Archinect
anchor

computer help

jonathanh

recently my laptop has been running extremely bad. slow, lots of crashes, etc. i am in the hunt for a new computer, probably a desktop since it never leaves my studio desk. i have been shopping around and looking at the dell xps series. i currently built one with all the specs i need and came very close to purchase. but over the past few weeks i started looking at macs again. i would love to run a mac but i would be forced to split the hardrive so i could run rhinocerous and other windows formatted programs. i have been very hessitant about doing this. i have heard it is risky and leaves your computer at risk for problems. if anyone had any information, suggestions, or first hand experience that would be helpful it would be much appreciated.

thank you

Jan 18, 07 12:20 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

There's very little risk in dual-booting. Apple provides Boot Camp as an easy way to partition your drive and install all the windows drivers you need. What kind of problems were you imagining you might have?

Jan 18, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

not that i'm discouraging a switch to mac, but did you try formatting your drive and reinstalling windows?

not sure if you're tired of your laptop or if you're junking it as a means of troubleshooting.

Jan 18, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

in the meantime, run some maintenace on your laptop like defragment, etc...everyone should run defragment at least once a week...

Jan 18, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

if your drive is pretty fuil, you'll need to purge some material prior to the defrag. i think you need a minimum of 15% free space in order to defrag properly...

and for what its worth - i use an iMac Intel dual core running parallels rather than boot camp. i need the flexibility ov working in both at the same time. i have had great success with parallels, and would recommend it highly.

there's no drag and drop from one OS to the other in parallels, but your mac will see the windows drive as a newtwork volume to which you can connect.

it's a pretty clean workaround, you just to drag and drop files between the different finder windows...works fine for me.

and unless you bought a new mac with a really small drive, there;s no risk at all in running two different operating systems on it. as far as the machine is concerned, they're completely separate computers.

easy money.

(not that you shouldn't try and fix your currnt machine though, you know, reduce reuse recycle and whatnot!)

Jan 18, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

fyi, the new beta of parallels can use your boot-camp partition as your parallels disk image. so you can use one install of windows via parallels or rebooting.

Jan 18, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: