Archinect
anchor

Power Tool Essentials

b3tadine[sutures]

Okay, so I am starting to amass power tools - I got a Craftsman for Xmas - and I want to know the essentials I should have and need to get, if I want to build my own things. Think anything from finish carpentry to general wood frame carpentry. I also would like to start putting together metal working tools - welding, shaping, etc...

Thanks

Dec 27, 06 5:34 am
TED

i have always found it best to make the purchases when i have the project [like renov. a house]

my no. 1 tool is my sawzall [porter-cable]-- i generally buy to keep and have been less disapointed in sears power tools[have router, saber saw and a small table saw] [sort of a step of from tool shop] but love the durability of hand tools - esp wrenches.

i have 2 protable drills - well worth the inverstment - but still have a elect drill and hammer drill as the speed/power of the protables is limited if your doing something tough like conc.

i like porter-cable and have beyond my sawzall have a palmsander and electric plane. very sweet.

other bits i have are a beautiful delta table saw
,plane, and compound miter saw. if your doing any proper woodworking the compound sliding miter saw is a big investment but well worth it[if your going for rough carpentry, make certain you get one that can do 10"]. i found with the planer - i can buy less quality [by grade] wood or used wood via dumster diving, clean it up a bit and plane it down to perfection.

also in the mix, chop saw, drill press, belt sander and grinder.

Dec 27, 06 8:14 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

dust collection is #1- get a shop vac.

TED are you really Norm Abrams?

Dec 27, 06 9:15 am  · 
 · 
adso

The end-of-the-year Fine Woodworking Magazine is devoted to tools and shops and has a good article on tools for a starter shop.

I agree with TED in acquiring tools on a project basis, that way you will get the tools that fit what you work on. If you are doing carpentry work, then portability might be an issue whereas if you're making furniture in the garage, then you can get more stationaries. I do the latter so something like a sawzall is of no use for me, although they are damn fun.

A decent table saw is first and foremost. The cheap ones are just that, cheap. Second would be a good router, third a band saw.

You'll develop your own likes and dislikes brand-wise, but I'll list a few of mine here:

Avoid: Black and Decker (targeted to home use). Anything from Harbor Freight.

Hit-or-Miss:Craftsman, except as TED said, for wrenches and sockets. I'm sure your circular saw is fine, but I've had drills and such from them that have just been poorly made (I think they are made by Ryobi, also is a hit-or-miss company). Delta (avoid the low end stuff)

Good: Bosch, Porter-Cable (although not as good since they were bought by Delta), Milwaukee. I've never been fond of DeWalt, but some people I know like them (Black & Decker owns Porter-Cable, Delta, and Dewalt). Makita, Hitachi.

Dec 27, 06 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Can't live without...

Dec 27, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
adso

Norm Abram, by the way, is a hack.

Dec 27, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Also, can't live without...

Dec 27, 06 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Norm Abram can build a jig that turns a tree stump into a craftsman style chair in one pass.

Dec 27, 06 10:01 am  · 
 · 
meow

ted, i want that delta.......how much did that set you back?

Dec 27, 06 10:25 am  · 
 · 
TED

meow - might have been close to $1900 about 4 years ago - but paid for itself- if you want to T+G anything its the way to go - dada blades set will run you about 100-180 alone but worth it. the bench and fence allows precision that is amazing. the bugger weighs a ton.

dust collection is a must - especially for the saw and planar - the planar is really cool!

its home depots rigid brand which i think is pretty good. had a 10" chop saw with them that got nicked but was fun cutting aluminum.

summer 2005 i was building a stair and morticing treads + risers [without the dust on] accumulating lots of sawdust below the saw. well the house across the street was being demolished and i walked back out to the garage where the saw was and thought 'my that demo across the street has some small fire going' well needless to say it was my garage where the smoke was comming from - my pile of dust. luckily i put it out but if i had waited another 15 min or so to go back to the garage it would have been completely engolfed[and another f'ing job!] but must say oak sawdust smells great when it burns.

that dewalt is the one i have - i burnt one out and have two others now as i always had multi jobs going.

i should have bought a sheet metal brake - i spent so much at my local metal guy it would have been worth the investment.

although now i would be looking at cnc for my next investment.

wouldnt it be something if norm abrams had a 5-axis puppy?

Dec 27, 06 11:03 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

ted vila was the corporate hack (thats' why he was fired). norm is the real deal. that steve guy is just a tourist... steve made his tv debut by sailing across the pacific in a polynisian canoe, and had never built anything before getting drafted by TOH.

Dec 27, 06 11:08 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

That's a nice Table saw TED!

I've been drooling over this table saw for awhile. You have to watch the video to believe it. Keeping all my fingers would be well worth the couple hundred extra dollars this costs.

A good jigsaw is another good power tool investment. Bosch makes the best. I agree with what everyone else is saying about all the brand names. I think DeWalt's are fine, personally I like their cordless drills.

Dec 27, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

For metal getting a good table for welding and a MIG set up are probably the best places to start. Getting a sheet metal brake is a good idea too. I've also enjoyed having a bender (who doesn't enjoy nice bender now and again?) for steel rods. Being able to custom bend chair or table legs is very satisfying and easy.

Dec 27, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 
4arch

steve is gone now and was replaced by kevin last season. kevin's like steve before he knew too much.

norm's not a hack but his job has gotten a little too cushy...he probably hasn't had to pay for any of the tools in his shop for years.

if anyone's the hack it's richard (the plumber)

Dec 27, 06 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

betadinesutures.

one place that i would recommend everyone look at is grizzly.com...
they sell all their own stuff as well as the other popular brands...and
usually for cheap. i've bought most of my tools either from there or
from other places on the web.

i personally like dewalt a lot...drills, biscuit cutter (which i don't think
has been mentioned yet), jigsaw and crosscut saw. other good drills
come from makita, porter cable.

porter cable is also a very stable brand for me..i have two routers from
them and i think their stuff is usually well made. my sawzall and
circular saw are from them as well. i was going to start buying their
nailguns before i stopped buying tools and really needed new stuff.
hitachi makes a nice router as well.

one major component of any new shop is clamps. pony pipe clamps are
nice and cheap..you can find those on line as well...although i had a local
shop here that would match any online price which was nice for a while.
i believe the also make nice standard 18"-36" etc. typical clamps....or
are those jorgensen? anyway they're orange and nice and usually not that
expensive.

i think the typical screwdrivers, wrenches, socket sets etc are worth it
when you need them. i would probably start with a drill and go from there.
although you already have a saw.

as far as a table saw goes...i think if you can somehow find an estate
sale or the like where someone is selling off a good shop that'd be the
way to go. the new versions of the table saw are cheap in my experience
to the old school saws...a lot lighter, but i also don't think they stay as
true or are as easily adjustible as the old ones...although you may do
better with a contractor saw if you don't have a lot of space or need
portability.

i think the most important rule is you get what you pay for. clearly it's
not worth spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on tools..but seems
to me that most handheld power tools are available for 150 or so range.
i wouldn't skimp too much on price cause you want tools that will last
and are worth using.

Dec 27, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

forgot about kevin. rich tethowee isn't that bad when it comes to the latest gadgets in hvac (always been pushing radiant heat- yeah!), but that landscaper makes my skin crawl...

Dec 27, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Dec 27, 06 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

...head catching basket not included.

Dec 27, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
TED

everytime i watched this old house i always felt they 'dissed the architect -- if there was even one involved. really promoted decorators and dyi hackers- that contractor that called him self a landscaper should have been taken back to the shed and put out of his misery. i wouldnt even call him 'landscaper'

Dec 27, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

chili,
that drill is only 14.4 - don't bother with anything less than 18v.

bought this when we bought our house - love it.

also bought this - ok, but a little too weak and wobbly.

what i really need is a good workbench...

Dec 27, 06 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

lars thanks for mentioning clamps - you can never have too many clamps.

Our house is full of Dewalt, Porter-Cable, and a few Bosch. One of my husband's former students, who is Japanese, referred to Ryobi as "children's tools".

I understand Craftsman tools are actually quite good but don't have the reputation they should. The amazing carpenter on one of my current jobs swears by his Craftsman cordless drill with a LED light to illuminate the spot you are drilling - it is really cool and one of those things you can't imagine how you got along without it before.

Also, my personal advice, for your drill, get one of those bits that is a drill on one end and pops out to be a screwdriver head on the other - quick change, saves time.

And always wear eye protection.

Dec 27, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

i agree about them always dissing the architect. they try to make it seem like tommy and the boys just fingure everything out on the fly.

Dec 27, 06 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

if you're gonna get into working metal...these are some tools i've collected over the years.

-if you have a 220/240v power source in your house/shop then i suggest getting a MIG welder that takes this voltage...I bought a 220v MIG welder but i found out later that it'll cost me around $1500 to upgrade the old panel and route a new circuit from the panel to the garage, where i do my welding...so i traded it in for a 110/120v MIG welder...according to specifications, 3/16" thick metals is maximum...but there's ways around this, such as beveling edges, etc...the 220v welder can weld thicker metals...If you've never welded before then i suggest using gas shielding from the get go...better looking welds, much easier to use. the flux core shielding will work, and the quality of the welds will depend on your technique, but it's messy for beginners...so buy a tank of gas with your welder...you can research the different gasses used and combinations of gasses for certain applications...currently i'm using a mix of 75% argon/25% carbon dioxide...this is the most common that works well with your typical steel...

-makita grinder or an equivalent that's durable...this and the welder are a crazy duo!...the makita 4.5" grinder is crazy durable...i've put a lot of hours on this makita grinder and its still working great...i've collected an assortment of wheels for this thing...metal cutting, grinding, sanding, rust removal, wire wheel, etc...buy a whole bunch of the metal cutting wheels because you'll go through them quickly...go easy on them becuase they're thin and deteriorate too quickly...

-a helmet to go with your welder...some welders i've spoken to prefer the self dimming type...these have the glass that is transparent when you're not making an arc...but as soon as the glass detects a high intensity light, then it dims automatially to protect your eyes...i actually want one but i didn't want to make that investment if i can work with the old-school masks...don't buy a cheap self dimming mask...if your gonna get one, get one made by hobart or lincoln...i made the mistake of buying a inexpensive but crappy with no name brand mask and the quality of the dim is inconsistent, first of all...there were times when it was just too dim and i can hardly see the work...and there have been instances when the self dimming didn't work and i was staring straight into high intensity light without eye protection...piece o'shit!...so if you can afford the better quality self dimming helmets then go for it...the old-school ones come in different grades of shading...test them out to see which shade is comfortable for your eyes...the non dimming herlmets can be cumbersome at times...

-welding gloves, gauntlet style...get one that reaches pretty close to your elbows to protect your forearms as well...i use a thicker one...but these could be uncomfortable at times...some people like the thinner gloves for the comfort and would rather keep track in their heads where the hot spots are and where to not rest your hands...but there are times when your hands just need to be holding that hot piece of metal...

-an assortment of welding clamps...i i have 4 different size C-Clamps and i use them often

-a respirator, goggles, and a full face shield ...for when your grinding metal...if your gonna be producing a lot of metal dust, like grinding a piece metal into shape, then use the respirator/goggles combo...but if you're going to be cutting, hammering metal where there's pieces of metal that could fly into your face, then use the face shield...i want a company to produce a combination respirator and a full face mask...like an astronaut helmet...

-if you can afford a metal chop saw then get one...i don't own one but there's times when i need to chop a long piece of steel angle into smaller pieces quickly...

then there's other tools that you will buy as you go...drill bits for metal...other clamps, etc..

Dec 27, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

what FOG Lite also said...a welding table made of metal...

Dec 27, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

what about masonry????

back in philthy, i built a garden wall using salvaged brick- that was fun!!! only need a trowel or two, a plastic bucket for mixing the mortar, and a level (I skipped the level for a bruce goff organic effect). Oh, bolt cutters for cutting the reinforcement mesh...

Beta- whatcha gonna build??? give me a shout and I'll join in the fun.
(even bring a few tools over).

My delema is gettting my edges sharpened. inherited a few wood planes from my granpa that are duller then a butter knife, and my chiseles have gotten beat up on birch ply building bookshelves.

my next big DIY project will be some shelves for my wife's office and then in the spring I'll play in the mud of my garden... Any thoughts about seed catalogs?

Dec 27, 06 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

I got a few tools that are worth every penny.

Milwaukee 1/2" corded drill. Built like a tank

Makita miter saw light, and all around good performer

Makita circular saw. basic, but it does what I need

Milwaukee sawzall. Again built like a tank

Porter cable biscuit jointer. Basic but works well

Bosch SDS demolition hammer/drill I love this thing, I can blast a 3/4" hole in concrete with a carbide tipped drill

Porter Cable 5" random orbital sander.

Milwaukee 4" disc grinder/sander Built to last

Makita cordless drill I liked it til the rechargeable battery died and then the charger itself died. But I would still buy another

Miller Cricket XL mig welder 120v. With shielding gas I can weld just about anything. Light sheetmetal to structural components. It's all in the technique. This welder has paid for itself 10x A great investment

Delta contractor table saw. Well built. Probably 20 years old. weights a ton Someone gave as payment for some design work

Craftsman 4 inch grinder. Not bad but not as well built as the Milwaukee

Some not so good tools

Ryobi cordless drill. It's piece of sh@#

Quality tools are a worth the money. All my tools have performed without trouble. Cheap power tools do not last. And basically are considered throw away tools. There nothing worse than being in the midst of a project and having a cheap tool crap out on you.
A good tool will pay for itself

Dec 27, 06 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

My Favoite Tool is a 6'-0" long Pry/tamping Bar. I have moved large rough cut granite foundation stones with it along with 4X4 blocks and
2" scrap bronze piping. My wife was most impressed when she saw me moving these monsters around in the back yard. Just the other day I couldn't find my splitting maul, so I just used the bar to split some big ass chunks of aged maple. It also proves most helpful in building fences to keep the dogs in and people out.

Dec 27, 06 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

what i have

jet 2hp table saw
delta bench table saw
micro mark table saw
delta band saw
delta belt sander
dewalt 6 tool 18volt combo case
dewalt circular saw
dewalt cord sawzall
delta mini belt/disk sander
dremel with drill press
delta drill press
bosch jigsaw
fein corner sander
porter cable router
porter cable air finish nailer and brad
halogen lights
30+ clamps
lincoln welder
palm sanders round and square
hand planer
drill bits/forestners/spade/hole/acrylic
machinist squares
calipers
tweezers/rulers
bungy cords
table saw blades... thin kerf/combo/triple chip/cross cut
bench vise
shop lights

items i sold last year
crapsman air compressor
bunch of air tools
torpedo heater
framing nailer

:

Dec 27, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
TED

cryzko - how come you ditched your nailers? - because they were crap?

i have a bostitch

couldnt live without the finish nailer - so clean - no 'holidays' - used it with framer + flooring nailer also.

Dec 27, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i had a senco framing nailer and kept jamming up..i kept the other nailers... so i sold it along with my shitty air compressor ....... i have a small dual tank compressor that i tag along.... i got rid of my air tools since i was done with my project car and sold them all off at a decent price........plus i needed the cash at the time....

i want to get a delta unifence table saw..... i use them when i work for this other guy and when i ran the woodshop at the university...... my jet fence is a bit tall for my techniques......

i wanted an iron-worker but i dont have a shop yet so it's hard to buy anything that's over 110v/15 amp.... i have 2 garages that i work in.... but thinking about moving if work/life doesnt get better....

i want to get a air stapler next.... good for luan bases/etc...

:

Dec 27, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
emilyrides

Wow, everyone has such amazingly nice tools. It's nice to see that architects actually get down and dirty with their projects, as well as drawing them. I'll go with Chili Davis and give Five Stars to the Dremel. The Dremel is such an amazing versatile thing to have, and the amazing and fairly inexpensive attachments are great for nearly any light duty building project.

I love love love my Miller Mig welder. It's a workhorse, and we've built many bikes together over the years, so it's hard to go wrong with one of those.

I don't think anyone mentioned that you have to have a Craftsman 4 drawer metal toolbox. It's a design classic, it's indestructible and can hold nearly everything you need in a portable package.

Dec 27, 06 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
binary

emily...bikes as in custom street bikes..motorcycles or lowrider bikes/etc.... need more info

:

Dec 27, 06 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

This thread is making my insides fluttery for the day I have a place of my own to put permanent tools in.

One thing I've always wished for was a part-time city shop--like, is there such a thing as a full-service shop where you can rent time with their tools, or something? Everyone I know who stayed near my university after graduation got to keep up use of the arch. school woodshop... well, at least people who were friendly with the amazing shop head. Part of me has always regretted not staying in the area for that reason alone.

I wonder if you can get time at a local uni woodshop somehow? Has anyone heard of this?

Dec 27, 06 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

And Ted, tops on my list are table saw and planer as well. Man, I love planers. Do you have a drum sander, too?

Dec 27, 06 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Air tools ftw-

Dec 28, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 

i got this.

Dec 28, 06 12:50 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

orhan...is that a lathe?

Dec 28, 06 12:52 am  · 
 · 
Katze

It certainly is! That's the Sherline 4000 model. I'll take one of those and one of TEDs beautiful delta table saws. I am having heart palpitations!

Dec 28, 06 1:09 am  · 
 · 

thats a sherline mini lathe for metals. it can be hooked up to a computer. same company makes milling machines and cnc systems.

Dec 28, 06 1:12 am  · 
 · 
Katze

you are killing me, really! :) you lucky dawg!

Dec 28, 06 1:21 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i want to be snooker...

Dec 28, 06 1:59 am  · 
 · 
binary

tools i forgot to mention

socket set standard/metric
open/box wrenches
racketing wrenches
delta spindle sander
torx/allen/square bits
screwdrivers
sawhorses

and a bunch of little things that come in handy for 2-3 occassions

:

Dec 28, 06 2:26 am  · 
 · 

i love to have a panel saw for cutting plexiglass sheets. i saw a kit once that adopts your circular saw.

Dec 28, 06 10:15 am  · 
 · 

i have a lots of tools to many people's surprise and i know how to use them and do.

Dec 28, 06 10:16 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

SCI-Arc shop represent!

Dec 28, 06 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Frit

I've been told that the peaople who used to actually make the Craftsman line of tools for Sears now make the Rigid tools for Home Depot, Sears just wouldn't let them take the name. I'm not sure on that, but I have a Rigid shop vac, miter saw and table saw and have never had any problems with any of them. and the vac particulalry has seen a lot of use.

Dec 28, 06 11:18 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Having an English Wheel for shaping metal has always been a dream of mine.

Dec 28, 06 11:19 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

FOG lite, i learned how to weld and work with metal there...i hang out at the metal shop...\m/

Dec 28, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

Meow, before you can get that Delta, we need to get out of your mom's garage and princess’s basement.

How do we do that you ask? Hook up tsunami wet dream with quad dual core processors, roll up your sleeves and add a little thrifty/mza muscle and we have an instant 10K!

That's all you need...

Oh…

And a tub of Vaseline and a paint brush wouldn't hurt...

pun intended.

Dec 28, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
binary

depending on the blade, you can flip it around and cut acrylic with it.... and you can usually find a panel saw on ebay..... i picked one up for 350 and it cut 5' baltic birtch sheets..... got rid of it.... no room and lack of space ............ i still regret it to this day

:

Dec 28, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: