Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch Applicants, Post your portfolios here!

chupacabra

I printed mine at home on my handy canon i950 which does print full bleed.

I made sure to credit all others involved with any of the work in my portfolio

Feb 21, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

those linoleum block prints are very nice NoSleep.

Feb 21, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

Thanks. The prof. considered the work "too cerebral"; everything was based on a 2/3 ratio.

Feb 21, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

Any crit?

Feb 21, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

NoSleep -

Isn't A4 etc dimensioned by the golden ratio?

Feb 21, 07 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86
mctwist-

Thank you :) I applied to a bunch of schools because I was afraid I wasn't good enough to get into most of them, so I wanted to increase my chances of getting in somewhere. Here they are, in order of preference:

University of Cincinnati
University of Texas Austin
University of Illinois Chicago
Georgia Tech
University of Houston (Accepted 2/21/07)
New Jersey Institute of Technology
University of Nevada Las Vegas
University of Colorado Denver
Washington University St. Louis
University of Texas San Antonio
University of Washington Seattle

Why can't I preview my post?

Feb 21, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

May be. I still had margins in A4.

Feb 21, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

Dream:

What's your #1?

Feb 21, 07 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

I went to a little copy shop in Austin to get my portfolio done. To get the full-bleed effect, I had them print on regular-sized 8 1/2" x 11" and cut it down to something like 8 1/4" x 10 3/4". I saved a ton of money that way and nobody can tell it's smaller than standard paper size.

Feb 21, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

full bleed is doable.

most HP printers do it now, although they are very inaccurate about it. they enlarge what you're printing by about 5%, so part of what you wanted to print will be cut off, and it will be a little different every time.

kinko's does full bleed but they just print it on a bigger sheet of paper and cut it down

lulu does full bleed but they have serious issues with their trimming, i.e. there will usually be a white stripe at top and / or bottom, and then you'll complain and they'll refund your money

Feb 22, 07 12:24 am  · 
 · 
vesalius

EPSON R2400 can do incredible full bleed prints...

Feb 22, 07 1:50 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've been very happy with the quality of the full-bleed prints on my Epson R260.

Feb 22, 07 7:58 am  · 
 · 
NoSleep

Outside Dream:

Since you're in the same boat I am in on non-arch undergrad, have you finished the prereq's for UT admissions (Phys I & II and Calc)?

Feb 22, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

I have a BS degree, which is a little less liberal-artsy. I've taken engineering physics I & II and calculus I and II and advanced statistics and a variety of other horrible classes where you're doing a page of math calculations with no idea what you're doing, why you're doing it, and what it means in the real world.

On the other hand, I've never taken any sort of drawing/design/studio class...Isn't that a prereq for some schools?

Feb 22, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
NoSleep

Most of the time "no" because they want you to learn their way of design/drawing.

It looks like you're in the clear on prereq. By the way, great drawings, especially w/o any training.

Feb 22, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i printed my portfolio with some bleeds on the epson r1800 (the little brother of the r2400) and was really happy with it.

i did have to do a bunch of finagling to get things to align correctly, but once i got it set up i just saved it as a preset in my print dialogue and was good to go.

the pdf version i posted doesn't show the full bleeds as printed unfortunately.

Feb 22, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

Hey Nosleep... i am getting a broken link on your portfolio

I was able to print mine with full bleed at a printer, but would have done it my self if i could have. The printer cut my pages all wrong and they had to redo them, but it turned out good in the end. I paid 20$ a book, 36 pages bound.

Feb 22, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep
M.Arch II portfolio

C'mon other M.Arch II'ers, the game is basically over. Spill yer GUTS!!

Mar 30, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

wow neat,
thats a really impressive set of works...
lots of your projects have similar concepts with some of my projects but I think your presentation is way better.
my favorite project is the viaduct.

where are you going for fall 2007?

Mar 30, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

thanks sirge, It looks like I'm going to be deciding between Yale and Berkeley....

Mar 30, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Cal Ripken, Jr
vivek sarma portfolio
Mar 30, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Cal Ripken, Jr
vivek sarma portfolio

applied:

University of Houston
University of Texas at Austin
University of Oregon
Glasgow School of Art
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne
Delft University of Technology

Mar 30, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Cdee

these are all really helpful! i've been coming up with ideas to start with on the portfolio for 2008 admissions, and it is nice to see other people's creative modes...

that said, are there any more non-arch portfolios....some of the ones on here arent loading :(

Apr 26, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles

I seem to remember a sandcastle...

Apr 26, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Cdee

Question to anyone who can answer it...

one of my projects for my portfolio (non arch, woot woot) involves adapting a paper i wrote on the PRADA store in NYC and doing it visually, using some of the original paper (hope you are following me here). when i wrote the paper, i loved the idea i had about the store, and hated that i even if it was a great paper, it would have been much more efficient to cut straight to the chase and show it, not describe it.

the question: it ok for me to use pictures obtained online, or from books, though it might be hard to get good copies to work with? i am planning on using photos from the store and then chopping, drawing, and otherwise re-imagining them to demonstrate the ideas from my paper. i would think it would be fine as long as i fully cite the original image.

am i wrong?

Apr 26, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Cdee

very good point....hmmm

is this a common problem?

Apr 26, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

For an academic project, it should be fine to appropriate some images from online and books as long as credit is given. It would be preferable if they were from someone whom you could contact to give you permission. To this end, check out the Stock Exchange to see if anyone there has posted stuff you could use. Stock Exchange is a free stock photo site, so it has high resolution images, and you automatically have permission to use them, just give credit where credit is due.

Apr 26, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Cdee

i just signed up for that, but alas, no PRADA....im gonna look into contacting people who have photos listed...if not, i'll just cite them appropriately...or take my own.

Apr 26, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
scope

thank you all for sharing your work....

Sep 27, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
blaise

Like many others, here's my portfolio. I am a recent graduate from a liberal arts college where i majored in Art History. I have little to now real architectural experience, thus I'd be going into the 4+ year M.Arch program. I'm applying to Columbia, Parsons, CCA, CUDenver, and UNM. Compared to the four other portfolios I've discovered linked on this forum, mine appears very different in style and content. Not sure if its a good or bad thing. Please let me know your thoughts, the more critcal the constructive of a process. Thank you all for your time and feedback.

(3.5 meg to keep detail - might take a sec or two to load)
http://abtreeson.googlepages.com/COMPENDIUM.pdf

Ohhh, on a final note, my GREs are low 1200s, anyone know where this falls with regard to my choose schools?

Nov 17, 07 3:36 am  · 
 · 
n_

You are fine with your GRE score. I wouldn't worry about retaking it.

Nov 17, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Blaise
Thanks for sharing it, and reviving an old thread.

I think you;ll fare well. Much of your work lends it self well to Architecture. You have this going for you, but there is alerg quota for non-arch majors, usually. I guess you know they will not really read it, so you maybe can afford to lose some of that text. Perhaps create a text box or creative way to seperate it from the photos and work. Perhaps you have very full pages as well. Using the 'rule of Thirds' you can open the pages up and allow for a bit more space. When two images come together there is a line of differing photos or scans....maybe that wants to be treated some how, so it doesn't look so "collage" - ish. It could afford to be shorter as well. I always use the sandwich theory....

1Good,
2Fair,
3Better,
4Best

Nov 17, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 
rexxer

If there are other threads like this one with working links, let me know. Thanks.

Mar 30, 09 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: