Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch Applicants, Post your portfolios here!

robust84

You saw the headline. Do it. Let's get some healthy discussion going.

Jan 30, 07 8:16 pm
Living in Gin

Okay, I'll bite. Here it is. (PDF, 8.7MB)

Schools I'm applying to: Cornell, GSD, Yale, Columbia, Penn. No safety net!

Jan 30, 07 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra
Here is mine

I am applying to: MIT, Harvard, Rice, UT Austin, SciARC, UCLA, UC Berkeley

Jan 30, 07 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

very bold of you Gin to be the 1st. nice port! very clean and formal.

care to elaborate on the Burnham project? i'm in Chicago too

Jan 30, 07 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The Burnham Center project is simply a hypothetical project I did on my own a few years ago.... I had a skyscraper fetish for a while (okay, I still do), and over several years tried my hand at designing a 150-story tower for a vacant block in the Chicago Loop.

Thanks for the compliments, by the way.

Jan 30, 07 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

no prob Gin. personal project, cool.

jason, i really dig your posters. what was the Amon Tobin poster for? competition? Tobin is a genius

Jan 30, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Thanks. It was a promotional poster for four cities. I used to do a lot of posters for all sorts of musicians.

and I concur, Tobin is genius.

Jan 30, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

so where can i post a pdf for free?

Jan 30, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
AP
esnips.com
Jan 30, 07 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist6576

here it is

[url=http://www.http://homepage.mac.com/aaronzeligs/MArch-Portfolio/.com]link[portfolio]

I have a non-architectural background (in engineering and project management) but have worked part time at a firm, taken some classes and entered some competitions to get experience.

I am applying to Berkeley, UCLA, UT Austin, UCincy, OSU, Columbia and Harvard. My grades from undergrad are shit, decent GRE's....

This is the first time I have posted this....what do you all think?

Jan 30, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist6576
http://www.http://homepage.mac.com/aaronzeligs/MArch-Portfolio/.com

I cant figure out how to link the url...

Jan 30, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra
mctwist6576

my bad...one more try...sorry

http://homepage.mac.com/aaronzeligs/MArch-Portfolio/.com

Jan 30, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

there you go. looks nice man!

Jan 30, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist6576

thanks jason

Jan 30, 07 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

mctiwst, i feel like i have seen your portfolio before. i think harold linton was giving a lecture at our school and i could swear he showed exceprts of YOUR portfolio. some of the projects and photography look familiar. you the surfer who caught the great in-the-moment photo!

Jan 30, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist6576

what...thats wierd cause I randomly met him at an east coast all about architecture school thing and he looked at it and said he wanted to use it. I didnt think he was serious but I sent him the file anyway.

its changed a lot since then, but cool, what else did he say?

Jan 30, 07 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

he obviously showed it because he thought it was good! he complimented the consistent organizational grid, balance of images and text, use of white space. it was the opening file and everyone in the auditorium was like, crap, it's really good.

i don't think i'm qualified to comment on architectural content but i think your porfolio is great! i can actually follow the development and diagrams becuase it's not inundated with text and images. linton thought that the use of lines was superfluous but i think they tie the pages together and anchor the sparse areas well. you have a good graphic sense and i like how you balance images of different sizes.

my favorite is the photo of the guy smoking. i remember liking it when i saw it the first time around.

i was surprised to see that you didn't have an architectural background. i think the fact that you have aggressively and proactively pursued competitions and projects independently is a great asset to your application. good luck and def. let us know how it goes!

Jan 30, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

yeah mctwist, your portfolio looks great! i was also surprised that you don't have an architecture background and i agree with froccli that this will probably be an asset for you. good luck!

Jan 30, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist6576

Froccli....Good deal, thanks for the comments. Ya I dig that picture too, its one of those one in a million shots. Where do you go to school?

Jasoncross...yours is pretty sick. The projects all flow really well and the layout is the strongest part, nice job.

Jan 30, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

jason, your diagramming is amazing and i love your posters! i saw the beehive analysis and i thought you might enjoy this essay on animal architecture. it's really fascinating!
http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/23/cheng.php

good luck! i hope you go to mit. the media lab is a great resource and one of my favorite architects meejin yoon teaches there: http://www.mystudio.us/

Jan 30, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

mctwist, i am also an m.arch07 applicant with no architectural background.

Jan 30, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Hope this works....

link

If you view it in Adobe Reader make sure that the layout view is set to single page. The pages are square like the first page but you will be viewing it as a spread.

Jan 30, 07 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Oh and I am applying to Harvard, Yale, UCLA, UT Austin, Rice and Syracuse

Jan 30, 07 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

froccli - thanks for the links! I would love to end up at MIT

cpnorris - great work man, the portfolio is clean - very nice. love the format.

Jan 30, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
fuzzy_atelier

Mctwist - Love your wide collection of art work, from architecture to furniture design.

Cpnorris - Very cool format; the words and diagrammes flow smoothly.

Jason - Very... 'architectural' :). What is (are) the 3D programme(s) that you are using?

Good luck for all the applications!

Jan 31, 07 6:11 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Beautiful portfolios. I'll post mine shortly.

You guys are applying to many of the same schools I am. Just wondering who is MArch I and who is MArch II or advanced standing. I'm MArch I without advanced standing and have applied to Harvard, MIT, Yale, UT, Rice and UVa.

Thanks.

Jan 31, 07 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'll most likely be M.Arch. I without advanced standing. I have an architectural background, but I'm not coming from an official "pre-architecture" undergrad program.

I agree about the other portfolios... They all kick ass so far. I'm suddenly feeling very self-conscious about mine.

Jan 31, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Yeah, me too. Sh*t, I'm an engineer with no architectural background.

Regardless, I'll post mine tonight. Can't do it now. I'm at work and don't have the file.

Jan 31, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Hey thanks for the kind words everyone! All the portfolios posted so far look really good! I'm excited to see everyone elses work.

I am applying for advanced standing at Harvard, Rice and Syracuse cause they are the only schools I am applying to that offer it. Not sure if I'll get it but I figured I'd try. I have a pre-professional B.A. in architecture and it seems that not a lot of schools recognize that, which I thought was wierd.

Jan 31, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

cp,

If you have a pre-professional degree in architecture, doens't that make you an MArch II candidate?

Jan 31, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Nevermind. Dumb question. Apparently MArch II is only for those with a professional degree.

I did, however, just look on the Yale site and it says they also offer advanced standing. It seems like if anyone should be considered advanced, you should.

Regardless, good luck.

Jan 31, 07 11:08 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Thanks baboomba, I appreciate that. Well unlike GSD, Syracuse and Rice, Yale doesn't have an actual advanced standing M.Arch 1 degree to apply for. They deal with it after the fact or something I guess. There are actually a lot of first year classes that I would want to take regardless. I guess we'll see what happens.

Jan 31, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha 1060 West Addison St!

Jan 31, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I applied for advanced standing at Rice and Harvard...and each school lists their programs differently...Rice March II is advanced standing...other M Arch II are post professional...each school is different...fun.

I agree, all the portfolios are nice, I hope everyone gets a few options.

Froccli - thanks for the kind words - I use 3dMax, May, Rhino, Revit, and Sketch Up with a good bit of photoshop touch up work.

Jan 31, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I meant Fuzzy on the last comment.

My brain is cold from the morning snowboarding...I love powder days.

Jan 31, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist6576

Jason...the projects in boulder look great. I grew up there, and over xmas realized that the architecture scene has gotten much better in the last five years.

How has it been to work in the boulder/denver area?

Froccli....what kind of engineering have you been into? I got a degree in mech engr, but havent done any real engineering for the past 4 years.

Jan 31, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

sorry but was that boulder/denver question supposed to be directed towards me rather than jason?

Jan 31, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist6576

ya...i was reading about powder and got you two mixed up

Jan 31, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

cpnorris, i like the simplicity. perhaps i should post my rough draft here.

Jan 31, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Thanks bucku! You should post yours too.

Mctwist - Working in Boulder and living in Denver has been pretty good, minus the commute. There has been quite a building boom in the last few years so its been fun to see it change. Not all the change is for the better, but it never is. I'm sure you noticed the new 29th Street Mall, which in my opinion was a huge missed opportunity. Its almost offensive. I don't know when architecture became wedding cake decoration but thats what it seems like they did there. A checker board wall here, a purple "sun shade" there, through in a slanted awning or two and a few striped columns and call it a day. Oh well. I am fortunate to work at a great local firm with a drive for good design. We do mostly high-end modern residential and are getting into more mixed-use projects. As far as the architecture scene, I agree it has become much better. There are actually quite a few younger design firms popping up in Boulder and Denver that are producing some really nice work.

Jan 31, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

For a limited time only:

Baboomba's Portfolio

Should be viewed in "facing pages" mode. First page is a dummy and the first spread is the front and back cover. It's perfect bound in real life.

Try not to laugh. I don't have a design/architecture background. Would like some honest opinions, favorable or otherwise.

Thanks.

Jan 31, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I am just getting the esnips.com frontpage from the link.

Jan 31, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

that link goes right to the esnips.com homepage. make sure you put the portfolio in a public folder that you can share with anyone.

Jan 31, 07 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

O.k. Try this.

Baboomba's Portfolio

Jan 31, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
chingale

baboomba,

you posted while I was debating pressing "submit". Thanks for posting! There are archinectors that are far more qualified to give feedback than me but I really appreciated your restraint, lack of clutter, and good focus on sharing with your viewer your background.

Are you not the squash poster? I think I like knowing this the best...

Cheers and I wish you the best of luck!!!

Jan 31, 07 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
chingale

oops, chingale's portfolio: please view landscape / side by side, two pages together...

cpnorris, jasoncross and others, your portfolios were so terrific, thanks much for posting

Jan 31, 07 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Yes, I am the squash poster.

Your foot rocks.

Jan 31, 07 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Not being sarcastic. I really like your portfolio. Good variety and the foot rocks.

Jan 31, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Nice work both of you. I think both portfolios are carefully crafted and show a nice diversity of work.

Jan 31, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

I love to see work, thanks for sharing.

LIG, it looks a lot better than one you posted a few months ago, really like the large images as backgrounds, I like that the pages all speak at different volumes. feels good.

Jasoncross, big fan of your graphics and I like your biomimicry work, your prof's were top notch, huh? ;)

Norris I love your first project, wow!

Aaron Z, great photos and renderings.

Chingale, i like the variety of work your showing.

best of luck to everyone!!

Jan 31, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: