Archinect
anchor

work and study?

trish

Did you work while you were/are studing, if so how many hours and how difficult it was/is?

Jan 10, 07 6:39 pm
lletdownl

for my first 2 years i worked maximum 20 hours a week, after i got the hang of it more and decided to move from the dorms to an apartment, i took on more hours and by the end of 3rd year i was working about 35 hours. 4th and 5th year i worked on average 30-35 hours... 15 at school, 15-20 at an office.
it wasnt difficult... you get used to it... you get into a rhythm and it becomes just like everything else...
however... i still think its best that people dont work while they are in school because im sure that if i hadnt worked so many hours, i could have probably done better, met more people, got a long better with my profs and gotten more sleep.

but i guess if your asking this question you really dont *have* to work... if thats the case... i wouldnt

Jan 10, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

16 hrs/week from third year on, but I had one semester where is was more like 20-24/week, which really sucked.

I missed taking some pretty great elective classes because of work, and it definitely would have been better for my stress level if I could have gotten by without it.

Jan 10, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
trish

Unfortunatly i DO have to work, i'm planning to work just freelance for about 20 hours, but might have to do more sometimes. It's good to know that you managed to work so many hours while studing. You should be proud.

Well i might win the lottery before September ; )

Jan 10, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

really it will work out fine... my biggest suggestion is to work in chunks... i would do my best to make sure i had only night classes tuesdays and thursdays, and i would work all day both those days... theres almost 20 hours right there... then just pick up a monday or wednesday morning and maybe work 4 or so hours on the weekends

you'll have 2 long days, but its manageable, and like i said, set a schedule, keep the schedule and it will be fine

Jan 10, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

the other bonus is that when your used to 12 hours + days as a norm, those days when you dont have work, or you get to sleep in are sooooo much sweeter... plus it makes working for real easier.

even though im staying late often, i was techinically putting in waaaay more hours 7 months ago when i was still in school than i am now working

Jan 10, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
trish

Yes i guess i can do that lletdownl, if i'm working freelance by that time it should be a matter of being organized.

OldFogey, you mentioned about your professors not being happy about you working, i'm a bit concerned now becouse i've just finished my personal statement for my application and wrote that i plan to be working no more that 20hrs bla bla bla, maybe i should get rid of it then.

Jan 10, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
trish

that's if i get any time to sleep lol

Jan 10, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I would not mention that you will be working in your personal statement. I worked during school and it was not taken well by anyone. Peers as well as teachers. Better just to leave that out.

Jan 10, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
trish

I guess i will now. It's only my second day on this forum but i'm loving it already, thank you guys, you probably just saved a year of my live.

Jan 10, 07 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

teachers loved that I worked when they were trying to explain materials and methods type stuff.... they hated it when they were trying to set up a field trip for a tuesday morning.

Jan 10, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
some person

When I was a senior in high school, I worked at a firm for 10 hours/week. During college (undergrad and grad), I worked an average of twenty hours/week plus full time every single summer since I was 16. I think the professional experience was very important for my career. However, I did miss out on a lot of the college stuff like "just hanging out" or getting to work in studio all the time.

Overall, it was a good experience in time management. However, it is now difficult to quantify "how many years of experience" I have.

Work experience (or the intention to work during school) seems to hold little weight among university professors. However, you will be miles ahead of your peers who did not work during school upon graduation.

Jan 10, 07 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: