Archinect
anchor

taking a bite of the sh*t sandwich

holz.box

aka... when is enough enough?
this one needs a little background...

you've been at your job less than 6 months.
you only took it because you needed the paycheck and had to leave your former place of employment or kill your failure of a boss. the project they said you would be working on? nowhere in sight. instead, it's a lame facelift of a hideous but highly visible building. during the first few weeks of employment, 3 firms of much higher caliber offered interviews/positions. oh yeah, and your p.m. decided to call it quits after the xmas bonus, dumping all the shit in your lap. there is no possibility of working on any other projects, at least for the next 8 mos.

hypothetically speaking, let's say i turned down the offers because i didn't want to be "the guy" that takes a job and then leaves it in less than a month for a better position (thanks, mom and dad)

the only positive going for me on this job is i get to learn BIM. oooh yay. The truth is I'd be happier loading boxes for UPS and doing competitions on the side.
mmmm.. [crunch crunch] tasty.
suggestions?

Dec 27, 06 8:31 pm
strlt_typ
'the project they said you would be working on? nowhere in sight. it's a lame facelift of a hideous but highly visible building'

what exactly is your role in this project?

Dec 27, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

officially, it's "job captain"

i've been working w/ design director and p.m. through s.d. doing most of the legwork (short of pricing & contractor coord., material selection, presentations).
will be ramping up for cd's shortly, and there will be a new p.m. brought in (since i don't know squat about commercial t.i.'s and have little c.a. experience for a project of this scope)
i'll be doing most of the c.d. set and consultant coord. w/ his help.

Dec 27, 06 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

never, never listen to mom and dad....go beg for a job at one of the places you interviewed with.

Dec 28, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Holz......here's my take on the supposed situation where you "hypothetically speaking" wanted the other job:

You could have just gone to the boss and said - After some deliberation, and careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that this is not the right fit (insert in here something else like: best environment for me, etc) for me, and therefore, regretfully must advise that I am resigning from the position. I thank you for your consideration, but just feel this is the right decision.

Then you bolt and take on the job with the other higher caliber firm and be "that guy"! After all it is your career, not mom and dads!

my $.02 cents

Dec 28, 06 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

oh and slam dunk that sh*t sandwich!!

Dec 28, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

I'm with pert. Call up one of those other offers and say, "You know, I've realized I made a bit mistake not taking your offer. Are there any openings there now?"

Dec 28, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

screw what other people say (mom and dad or anyone). Do what is going to make you happy..take the other job

Dec 28, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I would say secure the other job....then leave.....be sure to pass gas on your way out the door.....or just do a fart walk. If you feel so inclined. However remember a good exit is something you can look back upon and say I did the right thing....but as they say "Shit Happens."

Dec 28, 06 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
newc

I hate to be the optimist here because I am certainly NOT that person!

But...

If you are lacking the experience that this particular job needs than maybe you should be thankful that you will gain some. All experience is good experience.

If you don't like the job, too bad job captain. Maybe work there a little longer than a few months before you expect them to drop the "sweet" projects in your lap. I'm sure there are other people there that feel they deserve to work on the "sweet" projects.
Maybe a change in the old attitude will lead to project manager status on the projects you will be excited about. Until then, either quit or get the job done.

Sorry, that may have been a bit harsh. Do what you want to do, just don't expect a firm to treat you like you have been there for five years in less than 6 months. We test out all employees on the "crap" projects first. If you work hard you will be rewarded!

Sh*t, I sound like a project manager who expects too much I think.

Dec 29, 06 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
some person

newc: Kudos for having the guts to say that. I tend to agree with you. It's good to see another straight shooter around here.

holz.box: (I'm feeling optimistic today.) Believe me, I know how much it sucks when your project manager jumps ship mid-project. You have two choices: 1) Trudge along at your current pace and wait for someone else to step in; or 2) Rise to the occasion and learn how to fill the shoes of your former PM. While the second option certainly won't be easy and will give you tons of stress, it will probably be a good experience for you in the end (or so I keep telling myself.)

And you'll be done in 8 months, right? That seems like a bearable amount of time. Good luck.

Dec 29, 06 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
newc

Thanks DCA. Your #2 suggestion is right on.

Dec 29, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: