Archinect
anchor

Murcutt Houses

4haus

Hi,

I will be in Australia for the next month (mainly travelling down the East coast) and am particularily interested in visiting some of Glen Murcutt's earluier houses. Like the one he built for the aboriginal family and the other early rural (now classic) houses.

Can anyone out there (australian architects?) give me some good information on how feasible getting to see each of these houses is, and directions on how to get to any of them. I realise it may be difficult to get to them and am willing to make a large effort to see the better ones.

If anyone can point me in the right direction i would be very appreciative.

Cheers

Feb 3, 07 6:18 am

4haus its a pity you are going when you are, because the annual GMMC (Glenn Murcutt Masterclass) includes that as part of their portfolio.

Nonetheless. Most are very out of the way mind you, but perhaps speaking to Lindsay Johnston at the University of Newcastle, he would best be able to direct you. Most of the houses are in that direction anyway so it might be worth the trek (his first professional building is there as well).

I'm not an australian architect but I have been privilaged to see a few.

Feb 3, 07 9:41 am  · 
 · 
daniel ryan

There are a few public buildings by Glenn Murcutt

You could arrange a visit to Riversdale: http://www.bundanon.com.au/visit.htm

Eat in Berowra Waters Inn
http://www.bestrestaurants.com.au/booking/select_rest.asp?id=51

Feb 3, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
daniel ryan

Looks like the restaurant is closed for renovation
http://www.berowrawatersinn.com

Feb 3, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Ana G.

you are so lucky..just happens that he is one of my fav arch... Enjoy

Feb 3, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

i hate to say it 4haus, but seeing private homes is out of the question. people actually live there. there are a few in sydney which can be seen from the street without entering the property. there is an early murcutt in woolarah. i forgot the name, but you can google it for sure.

as architechnophilia sais, lindsay johnston might be able to help. while in australia, you should also check out peter stutchbury works, sean godsell (he just designed a new shop in paddington, sydney), and durbach block.

good luck.

Feb 4, 07 12:25 am  · 
 · 

mhollenstein is right, his more public work is easier to access, but if you are looking at "tropical modern" houses stutch & godsell are worth the time I would include Rick Leplastrier in that list too- but his works are equally recluse as Murcutts.

Feb 4, 07 3:16 am  · 
 · 
Becker

agree. i saw le plastrier's own house (he was there guiding us) and a house he did in Balmain, both were beatiful. his own house is open to the elements, with outdoor kitchen and fireplace in the middle of a small field of grass. it was actually one of the most profound buildings i have ever seen. the house in balmain had a crucific form, with rooms opening onto a central ccross shaped living area. he is one of my favourite architects along with peter zumthor and renzo piano.

Feb 5, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 

I loved his house...upon the hill overlooking the river

it reminded me one rubix cube, all these pieces that could twist and turn, open and close. The bathroom blew me away.

Feb 5, 07 2:03 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I've been in Murcutt's own place in Sydney. Very tight. I would imagine that unless you are a really ace networker, you'll find it pretty hard to get into people's private houses.

Feb 5, 07 3:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: