Archinect
anchor

SF Design Comp Starts Today (officially...)

mightylittle™

Some of the big names are in SF today eyeing the Transbay Terminal job. I think it's a big deal for the SF skyline which is in the midst of rapid change and development.

Article can be seen here.

Should be pretty interesting.

Jan 30, 07 2:32 pm
f-tron

the designs are being unveiled tonight...

http://www.transbaycenter.org/TransBay/content.aspx?id=323

Aug 6, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Foster vs. Rogers!

Aug 6, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Foster dropped out a while ago...so did Calatrava!
-apparently Calatrava couldnt be in the same room with all the NO_NAME architecture firms(Foster, Richard Rogers, Peili, SOM) LOL wow!

-Im watching the telecast on channel 26 in San Francisco.

-The Developer working w/ SOM was just asked "how do you plan to keep the project w/in the budget?"
-response..."we hired the architects to keep us in the budget"...laughs from the peanut gallery...-developer - "No seriously we did" -
-Oh man that shit is too funny - since when has an architecture firm been known for staying w/in the budgget?

Aug 6, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

RICHARD ROGERS

SOM

PELLI CLARK

Aug 6, 07 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

AGH

Aug 6, 07 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

just have a looksie yourself!
Aug 6, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

IMHO - Based on the presentations I think Richard Rogers Partners will take the competition in Sept. - They just totally had their shit together!

Aug 6, 07 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

well actually ceaser pelli has some pretty sweet ass sections...nice section baby!

Aug 6, 07 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

ok - i have to stop talking to myself

Aug 6, 07 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

The Pelli tower is sleek -- but the Rogers is a winner, for me. The dark tower shown in the lower left of the Rogers dusk rendering is being built now -- wish it was as inoffensive as it appears here ! We need the Big Blue-and-Red to put it in its place. . .

SDR

Aug 6, 07 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
halt

It's hard to tell from those renderings I'm not wild about any of them. The Rogers tower looks like the huge antenna on nearby Twin Peaks. It also looks too much like a derivative of his own work (does that make sense?). The Pelli and SOM projects look too prissy. I lived in San Fransisco for many years and the city has a certain fishy-smelling industrial and artistic elegance that doesn't seem to be captured here.

I think we should sweep the old guys aside and let younger architects have a chance.

Aug 11, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

stones - i brought this one back, there's more pix and what-not...

i'm actually a bit disappointed that the pelli tower won. i'm sure that any of the top three would have been a good choice, but i was definitely drawn to the rogers towers.

the pelli one looks too much like your average, run of the mill glass d***o. no offense to anyone on this board who may have worked on it, i'm sure that the built version will be quite beautiful, but i appreciated the rugged look and exposed structure on the rogers version...

i agree with HALT above in that SF has a certain "fishy-smelling industrial and artistic elegance that doesn't seem to be captured here" and it is decidedly not captured on the pelli tower, IMHO.

i hope the transbay board chose it based more on its ability to capture the program and service the city and general bay area region...and less on it looking sparkly.

Sep 25, 07 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES
and the winner is!

I agree - I liked exposed structure of the Rogers design, as well as the amazing presentation...although I was very impressed w/ the pelli drawings...they were straight to the point and very visual - cut perspective sections showing all transportations coming together...sweet!

Hopefully the park on top of the terminal doesn't turn into another place for the panhandlers to congregate...but this is San Francisco, so thats inevitable.

-your comment about the "fishy-smelling industrial" I agree on but I don't think that what you see right now is what we will get. There should be a long drawn out design review of the entire terminal site for years to come.

Hopefully it doesn't turn out like the double falic!

Sep 25, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

FWIW - i think that's a late john lennon in the middle SOM shot above. the dude sitting on bench on the left, with the beard.

john lennon, right?

Sep 25, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

yes and Lennon is staring at tumbles...the one in all white!

Sep 25, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

OMG! you're totally right. good eyes man. where's tumbles and mdler, they need to confirm this...

Sep 25, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I want to be one of the blurry people in the SOM design!

Sep 25, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i think you're plenty blurry already stones...

Sep 25, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

No, that was Saturday nite that I was blurry...as a matter of fact I remember everyone being a little blurry!!!

Sep 25, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

guilty as charged.

Sep 25, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: