Archinect
anchor

Incentive Programs for Environmental and Energy Efficient Developments

I am interested to hear experiences and suggestions as to what sorts of incentive programs government entities can impliment to encourage Environmental and Energy Efficient Design in new developments. The trouble is that medium to small sized cities cannot compare their efforts to mega-cities like Seattle and Boston, so it would be interesting for me to hear about small city cases. Other than the obvious positive environmental impact, what are the incentives?

Jan 12, 07 7:52 am
Nevermore

and What are your motives in wanting to know ?

Jan 12, 07 7:53 am  · 
 · 
perturbanist

yah whats the damn deal? whats that up your sleeve boy?

Jan 12, 07 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Well, I work as an urban planner, and I haven't been able to find examples of cities similar in size to the city I work for which are doing the things that we are interested in.

Jan 12, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

This is a good topic to discuss- so stop being so perturbed by the question.

St. Paul has a wide ranging sustainability plan including lots of recycling and alternate energy, since I don't live on that side of the river, I'll ask Beta to fill us in.

Austin has one of the longest running programs thanks to pliny fisk- some of the UT kids can answer this one.

California has the 'one million solar roofs' inititive that SF is taking the lead on. CA title 24 dictates state wide energy performance for all new construction, so this is a different case then other states.

Has Bill MacDonough influenced Charlottesville, VA to be a leader? a city doesn't get much smaller and remain urban....

Jan 12, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

The city of Sebastopol in Sonoma County, CA requires Greenpoints from the Alameda Waste Management group for all new construction. All cities in Sonoma County are required to maintain current stormwater runoff for all construction over 1 acre, such that developing the site does not increase the site runoff. All but one city in Sonoma county has an urban development boundary to limit growth. We also have the Sonoma Land Trust which uses public money to buy open space to preserve as open space. Agressive, if not irrational, enforcement of septic wastewater treatment to limit development by default, rather than ordinance (I am skeptical of the approach, but have had little luck convincing them it is better to do it by ordinance).
Those are some of the local means used, their are many other state and utility programs, such as PG&E's Savings by Design that provides technical expertise and review funding for the design of new commercial buildings...
Lots of ways, still waiting for the 4 kw Solar on every roof to replace the chicken in every pot promise from the politicos.
j

Jan 12, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

Oh yeah, Huanmic,
I completely disagree as to the best source for incentives. I think the local cities are the best place for incentives, since they dole out the permits, they are the BEST source for "financial incentives". Undeveloped land doth not make money, just taxes.
j

Jan 12, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
MikeDong

did kathy ask you to post that question online? coz i have one or two answers for you about that...

Jan 12, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

LADBS promises to make the plan check process less time consuming by cutting you in front of the plan check line if the project is registered with USGBC, received a "silver" or higher rating, and meets minimum registered project checklist points...

Jan 12, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

bump

Jan 16, 07 7:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: