Archinect
anchor

advice

Greetings Everyone,

I’ve enjoyed this site and message board for awhile and I’m hoping to get some honest advice. I’m a 34 year old father of two who has made my living as a jazz guitarist for the past decade, but for many reasons I’m seriously thinking about a serious career change into architecture or civil engineering. I’ve always had an interest in sustainable and sane building and design practices. I am more convinced as time goes on of the neccesity of sustainable and responsible building and urban planning. I’ve become fascinated with the work and ideas of people like Ed Marzia and his 2030 challenge, and Owen Rose (here in Montreal) who are designing and building for a future without our current dependance on oil.

In Montreal, (where I hope to stay) there are several options for degree programs, both McGill and Concordia offer Engineering and Architectural degrees with a chance to focus on sustainability and/or environmental concerns, McGill also offers a Masters in Urban Planning. Alternatively, there is the Quebec CEGEP system which allows one to work as an “Architectural or Engineering Technician” after a three year program (perhaps akin to vocational school in the States).

Would anyone have any thoughts on any of these, or other, options? While I am open to spending the next several years in University, I’m also wondering if there is perhaps a third way, for example, would getting a CAD certificate, LEED training and basic computer skills allow me to work in the industry (as an environmental inspector, perhaps?) without a relevant degree (I do have a degree in Music, for what it’s worth).

I greatly appreciate any responses and apologize for such a lengthy inquiry.

Thanks!

Jan 18, 07 8:50 pm
Nevermore

Newbie, Apart from everything else, Do take into account the time factor.( w.r.t your age )

Apart from the years ( between 1-5) you will spend in arch education if you do wish to change, there's also the task of settling yourself into the profession.( either employed or independently) and that too takes a few years at the minimum.
Never forget the clock.

All the Best.

Jan 19, 07 2:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think you would be cheating your kids. i would much rather be a jazz guitarist than doing what i am doing.

Jan 19, 07 7:14 am  · 
 · 
207moak

Go for it. Your age is not a factor. (Though you may have to be prepared to take direction from someone years your junior once in an office.) There was a man in his 50's in my BARCH program.

Jan 19, 07 8:57 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

attitude is everything. follow your passion and maybe your calluses will shift from your fingers to the thumb (from clicking on a mouse).

If you have a BA or other undergrad degree, then chase after an M.Arch... I don't know canadian practice laws, but having a professional degree opens many doors and shortens the internship process.

also register for the 2010 imperative teach-in to get a crash course on sustainable design...

Jan 19, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

The first thing you should do is figure out which direction you'd want to go in the field. You only need a professional arch degree if you plan on being a licensed architect. If you want to do other things within the field, there are other architecture and arch-related degrees that don't require such a huge time commitment. Like you said, a CAD or LEED certification would be enough to do certain things. It's just a matter of deciding what exactly you want to do.

Good luck, and definately follow your dream!

Jan 19, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Oh, and one more thing...
If you decide to go for the professional degree, don't be intimidated by the time commitment, ect. As long as your family is supportive of what you're doing... that's all you need. When I was doing my undergrad, I knew a girl who had a baby and was supporting herself and her child working in a fast food restaurant while finishing school. I have also known other students who had families to raise and support and they ended up doing just fine.

Jan 19, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

fyi with the exception of one guy, every person that i started graduate school with who was either married or living with an s.o. was not married or living with that s.o. after the second year of grad school. oh and the guy who stayed married had a trust fund and was rich.

Jan 19, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
trish

Ohhhh that's bad Vado retro, why do you think that happened, time commitment?

Jan 19, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks a lot for all of your thoughtful posts and the heads up on the 2010 imperative teach in.

Does anyone have any experience with the kind of independent study program that OldFogey mentioned?

Thanks again.

Jan 19, 07 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: