you are brand new to the project/firm, it could be difficult to review the drawings effectively. I would be worried that one would just say "looks good to me" and stamp it approved.

This, of course, applies if you market yourself to architecture/design firms. If you market yourself to general contractors, you might have more luck - maybe. The GC is responsible for checking all dimensions and coordinating with all other trades, which could be a tedious process that could be farmed-out? Of course, this takes specific knowledge of the project, too.

or wait...

By "shop drawing consultant," do you mean one who reviews or one who produces shop drawings? If you were to consult on the production side of shop drawings... hrm.. producing shop drawings also takes specific knowledge of the unique products and systems.

Perhaps you could explain more about what your services would entail...

Feb 4, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
binary

for instance..... since my background is in architecture/construction/some exhibit detailing work.... i was thinking that if a firm needed another person on the team to help look over and design/develop the interiors/spaces and produce shop drawings then maybe i could take part in the action.....

how many times have you been overloaded on a project and wish that someone that knew about cd's was able to help out....sure, i might not be able to develop the entire building but maybe pieces of it...i.e. lobby area/lounge/etc........ items/spaces that are more human scale....

just an idea

i'm sure most firms try to keep all the design in their office but maybe it's easier to contract some of the work out to another design/develop firm to help out in tight situations

Feb 4, 07 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

Cryzko, its a good idea, but its gonna be hard to actually do that in reality. The reason being, often the firm who hires the consultant has a very specific role in mind for that person to fill--most often the "design" consultant is expected to be used to design material and finishes selections (also, they may expect you to have many contacts and knowledge of spec products in the contract industry--i.e. furniture/carpet/fabrics), as sifting through specs may be rather time consuming.

My colleague has a independent design consulting firm, and that is most of what he does(interior finishes development/furniture selection). Often, you wont necessarily get to design the physical/architectural elements if you are consultant at an architecture firm.

One way to get actual spatial design work, you could be defined as a workspace/retail planning consultant, but again, you would need some very strong and fairly specific knowledge in the field.--something firms may not have, depending on the firms' size.

Also, shop drawings:
It is often a good way to make some easy money to produce shop drawings for a millwork/specialty company, but i dont know if a company would be willing to allow u to make shop drawings as a consultant... they'd much rather have someone in their own company, perhaps due to legal issues.

A lot of the type of work you will get is also determined by how you market your services. Esp as a consultant, you want to make sure you convey what you do, and of your competence...

Feb 4, 07 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i guess it's time to make a product line then ...........

with all the long hours in the field and bitchin going on, you would think the life of an architect would be rewarding.......

sure, it's cool to see your ideas get built...but all in all....is the time really worth it?.....

for instance, i have friends that didnt even go to college and make more than friends i have that have been in the field for over 8 years with a b.a. arch.... shyt makes you wonder........

just a thought....

:

Feb 4, 07 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Your own product line could be fantastic.

On the topic of shop drawings... As I review shop drawings for the most mundane things (anchor bolts? formwork?), I think of the 'poor' people who compose those shop drawings. Where's the joy? Doing the same thing, over and over, for similar projects, day after day.

At least in architecture, there are multiple systems to coordinate and many more design and detailing opportunities.

To each his/her own, I suppose.

Feb 4, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I can tell you that there are an awful lot of really ugly light fixtures out there--we used to say that if only we had the money and time, we'd put together a line of decent, modern, clean-looking light fixtures for architects to spec on projects.

so there you go, perfect product line niche you could fill.

Feb 5, 07 1:57 am  · 
 · 
binary

lights are hard to do...

alot of testing...ul rating/etc......

i'm working on a furniture line and have a t-shirt line that will be in stores in april....... and a few other things

i have a few ideas out there...but need to find that "identity" that will make it happen

Feb 5, 07 1:59 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

cryzko,

what you've described seems like passive freelance work (you know, let the work seek my services...of course i could be way off)....nevertheless, just a random thought inspired by a crowded chinese restaurant lobby i've been to lately...you could hit up places (restaurants, bars, etc) around your area and find faults and talk to the manager and see if they're interested in remodeling interiors and such...

Feb 5, 07 2:20 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

find the fcked up design issues in buildings and then speak to the business owner and tell them that you can make the spaces work better than the current situation that is beneficial for the customer (therefore the business owner)...

Feb 5, 07 2:24 am  · 
 · 

I would say if you were registered (as in the case of other countries as a AT) I would say that you could contract out Contract Drawings. Companies hate to do all those generic areas...schedules etc

Feb 5, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I second myriam's suggestion for lights, especially modern outdoor lights.

It seems as though there is only one 'it' light that is modern (looks like a caterpillar at the top of a pole) We need your help, cryzko. If I see one more fake gas light....

Feb 5, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
binary

let me research the whole light process..... it's a good idea ..... i'll have look further into it

Feb 5, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

omg, DCA, seriously, the outdoor selection is the WORST. we just used to go with stonco's for everthing, for lack of a better option, and since they are so cheap the client almost always goes for 'em

Feb 5, 07 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

its not about the money. you should have already had the money before you got on this crazy train...

Feb 5, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: