Archinect
anchor

rhino requirements

ross

I'm looking for some feedbaack on what time of requirements are necessary to run rhino effectively on a laptop.

The laptop I have now is pentium 4, single procoessor, 512 MB ram. 60 gig hard drive, low end shared graphics card. The rhino website says 256 mb is enough ram, but I don't know if what I have is good enough to get what I'll need out of the program in a reasonable amount of time.

I might end up in a studio that works primarily with maya and rhino, doing complex modeling, scripting, and taking those models to laster cutting and CNC routing. Most of the 3D work I've done up to this point has been in sketch-up, so I'm not all that familiar with the programs.

any help would be appreciated.

Jan 19, 07 1:20 pm
JMBarquero/squirrelly

if you are doing (will be working on) complex modeling + lighting etc, I would say 512 is not going to be sufficient, in addition the shared low end graphics card is potentially an issue as it may cause delays and or crashes (esp. if you are running bootlegg rhino) on your laptop.

just my $.02 cents

Jan 19, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Rhino can run on low specs, but it's definately more stabble on a better machine. The difference between my Athlon 3200+ with 768 MB and a 32MB Radeon and my Dual Opteron with 2GB and a Quadro is night and day. There is no clipping on the desktop, it almost never crashes, sometimes lines disappear on the laptop. So, it may "work" but it may suck ass.

Jan 19, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

Load up the demo and see how it runs on your machine (it's a complete version but only allows 25 saves)

Jan 19, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
appleate

I run it on my laptop, similar specs. Its not fast by any means, but the small screen is really the bigger hindrance.

Jan 19, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: