Archinect
anchor

Let me in! please...TN Professional Visa

I am starting a new job in California at the end of the month.

As a Canadian citizen, having a degree in architecture qualifies me for a TN Visa. Strange thing is you apply for it directly at the port-of-entry (airport customs in my case)...which makes me a bit nervous.

Has anyone out there successfully applied for a TN Visa in the past? Is it a fairly simple process?

Jan 17, 07 6:24 pm
snooker

Nothing is easy when it comes to immigration, unless you have a big ass bank account.

Jan 17, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

ooh, are you the one that emailed me about a certain firm? Good luck!

Jan 17, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
ampa

rationalist - yes, i'm the one and thanks again for your help! just trying to find a way to get there...

Jan 17, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

I was a TN visa user for many years. Get to the airport way early. You go to customs, like you normally would and tell the man that you are applying for a TN visa. he will take you back into a little waiting room, where you will wait and wait ... this little room will doubtlessly have a flag in every corner, a statue of liberty at the door, and a framed portrait of GWB hanging in it and maybe one of condi. it sucks. US customs officials are dicks.

anyway, eventually you go into an office with an official. you show him your diploma (bring the original - pain in the ass), your letter, your cash (exact amount in us $) and you fill in a card, and that's about it.

Jan 17, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

My wife had a TN visa. Getting the thing wasn't a problem really. J-turn is mostly correct, but we were advised to do a land crossing. Not sure why, but you at least don't have to worry about missing a flight. We ran into some problems because the TN is a non-intent visa, meaning you cannot have intent to stay in the US. (Which we didn't know but just wanted to get her here and able to work since an arch salary isn't too flush.) Basically her TN was a 1 year contract that she had to renew each year. Buying a house, getting married, etc. was in violation of the visa, which we didn't learn until an attorney friend told us not to leave the country no matter what. Which just means we needed to apply for green card ASAP and not visit Canada until it was issued. Not a problem other than USCIS takes a lot of time, costs money, and I advise having an attorney to help.

And US customs officials aren't that bad. Just wait until you visit the Canadian customs after being in the US for several months. They are the real assholes.

Jan 18, 07 9:06 am  · 
 · 
ampa

j-turn and aquapura - thanks for the stories and advice! it eases my mind a bit to know what the process was like for you. see you on the other side (fingers crossed...)

Jan 18, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: