Archinect
anchor

Funeral Home Case Study

[deSIGN]LANGUAGE

Sort of a strange building typology, but does anyone know of some creative case studies for funeral homes or crematoriums? Appreciate your responses.

Jan 14, 07 12:13 am
binary

isnt there a certain layout with the cremations/etc for an unwritten rule.... procedures/etc.......

b

Jan 14, 07 12:18 am  · 
 · 

toyo ito recently finished a crematorium that is quite different.

and of course the kaze-no-oka by fumihiko maki

personally i find both funeral homes and crematorium's very creepy. the removal of dead people from our sight, in the modern industrialised and sanitised way, is not a nice thing to experience. still have bad feeling about watching former boss being pushed into a fucking huge kiln. won't tell you the rest of the deal, but in japan cremation process involves family and friends picking large bits of bones out of the remains with large chopsticks, prior to grinding into powder of the rest, and naturally after consuming a blessed meal while we waited for the loved one to be well and tuly cooked. ugh.

Jan 14, 07 1:11 am  · 
 · 
oe

Ive got a whole pile of examples if you need them. Just off the top of my head, BAAS did a funeral home in Leon, and there are somewhat less interesting crematories attached to Aldo Rossi and Gunnar Asplunds respective cemeteries. There was a great one I found in Italy late in the game and cant seem to remember where or by whom...

Jan 14, 07 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Medit

yes, Jordi Badia (BAAS) has designed more than one pure, white, rationalist morgue..

Jan 14, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 

there is a very good thread on cemeteries and related subjects. i am posting the link here.

Jan 14, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i did a funeral home that normal dead people would love to be viewed in. however, you all would hate it so there...

Jan 14, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: