Archinect
anchor

OMA wins in Shenzhen

sverris

why still wasting your thought-energy on OMA? interesting things are happening elsewhere.

Jan 3, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Steven: About cds in nl....
There are offices doing their own cds but since building is extremely difficult here (even German contractors freak out coz of all the rules!!) many offices decide to hire others to do it. Most famous is Bureau Bouwkunde, they are great in calculating and getting it build, without them we wouldn't have the wozoco's or other buildings like that.
In a way it is like hiring a local architect when you do a project abroad but then in your own country.

Vindpust: It is even worse, if you don't lock your bike you will get a fine for making people steal!!!
Yes sometimes we are a sick country : )

Jan 4, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

wow. i am stunned.
how could it win?

personally, I don't like koolhas since i visited IIT's McCormick center.
but then, i thought he was better than this!

well. somehow it's giving me confidence
road to starchitect isn't that far away

Jan 4, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
knock

does anyone not see the contextualism in this:

Shenzhen City officials: we want a modern pagoda

REM: ok, as long as i get to put some huge, kickin' braces at the bottom of it

Shenzhen City officials: YES! someone finally said yes!

Jan 4, 07 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
sverris

S.Park,
that is right: we are stars, and some of us shine as bright that rem looks rather like a brown dwarf...

rutger,
in my experience, most NL-firms do not care a lot how it will build what they design... fancy images producing, making books of it, and then handing the later phases to Bureau bouwkunde because the problems start. this "fuck the detail"-attitude was even presented as a philosophy, but the result was not a true architettura povera, but a lot of cheap crap.

Jan 7, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
bucku
http://www.dezeen.com/2007/01/11/new-shenzhen-images-from-oma/

some more pics of the phallus looking more like a building.

Jan 18, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Sverris, I have to disagree here, although you might be right in some cases. If you are building something that has never been done before like MVRDV's early works, villa VPRO, wozoco's or the Expo pavillion there will be some solutions that turn out to be crap, that's a prize you have to pay for adventure and exploration. Without the mistakes they made we (architecture) wouldn't be where we are know, many kick ass buildings wouldn't even be considered to be build if it wasn't for others to have made the mistakes first. MVRDV and their clients took risks, and yes those buildings have many imperfections but they also have been a big step in the evolution of architecture imo.

Jan 18, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: