Archinect
anchor

Zaha Hadid-Istanbul project

Serkan Ennac

Zaha hadid won the competition of Kartal district in Istanbul. Pls send any idea or comment about it

http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=36688_0_24_0_C

http://www.arkitera.com/competitionproject.php?action=displayProject&ID=88&year=&aID=579

Dec 13, 06 3:22 am
Apurimac

meh...

Dec 13, 06 4:25 am  · 
 · 
Serkan Ennac

with meh? :O

Dec 13, 06 7:20 am  · 
 · 
misterTT

i'm very interested in the ken yeang masterplanning. I've always admired his towers, as they keep popping up in all sorts of lectures/discussions, from ecological design to context to structure, etc. Has he been involved in this type of masterplanning before?

also, he's got a tower coming soon in Portland; anyone know where I can find info on that? I saw one thumbnail pic in an arch. record a while ago, but no more since.

Dec 13, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
postal

ken yeang rocks hardcore washerboard style

...too much coffee already

also, his books rock just as hard, lots of good info

with a quick google this is all i found http://www.sijournal.com/greenbuilding/1763066.html

but back the original thread, i can't really evaluate Zaha's stuff. The power is somwhere in between surreality and fantasy. I don't knock her approach, it's just vastly different than the way I've been taught to think about architecture.

Dec 13, 06 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Serkan Ennac

i like ken yeang but i think his buildings just seem like ecological but they are not... for example norman foster's commerzbank is more ecological than ken yeang's ...but commerbank doesn't seem ecological...

Dec 13, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 
cj w.

i also think ken yeang is trying to push the envelope of ecological design however in the new national library of singapore building i didnt find it to be very effective in the ecological sense.. in fact i remember he advocated against the use of aluminum cladding in his book for projects but somehow the library building had A LOT of alum. cladding...

Dec 13, 06 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

You know, I used to really like Zaha's stuff, and I still do from time to time. But in all honesty some of her latest work looks like she (or one of her staff) spent a a couple of hours on maya and BANG, we've got award-winning Zaharchitecture.

Dec 13, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Serkan Ennac

in her office Patrick is "Zaha" says the whole architects working there..

Dec 14, 06 3:42 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

Maya hair dynamics was definitely used for the project, but it is one of the only proposals that tied together the districts instead of just articulating the differences of either end of the site.

Dec 14, 06 4:19 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

Dec 14, 06 7:23 am  · 
 · 
Serkan Ennac

nice photo!!!! :)

Dec 14, 06 7:26 am  · 
 · 
cj w.

does anyone have more details as to the competition winning proposal? is there a website (in english) wherein we could read about her concept and other details as well? what bout the other competitors?

i honestly think that this is a nice masterplan idea, however, given the scope of masterplans it is quite difficult to adhere to every aspect accordingly in the time frame of the application of the design. somewhere down the road i hope they hold fort and realize the original concept rather than go into some compromise whihc could dilute the concept...

have u guys seen the revised london aquatic park design?

Dec 14, 06 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Serkan Ennac

i have only these... so bad that i don't even know there was an exhibition about all projects.. but i guess ,if there were i would know. a municipality competition..Did u know that no Turkish architect was informed about this competition. Only 6 chosen famous architects were in the competition...

Dec 14, 06 10:38 am  · 
 · 
cj w.

oh thanks serkan..
anyway found some other page bout it...
http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=2291

hmm perhaps the organizers of the competition only wanted to solicit ideas from these starchitects in the form of a competition.. that way they can get the best ideas for the least money... just like gazprom and morphosis's tower design competition.. seems like the players have always been the same..

Dec 14, 06 10:54 am  · 
 · 
jsml

in a recent lecture.. i was able to gain an understanding of this (in simple terms) mesh that joins the currently two divided areas with a unifying mesh that morphs to become somewhat of a flux between the two.. the mesh which then becomes manipulated in the z direction gives hierarchy to different area of the masterplan depending on the specific uses of that area.. etc etc.. too some are so quick to judge with a beh.. not knowing anything about the ideas behind the images.. and yes.. zaha herself while quite the icon is not the ultimate mastermind behind all of the projects that come out of the office... the office from my understanding is a research and experimentation "lab" to say the least
just my 2 cents

Feb 1, 07 8:31 am  · 
 · 
cj w.

to me what i am seeing is that zaha's office is slowly becoming , yes jlaucks, a research lab... and lately since she has been collaborating with patrik schumacher who handles the AADRL, her works have evolved into an era of designs effected by digital technology... however the concept you stated seems interesting and with this technology the representation of the idea became evident and applied.

as a masterplan i think its great... hopefully it is implemented without compromises and dilutions of the original concept.

Feb 1, 07 9:25 am  · 
 · 
trace™

zaha switched to Maya? last I knew she/her firm used Max (and is on the 3D Studio website), which has fur, fyi.

I like her work. As far as I can tell, she is one of the only architects out there that has truly evolved and pushed her approach and designs.

Feb 1, 07 9:41 am  · 
 · 

trace, they are still using max.

Feb 1, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 
jsml

cj w._thanks for the understanding remarks i don't claim my explanation of the concept as a full scope of the idea butt.. as a basic level of explination without having many notes or a recording to reference on this topic.

Feb 1, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
jsml

i believe they are also using maya, max, as well as rhino

Feb 1, 07 9:57 am  · 
 · 
ooid

technically speaking, this is a big chance for turkish architects and students to see such a big and radical project during construction phase and the other thing is, these urban projects can be controlled by public without any limitation to see any details for regulation requirements which means, local architects will learn how to build or draw non-planar structural elements or how to rationalise complex surfaces(double curved,etc..) into smart components.

Feb 1, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: