Archinect
anchor

a job for a 0-1 experienced person

ok so i know theres a job section, but would like to have some input. im from columbia university, about to graduate this may with my masters. i love ny, cant lie, but was wondering where i would get most experience, better pay and benefits. im interested in oma, but heard its a sweatshop. anybody work there before? i dont mind that but would like other advice. gensler,hok,som? seems that these would only get you to do one thing like rendering, or bathroom CDs... thanks in advance.

Jan 18, 07 4:36 pm
ochona

if it's your first job, you should maybe try out one of the more renowned big firms. som and kpf come to mind in ny, there are tons of other ones.

no offense, but you'll be a bit of a liability (as we all were and still are, if you're at my experience level) and a large firm can absorb that better than a small one.

also, these larger firms often will allow you to move around a bit within the departments or studios.

or oma...can't hurt, although i have heard the same thing about it being a sweatshop. at least you can put it on your resume.

Jan 18, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

thats very good, thank you ochona, i've worked in a smaller firm in texas, pay wasnt great but what are the average salary they have in nyc? with the little experience i have? not much im asking but enough to live. i understand about the liability though. i heard smaller firms allow you to get in touch with more things. but not large firms? i heard corgan does it from start to end. you get a piece of all the action. but i also heard gensler only having you do one thing forever.

Jan 18, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

oh. well, i'd know more about texas than NYC, but in general...you will typically do a wider range of tasks in a small office, but you have the opportunity to work on a wider range of projects in a large office.

large ones, as i mentioned, often are a great place to start out, as there is a little bit of slack that they can absorb for learning curve.

Jan 18, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

there are several great things about going for an exciting "design" or "starchitect" firm directly out of school
a) you're already used to living on nothing
b) you're still in the studio vibe of staying up till the wee hours of the morning
c) they will allow you to work on interesting projects of a wide range of scales

the problems with going too corporate right after school are that it becomes really hard to consider the pay cut after you've gotten used to a particular standard of living, you run the risk of getting to experience the most boring aspects of the profession and... going back to a harsh work schedule is much harder after a cushy stint...not to say that som isn't known for being pretty abusive as well in terms of hours...

Jan 18, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

do you know how to run blueprints?

Jan 18, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
"there are several great things about going for an exciting "design" or "starchitect" firm directly out of school
a) you're already used to living on nothing..."

you will get use to living on even more nothing when your school loan repayment begins...

Jan 18, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
sloring

especially living in nyc

Jan 18, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the great thing about working for a small firm is that I get to 'get in touch' with myself when the bosses arent in the office (if you catch my drift)

Jan 19, 07 12:38 am  · 
 · 
moratto

wow, congratulations on "manually" turning this thread around.

Jan 19, 07 12:58 am  · 
 · 
nnoritabonitaa

Hey chulito, read that you go to Columbia - I plan on applying to Columbia in 2008 and I was just wondering if you knew what they really look for in their applicants? I'm coming from a non-arch background so I do not really know where I stand in terms of experience, academics, yadda yadda.. I have good grades, but I sort of feel like most of the emphasis will be placed on the portfolio and not really on the grades.... I tried calling Columbia but they weren't exactly helpful with that whole aspect so I could really use your input..
thanks!

Jan 19, 07 1:23 am  · 
 · 
Cure

ya, thanks for the comments. im considering OMA though, just for starters, i heard u learn A LOT, but moneys not really worth the hours. maybe work a year? then work some where else? does anybody know how much OMA pays a typical entrylevel though? im not afraid of working long hours like futureboy mentioned. just a decent pay with lots to learning experience for the time being, thats all im trying to find.

nnoritabonitaa: dont rely on the office at our place. they are not helpful at all and a bit rude sometimes. i had the same concern too but have a arch degree already. if ur going for the m.arch, thats 3 yrs, i believe they are tougher than my postgrad degree since i did a 5 yr already. anyways, i think the personal statement is crucial. especially if ur not arch background. depending on ur other major, maybe u could display some things of it? like art ? i have some friends that were anthropology majors and they are doing architecture here (doing well too!) academics are important,..think it this way, show yourself off, make yourself stand alone, like nobody else is like you, how can you make your work beat everybody elses work? be unique. :) i hope that helped... if not ask again

Jan 19, 07 1:51 am  · 
 · 
nnoritabonitaa

thanks a lot chulito!

just two more things - any tips on setting up the portfolio? - I have very little autocad experience (last time i used the program was when i was 15 and attending parsons intensive summer program for arch) - basically all i have are sketches, a few paintings, drawings..

and the gre - Columbia says their minimum is 1000, but i know that means garbage - do you have any idea what the average scores of their students are?

thanks again for your help!!

Jan 19, 07 2:18 am  · 
 · 
Cure

hi bonita, portfoliowise i think it would be a representation of yourself. of course the obvious like organized and dated, information about your work, sketches are good, show them you are capable and willing. paintings are good because i had them in a separate book aside. it was a few print outs, just showing creativity and other kind of talents. people with no cad skills still get accepted to columbia, so dont worry about little experience.

im in the AAD program, the 3 semester prg. it didnt require GRE. so i decided to apply without it and see what happens. maybe its luck maybe it was meant to be. but GRE for m.archs are required. although personally i dont think you should stress out about it too much, just do ur best on the personal statements, get good recommendation letters, make that portfolio work, and take the GRE and try to do ur best, show them u tried at the very most. sorry i cant tell u much about that cuz i never took it. i think u should mention u attended a summer program since ur interested now, might give u more boost? im not sure about mentionin parson tho :) just paranoid about those things.

adios

Jan 19, 07 3:11 am  · 
 · 
nnoritabonitaa

okay cool, thanks for all your help!
good luck with everything

Jan 19, 07 10:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: