Archinect
anchor

Quote source...

oe

Im trying to figure out who said "The most valuable members of a society are its artists and criminals." or something like it. Something about them being the ones who define and test its limits...

Dec 28, 06 8:12 pm
Katze

I am not sure if this is the reference you were looking for but I found a couple of references about artists and criminals in this article.. "What makes one person choose painting and another robbery? A controversial theory suggests that artists and criminals have a lot in common: they both break the rules"

Oscar Wilde – 'no essential incongruity between crime and culture'.

Painter Maggi Hambling – 'artists and criminals have a lot in common'. Both, she claimed, express a primal rage. Love, hate, fury, despair and passion can be given utterance with brushes and pens, or with guns and knives.

There are a few more quotes in the article...

Dec 28, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

contractors are criminals.

Dec 29, 06 2:12 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

william wordsworth (based on google)...i've browsed through my 'cynic's lexicon' book and found something close but i lost the page...gonna hit up my george carlin trilogy, but that could take some time...

Dec 29, 06 2:16 am  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

stanley kubrik:

"I've got a peculiar weakness for criminals and artists--neither takes life as it is. Any tragic story has to be in conflict with things as they are."

Dec 29, 06 2:20 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

some clients and all contractors are tragic criminals

Dec 29, 06 2:22 am  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

david carson:

“The criminal, like the artist, is a social explorer.”

Dec 29, 06 2:27 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

punky...you got something there...

Dec 29, 06 2:34 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the difficult part is navigating through irrelevant stuff...

Dec 29, 06 2:37 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

found this...

"every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers"...mignon mclaughlin

"society is produced by our wants and government by its wickedness"-thomas paine...

"society prepares crimes; criminals are only the instruments neccessary for executing them"-l.a.j. quetelet

Dec 29, 06 2:52 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

this idea goes back to the romantics and has been said in one way or another by many people. it based on the premise that artists and criminals are the ones that challenge and rebel against a strict social structure that no longer exists (at least not in the west) but remember to live outside the law, you must be honest.

Dec 29, 06 9:18 am  · 
 · 
oe

Im thinking Kubrik is what I was thinking of, but Im sure this idea has been around along time. All these are good :) thanks guys.

Dec 29, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: