Archinect
anchor

Overtime as an hourly employee

kangnar

I just got a job at a mid sized firm. I have been told that I can log for "manager aproved" overtime hours. Since I began two weeks ago, I was requested to work 10 hours overtime on weekend (i actually worked 15, but only logged 10).

My question is if my manager schedules a meeting at 530 and goes till 8, is it acceptable log the hour of overtime if it wasn't pre approved by the manager, but scheduled with the enevitable possibility to stay late?

Jun 14, 12 11:08 am
quizzical

You should ask your manager this question directly. It's doubtful he (she) bites.

Jun 14, 12 11:10 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Ugh. This thread points out all sorts of communication problems between firm leadership and junior staff.

First, you should be billing every hour that you are working on a billable job (and really every hour period to indicate to the firm your non-billable overhead time). You may think you are doing your firm a favor by not billing hours when in fact you are doing the opposite. Firms bill clients based on the hours you report on your timesheet. If you are not billing your hours, the firm cannot bill the client.

Second, you need to keep your project managers abreast of how much time you are actually working on projects. If project demands are making you exceed 40 hours, your project manager needs to know this, not only from an overtime perspective, but also to help him or her accurately project your hours to assess the overall project budget.

I would be less concerned about one meeting sending you over 40 hours (this to me sounds petty) and more concerned with the overall management of your time and how you clearly communicate project demands with your project managers.

Jun 14, 12 11:26 am  · 
 · 

Log all of your hours.  It's management's responsibility to decide whether they want to bill the hours or not.  If you make the decision to underreport your hours then you are, in essence, making a managerial decision.  This will bite you in the ass hard.

Yo!

Jun 14, 12 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Log all of your hours.

Keep duplicates of your timesheets. Even if they don't pay you the hours, you need to have the records on hand.

For two reasons:

1) To demonstrate to your employers at a later date that it makes more sense to hire you on a salaried employee.

2) To sue the shit out of them for backpay.

Unless you're an administrative assistant or an intern, your employer should be paying you a minimum salary of $455 a week (or at least $27.63 an hour for computer professionals to exempt you from overtime D.O.L Fact Sheet #17E) — to exempt you from overtime.

There's a breakpoint at around $22 an hour where it just makes me sense in the long run to increase your hourly wage to $27.63— overtime is messy, slows down payroll, adds unnecessary confusion and sets up a firm for a huge liability.

Also, any firm who has employees working more than 10 hours a week, regularly, needs to hire redundant employees because penny-pinching $200 a week is not only killing your employees but making them less productive.

Twenty hours of over-time is another persons full-time pay— e.g. 20 hours at $22.50 an hour of overtime is $675 a week or $16.87 an hour at 40 hours... quite a handsome salary for an entry-level hire or an intern!

Jun 14, 12 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I get 20/hr 1099 - do everything - BIM production and rendering - also work part time at another office - same pay situation - in San Francisco + there is competitive rent situation here - with high paid programmer dirving up rents - I can't compete with someone from Zynga, TaskRabbit, Google

Jun 14, 12 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

If project demands are making you exceed 40 hours, your project manager needs to know this, not only from an overtime perspective, but also to help him or her accurately project your hours to assess the overall project budget.

in my experience some project managers might accuse you of "being inefficient" if you consistently log more than 40 billable hours a week.  In this case you will either have to demonstrate that you do in fact need this time, or work with them to figure out how to better manage your time.  The absolute last thing you want is for someone to start micromanaging you.

Jun 14, 12 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

dude, I suspect that this is less of a big deal than you're anticipating. Every place I've worked at that had this clause, that came from the owner, while the project managers were like, "oh, yeah, whatever. Don't worry about a couple extra hours."

Just really casually put it to the PM like, "hey, I just thought I should mention because I'm supposed to get overtime approval, but these late meetings are putting me to overtime territory. Should we be doing anything about that or is it ok?" Chances are he'll be like, "oh, yeah, I always forget about that approval thing. It's fine."

Jun 14, 12 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

It would be best to ask your HR or manager... Every firm functions differently.  However, if it was me, I would bill them for every hour I had to stay back in work.  

Although the extra money from overtime hours is nice, I'd prefer working for a firm that paid employees on a salary basis and no compensation for over-time hours aside from bonuses at the end of the year depending on one's performance.  Often time, employees just drag on their work just to bill in a few hours of over-time, making them less productive to the point they sacrifice their own personal lives or come in to work during weekends.

Jun 14, 12 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

I love you Xenakis.

Im awaiting the day when a you and a client hit it off and you make your way around the middle men.

Just so you know.

xo - 

pied  piper

Jun 14, 12 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Pied Piper

in fact I am looking at both competitions and projects that deal with urban issues - such as Mid Market area of San Francisco - Richard Meir  is working with some developers to build a 36 story upscale condo tower to house all the well paid Twitter employees just up the street - this and SOM's 8 Washington are projects designed to finish off what little is left of the middle class in SF. 

What about us - those of us who make less than $75k? I am looking at creating a project to address those issues, and present it as an alternative to the big 1% developer driven stuff - if Romney wins and looks like he will - then we can just sit here

Jun 14, 12 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

Oh snap - my love was misplaced!  Romney is a total fool and a faux  and a joke! Hearing him speak, I mean lie, I mean speak, burns my ears and brings tears to my eyes.

I still love the inspirational story that you've graciously shared over many threads, though we might disagree about other things, if not many things.

Thank you,

Cacaphonous Approval Bot, etc. etc.

Jun 14, 12 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

i actually worked 15, but only logged 10

Why would you do this?  

Jun 15, 12 12:46 am  · 
 · 
garethcooper9

Always log your hours, it is your time and effort and you should get paid for it.

Jun 29, 12 11:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: