Archinect
anchor

rubber flooring

SaltyOrange

does anyone have any thoughts on rubber flooring?
(raised radial rubber tile over exg. concrete)
like nora or roppe? a rough cost per/sf?
thank you in advance.

Jan 12, 07 6:09 am
liberty bell

From experience, I know that even though it wears pretty well, it is very hard to keep looking clean, and thus is actually not a good choice for an institutional setting that doesn't spend much on maintenance.

Don't know cost/sf but I recall it being at least half again as much as VCT.

Jan 12, 07 8:38 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I looked into using eco-surface flooring on a project. They were very good about sending out samples of the various flooring. As I recall there were two price ranges for the flooring I was looking at. The lower tier price was for the Product which had a very high black content with a highlighted color. The product with less black was more expensive. It ranged in cost from $6.00 to $9.00 a square foot.

I was concerned about how easy it was to maintain although a different product from what your looking at, it seemed to me it might be a problem. Being rubber, it is for no better word, "sticky"

Jan 12, 07 8:52 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

It looks good in that bud light commercial.

Jan 12, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

The rubber floors were the first thing I noticed in Steven Holl's Cranbrook building when I visited it.

It had just opened, yet the floors were bubbling and peeling up everywhere...

Jan 12, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

8/sf (will depend on your market)

the complaint i get with the textured rubber flooring (raised squares or circles) is that the mop leaves a grime shadow.

look at resilient athletic flooring for weight room applications
ecoearth is good

Jan 12, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
joshcookie

Also, last I checked it isn't appropriate for food service applications as the food oils degrade the surface.
j

Jan 12, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Hell - I recall last year doing a raised square rubber floor tiles at somewhere around 12$/ ft installed. I think it was Roppe.

The key to making it look right is a six layer wax finish. In an institutional setting it will last forever and retain its finish as long as it's proper mantainance is adhered to.

Check with mfr for wax products - it took us forever to find it and get proper instructions. In fact, it was our carpet guy who clued us in. Its a lot of work but worth it. Without the proper finish it will just look like dirty rubber.

Jan 12, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

it can be fine for some foodservice, if you use the right mfr.

we use Altro Safety Flooring in some of our commercial applications. commercial kitchen hallways and the like. it's great in high traffic areas with linear traffic...

Jan 12, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

for kitchens there are specific rubber floor products than say a weight room or hallway or daycare. One that supposedly is a crossover product is Protect-All. Have'nt used it yet but have been requested to by institutional client that uses it frequently in Kitchens and locker rooms.

Jan 12, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

we also use another composite, trowelled-in-place flooring in the kitchens themselves, called Duraflex. It's not rubber...actually a quartz aggregate, but is springier than it sounds. Not nearly as stiff as concrete, but not a sprung floor either.

not to get too far off from the rubber idea...

Jan 12, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

is that the epoxy or acrylic duraflex product?
i've used epoxy in kitchens before, some jurisdictions wouldn't allow it. the kitchen stuff comes down to the local health departments requirements -and they can differ.

evil, thanks for the wax tip.

Jan 12, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

polycrete-hf is the duraflex product we usually use, acrylic, from what i know.

i also have these samples for "Protect-All" rubber flooring. looks pretty good, but haven't seen it used.

we've always wanted to put a layer of the rubber underneath the trowelld duraflex. would probably make a nice comfortable floor for cooks and waiters on their feet all day.

no messy grout, you can cove the duraflex right up the base...but no. haven't had a client willing to go that route.

Protect-All, by Oscoda, can be found here.

Jan 12, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
kwarch
http://www.ecosurfaces.com/
Jan 12, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
SaltyOrange

thank you all...great info.

Jan 14, 07 7:28 am  · 
 · 
snooker

ecosurfaces is the product I looked at and that was the material cost without installation.

Jan 14, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
marlowe

I have used Nora rubber tile flooring in a number of projects.

A few thoughts though:

If you are placing the flooring on a concrete slab on grade, you'll need to make sure you specify a vapor barrier (stego wrap) and detail it properly. T

Jan 14, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

I used Nora on the stairs in my house when it was renovated.

Wanted to use it on one of the washroom floors too, but the contractor screwed-up  there - he didn't mix the adhesive properly; it's a two component adhesive, but he used only one part, so the tile didn't stick. He corrected it by giving me marble tile with floor heating in the washroom.

Nora is very nice, and can be expensive. Bought mine in Germany - oddly, it's supposedly explosion proof!!!

Jan 18, 21 10:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: