Archinect
anchor

Your chance to become Gin's roommate

Living in Gin

My current roommate has decided to move in with her new boyfriend, so I thought I'd let the Archinect community know that I'm looking for a replacement. Just think: Your once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to share an apartment with me and my Eames chair.

Details here.

Dec 27, 06 2:45 pm
JMBarquero/squirrelly

ooh oooh ooh... where do I sign up! LOL

It looks like a beautiful place LiG.
Do you know where you're going to go to school??

Dec 27, 06 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'll probably be finding out in late March or early April.

Dec 27, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Well good luck mate, Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

Dec 27, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I emailed you, Gin.

Dec 27, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Hmm... I haven't gotten your message yet, myriam. Did you email me via archinect or via craigslist?

Dec 27, 06 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Damn that price is amazing!

Dec 27, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Shit, I should have asked for more money, then.

Dec 27, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Cool stuff - what I find interesting is the building to the left, what's that 'Gin?

Dec 27, 06 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The building to the left, like much other new construction on the block, is an exercise in overpriced, poorly-crafted historcist schlock. (The building to the right is an exercise in PoMo schlock made of DryVit.)

Dec 27, 06 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

what I want to know is how close you are to Ethel's chocolates. Mmmm....ethel's chocolates...

also i head up to gamekeepers up the street for lsu games. nice neighborhood!!!

Dec 27, 06 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ethel's is less than two blocks away... There's also a nearby dive bar (the Tripoli Tap) that seems to be Chicago's official gathering spot for Red Sox fans and Boston expatriates.

Dec 27, 06 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Ooohhhh, Ethel's... you can stop in for hot chocolate on your walk back from the L on cold days!! Damn. This is sounding better and better.

Dec 27, 06 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

screww the red sox!

Dec 27, 06 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ha, yeah I'm thinking that, too. It's ok Gin--I'll be fine staying away from Boston expats... ;) I prefer to hang with the southern expats. Friendlier!

Dec 27, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Wait, does this apartment actually come with gin?

Dec 27, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

gin...private garden....shaft to daylight? or ocean view

Dec 27, 06 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

if it comes with gin, I have dibs :) oh, wait a minute, that would mean I would have to move to chicago. hummm…

vado - you are in big trouble now, boy!

Dec 27, 06 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The kitchen is usually stocked with Tanqueray gin, vermouth, Harvey's Bristol Cream, and one or more of the following beers: Newcastle, Stella, Harp, Goose Island 312, Pilsner Urquell, and Boddington's. I'm happy to share as long as you're willing to share your own stash, or make a contribution to the Living in Gin Lush Fund.

Snooker: In this case, private garden = 25' x 25' plot of land between the building and the garage. If you want an ocean view in Chicago, you'll have to wait a few years for global warming to take its toll.

Dec 27, 06 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

hmmm...maybe i should move to chicago. i could add my johnny walker, grey goose, compari (for le bossman) and budweiser to the mix. i also have a bad habit of buying wine...and occasional, adventurous mix, i.e., merlot + scotch

Dec 28, 06 12:04 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I drink a lot of 7 and 7s. Yeah, yeah, I know it ain't classy... but it gets the job done. Gin I can't offer too much to the kitchenry stash except my secret family recipe for chocolate mousse... the real french deal. Oh yeah and lots of coffee brewed fresh in the french press. That apartment's gonna go soon so I gotta talk myself up.

I'm fun to play scrabble with!

Dec 28, 06 12:13 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

damn gin,

making me want to move to chicago (never been there)...i want to get the fuck out of l.a...i need cold weather so i can wear thick jackets and a scarf...gotta find a job first though...but not confident yet with my skills...booo...

damnn....

Dec 28, 06 12:26 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

merlot+scotch...better claim a name for that...

Dec 28, 06 12:27 am  · 
 · 
Katze

I beleive puddles calls it merlotch...

Dec 28, 06 12:33 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Merlot and scotch?? Can't you just drink brandy or dry sherry like a civilized human?

Dec 28, 06 12:37 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i want some merlotch...

Dec 28, 06 12:40 am  · 
 · 
Katze

I know! I told him a while back that if Scotland Yard got word of his concoction, he would be arrested on the spot . Dammson, I just received word they are looking for you too :)

Dec 28, 06 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Oh, and Budweiser in the apartment would be grounds for eviction. Especially if some roommate thought that a Bud would somehow be proper compensation for a filtched Newcastle.

Dec 28, 06 1:07 am  · 
 · 
Katze

i am sooo with you on that gin...good call!

Dec 28, 06 1:11 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I have nothing against cheap beer, but at least make it PBR or Old Style.

Dec 28, 06 1:21 am  · 
 · 
myriam

If I can find it, I will be drinking Unibroue's Éphémère when I move to Chicago. I will probably also keep a stash of their darker La Fin du Monde on hand.

Dec 28, 06 1:56 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Never fear: Sam's is within easy walking distance.

Dec 28, 06 3:05 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Dude, that place looks great!!! On the other hand, they seem to have every Unibroue brew known to man (including some I've never heard of and would love to try) EXCEPT Ephemere. Trader Joe's often has the same problem. What is up with how hard it is to find that beer?!

Dec 28, 06 3:09 am  · 
 · 
Katze

myriam, if you like the taste of Ephemere, you might like the Belgian Lambics – have you tried them? Although I have to say that they are just as hard to find in the U.S. Well, I take that back – you might find them but the freshness could not possibly compare to drinking one in a local Brussels pub…

Dec 28, 06 3:33 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

oh, i forgot to mention that i always keep shelf space for a six pack of zima...couldn't make it through a day without a nice, cold something different

Dec 28, 06 9:58 am  · 
 · 
some person

It truly is a small world. Your neighborhood is great, LiG.

In 2000, my undergraduate studio professor took us to Chicago to study rowhouses for our project. I took the L down from Northwestern where I had been visiting my boyfriend (now husband) during the morning rush hour. Our professor met us at the Starbucks on the corner of Armitage and Halsted He had designed a building on the corner of Dayton and Armitage (I think) and was proud to show it off. We spent the day photographing rowhouses in Lincoln Park, the Gold Coast, and Printer's Row.

In 2005, my husband and I were in Chicago for a wedding. Recalling my delightful Armitage and Halsted experience, I booked an appointment at Salon 1800 on Armitage. A young cutiepie stylist named Frankie did my hair and told me stories of how her boyfriend - a chef at the Peninsula - had seen a lot of famous people. After my appointment, I stopped at Ethel's and stocked-up on a few treats.

I also agree with those above who said that $800 is a steal for that neighborhood. It's a shame you'll be moving out in a few months.

Dec 28, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think i took a leak in front of that building one drunken night...

Dec 28, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

wait, ... its full of gin?

Dec 28, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I thought I'd bump this thread to let people know the place is still available... Trying to rent this place is becoming much more of an ordeal than I was anticipating, and I'll be in a world of trouble if I haven't found somebody by this time next week. Most of the responses from craigslist have been from people too illiterate to actually read the ad, or the usual parade of Nigerian money order scammers.

Details about the apartment

If you or anybody you know might be interested, don't hesitate to get in touch with me. Note that I've dropped the rent down to $700. The ad says that the roommate will be paying for half the utilities, but I'm willing to include all utilites in the rent for archinectors or friends of archinectors.

Jan 23, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

thats a sweet place gin, surprised you havent rented it out. what about new arrival myriam?

Jan 23, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I liked the apartment (and Gin!) quite a lot but also realized that truly I just want to find a place for myself only. For the last 8 years straight I have had roommates nonstop and I am ready for a space all to myself to launch my Chicago life. However, were I to live with a roommate, Gin would be an excellent choice.

Jan 23, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

(wonders if he should attempt to bribe myriam with a $50 gift certificate to Ethel's...)

Jan 23, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

If you post it through MySpace, I'll repost it to my friends list. People on MySpace tend to keep the idiocy at a minimum if it's something serious like an apartment listing.

Jan 23, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh look at that. You already did. Sorry I'm a bit slow these days.

Jan 23, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I sent out a bulletin on MySpace earlier today... Let me know if it didn't show up.

Jan 23, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

(cross-posted)

Jan 23, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

We're psychic.

Jan 23, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Feel like moving to Chicago next weekend?

Jan 23, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'll move in if you drop the rent, move out and let myriam have your room.

Jan 23, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: