Archinect
anchor

washington pass rest facility

holz.box

m.p. 162, north cascades scenic byway.
any seattle-ites know who the architect was?

Jan 12, 07 5:27 am
3west

I believe it was designed by Douglas Kelbaugh. He is the Dean of Architecture and Urban Planning at the University of Michigan.

Jan 12, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

3west,
thanks. you're a genius.

now if only pics on the web were available.
wood design and building used to have the archives online, but they took them down a while ago.
it's like the coolest bathrooms ever.... ever.

Jan 12, 07 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

A book on the rest stops in france needs to be written, some of the best landscape architects on the continent seem to have each gotten a signature pit stop along the roadside...

Jan 13, 07 10:37 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

they'd have to include the toilets on the belgian highways, as well.
when we lived there, they were sweet. usually on a bridge instead of 2 seperate facilities ala here in the u.s. they cost a bit, but damn they were clean.

Jan 13, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

This guy?

Jan 14, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
kaf

There was actually supposed to be a visitors center accompaning the toilet facility, father out along the outcropping. Not enough money was raised.

The National Forest Service held a student competition at The University of Washington for the project in the early 90's I believe. A foreign exchange student from Olso won, and a few years later actually carried the project through DD. It was finished by Peter Cohan (U of Washington professor) and Kelbaugh a few years later.

Feb 8, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
shrub

Einar Jarmund of Norway was the original author I believe, and was an exchange student at UW at the time. Now Einar has a successful practice in Oslo. Here's their website: http://www.jva.no/

Feb 8, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

shrub, i am familiar with jarmund's office. they have some really nice work. ithanks for the insight.

Feb 8, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: