Archinect
anchor

Career Question

chad firmstone

Dear Community,

I have currently met the proverbial "folk in the road." To choose one direction or other.  I graduated from a mediocre architectural program with a 5 year Bachelor of Architecture (professional, accrediated) degree and now have a dead end architectural gig (roughly for 2 years) in Manhattan just to satisfy the requirements for licensure.  I know I have to continue my education, since, the power of a bachelor degree has faded.

In addition, I know my calling and aspiration in life is to be a design/ principal architect. However, Im currently torn between continuing my education in architecture (post-professional master degree) or get a master's in civil engineering.  Both degrees are approximately the same amount of time to invest (roughly 1 year full time- 3 semesters).  Would more design help me? Is a master degree of architecture worth the time and money? I want to be a licensed architect, would a civil engineering degree make me more marketable?  Please help!!!!!

Jun 12, 12 11:27 am
won and done williams

Why do you need a Masters? Seems like a distraction to me. Finish your IDP, take exams, get license. Hell of a lot easier and cheaper than going back to school for a degree that does little, if anything, for your career.

Jun 12, 12 11:42 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

do you want to do civil engineering?

Jun 12, 12 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Why do you think you need to get a Master's?  Because you don't think you learned enough in school?  

Jun 13, 12 1:52 am  · 
 · 

"folk in the road."

folk in the

folk in

folk

folk

I am frankly surprised.

Jun 13, 12 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"I am frankly surprised."

You mean flankly supplies.

Also, how does one get a Masters in Civil Engineering in one year? BArch doesn't seem like it would prepare you for engineering courses at all.

Jun 13, 12 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

the "fork" in the road you're facing probably has more to do with an internal struggle regarding how hard to you want to work... how ambitious are you really... and what is your real talent level...  thats hard stuff to pin down, i would guess we struggle with it forever.

beyond all that stuff... heres my take...

If you WANT to get a masters, go get it.  If you DONT want a masters, dont go get it.  You dont need a masters to do what you profess to wanting in your post.  A masters degree (unless its from some place special like GSD, which is like a fricken golden ticket in this damned profession...) isn't likely to help you become a project lead designer.  Only thing thats going to help you do that is to practice doing it... so get  a better job...  

Jun 13, 12 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

You say you graduated from "a mediocre architectural program"  -- that does not necessarily equate to you being a "mediocre architect". Similarly, a civil engineering degree does not seem to be a necessary - or even highly useful - credential to become "a design/ principal architect"

At the end of the day, you have to make your own assessment about your own abilities and whether additional education would help you achieve what you want out of your career. If you're on the path to licensure, I don't think interrupting that progress to pursue more education would be in your best interests. Once you're licensed, you will have more career flexibility - and probably more opportunity. At that point, you could even start your own firm.

Jun 13, 12 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: