Archinect
anchor

These interns get paid a heck lot more than us...

accesskb

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/it-pays-to-be-an-intern-at-facebook.html

repeat after me "We're not in this for the money"

Software engineering intern, Google: $6,463
Research intern, Microsoft: $6,746
Software development engineer intern, Microsoft: $5,539
Intern, Cisco: $4,017
Software development engineer intern, Amazon: $5,552
Graduate technical intern, Intel: $5,681
Tax intern, Ernst & Young: $4,136
Advisory intern, PricewaterhouseCoopers: $4,702

Jun 7, 12 10:06 pm
Rusty!

To be fair, this is cream of the crop. You don't just get a CS degree and then work at Google.  Their hiring process (even for interns) is kind of insane.

I have a number of friends who work for some of the companies listed above (and related offshoot startups). They all tend to lean slightly on the autistic side. Whoever is reading this and thinking "shit I should have done computers!", don't worry about it. You probably don't have enough rain man in you to make much of it. Plenty of CS grads end up doing IT support that pays on par with architectural salaries.

Jun 7, 12 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

is this salary pay? i made about 8k last year (for the year) so it sounds about right. Guess I am above average.... sad thing is... i wish i was joking! (yes I know that is per month... makes me sick.

Jun 8, 12 8:12 am  · 
 · 

yeah, that's the elite of the elite in that group. to compare that to most other professions is patently unfair. and, to be fair, we don't generate the kind of value that generates the revenues to justify paying those kinds of salaries. take that for what you will.

also, keep in mind, a really good c.s. engineer can make 100k easy just out of school. you just have to decide if it's the path you want to pursue. hours are super intense, as is the pressure to deliver. 

Jun 8, 12 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

I was talking with some of my CS engineer friends one day and learned that they were not much concerned with making six-figure salary. 

They were concerned about How High in Six Figure Salary.  These guys are basically 4-5 years into their profession.  i'm going into my 4th year of experience but i couldn't tell them how much i make...

Jun 8, 12 10:57 am  · 
 · 
H3ndrik

"hours are super intense, as is the pressure to deliver"

You mean in architecture? lol

Jun 8, 12 11:41 am  · 
 · 
marlowe

Also keep in mind that interns landing an advisory job at PWC or as a tax intern probably had a 3.8-4.0 GPA in High School, near perfect SAT/ACT scores and are likely in the top 5% of their class. My suspicion is that few of us have (or had) those characteristics.

Jun 8, 12 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

h3ndrik - for the most part? absolutely no comparison. way more pressure on the engineers. failure means a whole lot more money wasted/lost...

Jun 8, 12 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"for the most part? absolutely no comparison. way more pressure on the engineers"

My small sample is quite the opposite. They all have flex hours, which means getting to the office by 11 and leaving at 6. Couple of times a week they stay till 8. This is on the computer side. The research and development side is more like 8-5 firm, with overtime being rare. They all feel bad for me and my work hours.

perhaps greg, my friends are smarter than your friends and can get their shit done on time. :p

Jun 8, 12 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I see all the programmer types here in San Francisco(Zynga,Linkedin,Twitter, Genentech,Google...) riding their expensive bikes from their expensive apt's over in the mission - yup I have to ride the bus - and I am working on designing their spaces - "Oh he's just the facilities BIM dude - let him in to make measurements"

Jun 8, 12 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"Plenty of CS grads end up doing IT support that pays on par with architectural salaries."

Rusty, I beg to differ on this - I do not know ANY IT professional here in LA that will work for less than $85 an hour. And this is for simple networking stuff that I can do myself as well...

Jun 8, 12 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Rusty, I beg to differ on this - I do not know ANY IT professional here in LA that will work for less than $85 an hour. And this is for simple networking stuff that I can do myself as well...

that's self-employed contractor rates.  how much do sole practitioners usually charge in LA?

Jun 8, 12 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

Pointless thread, this is like comparing apples to...yuzu.

You might as well compare the salaries of the average 25 arch intern with the salary of the average 25 year old lefthander who can throw a baseball 90 mph or the average salary of a 6 ft tall model with unblemished skin and perfect bone structure.

Of course Baptiste Giabiconi makes more money than you.  He's fucking gorgeous, yo!

Jun 8, 12 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

I'd like to add one thing..It seems like while the CS career may pay off very well at first, as you get older you get a lot more age discrimination compared to other fields because not only it is hard to keep up with all the changing technology but the companies prefer fresh graduates so you better climb to the management level before you hit 40 or go out on your own. In architecture it is the opposite. The older you are the more respected you are.

Jun 8, 12 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Hate to say it - but architecture is heading in the same direction as CS

Oh you don't know Revit 13.25? you haven't passed your IDP in 3 years? Not licensed in 5?

changed careers to arch at 40? 

Jun 8, 12 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

Also, keep in mind that STEM is nothing more than a product of the hype cycle. While technology is moving the world forward, a completely technocratic society just becomes science-for-science-sake.

Eventually, this technology-based economy is going to have to come to the harsh and sudden realization that the world is finite. That being said, you can find plenty of examples in the Dot-com Bubble where internet-based companies and internet providers failed to provide anything of lasting, tangible value.  

Hell, even Amazon has decided to go brick-and-mortar because of a lack of real business growth.

When people stop taking the built environment for granted and realize that growth in the 21st-century will depend heavily on major infrastructural investments and a movement towards medium-to-high-density development, architects will probably be end up paid as lucratively as someone who writes code to monetize on-line solitaire.

Jun 8, 12 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
worriedGrad

Not to depress more but I did the switch from an M.Arch. to a M.Sci. info Science about a year ago. Went from a 10 buck an hour offer as an architect intern in Palm Springs (turned it down for research instead, would have lost money) to now getting paid about 40 an hour (would be 82 k a year full-time). 

My role is called User Experience Designer and honestly I mostly use what I learned in the M.Arch. year, not what I learned in info science. 

I miss architecture....but I'm still sorta doing it. I don't program all day, I work in photoshop, do user interviews, and create mock-ups and concept art. Sooo....yeah dunno. If you're an architect doing a "OMG what did I do..." check out jobs titled User Experience Designer or Interaction Designer. replace building with computer screen and you have a field that isn't going away any time soon. 

Jul 23, 12 1:56 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

Let me see, you use Photoshop all day long and do concept art and think the field won't be flooded in a few years..Hmm.

"you have a field that isn't going away any time soon. "
And  who guarantees that?

Jul 23, 12 4:00 am  · 
 · 
garethcooper9

Don't forget that we are discussing companies like Google, Microsoft, Cisco and Amazon. These are all  top companies and leaders in IT. To get an IT internship in the best IT companies in the world then you are crazy good. 

Holland And Green Architectural Services

Jul 23, 12 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
worriedGrad

Yes paradox, these computers are just a passing fad....and noone cares about good design in relation to them, we'd all prefer to use terminals and Unix code. 

garethcooper9: Take a look through linkedin or diced.com or indeed.com for interaction/UX designers. I realize that architecture is passion, not money, but it may help the bargaining time when people are looking at jobs if they can tell the employer, "Ya know, i can take my skill set, jump to a tech company, and make about twice what you're offering....and maybe come back someday and start my own firm." Really though, at half of my Arch. lectures they'd discuss how Architecture was a changing phenom...maybe its next step is embracing the tech age a bit more and realizing that we're nto just inhabitants of buildings but also of virtual communities and spaces. 

Jul 23, 12 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
ArchJr

fuck.

Jul 26, 12 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

started by architecture grads

http://www.blacksquare.com/

Jul 26, 12 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: