Archinect
anchor

Laser cutter in the $3,000-5,000 range?

MahoneyMethod

Hi
I have been giving the task of finding a laser cutter in the $3,000-5,000 range. Speed is not really a concern but the cost of maintenance and materials is a huge hindrance.

users: 20
usage: moderate (at best) model making
materials: mat/wood/acrylic

Thanks
Russell

Dec 11, 06 10:45 am
Abel Oner Office

14.2" x 11.8" x 2.8"
(360mm x 300mm x 70mm)
is like $7,000
Ive been doing the same thing::
peep: www.signwarehouse.com

Dec 11, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Check out Versa-laser.

Dec 11, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
binary

versa is the way to go....you can buy the intergrated cart/etc......

i'm also on the market for a machice but you have to find where you want the dollar to stop....... upgrades can add up along with extras..... i ran a 50,000 machine and had some tricks/etc....was nice

get the air assist
honeycomb table
vacuum
30-35 watt laser and you should be fine

:

Dec 11, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
MahoneyMethod

Yes the Versa 10-30 10-50 looks awesome - however the price is starting at $7000 +.....
I would have to sign in blood just to get a $5000 model....are you saying there is nothing in the 3-5,000 range?

Dec 11, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

make sure you have the budget to properly ventilate the cutter... the ducts and fans can add up.

just think a $20k machine replaces 2 or 3 interns cutting chipboard/year- easy to have it pay for itself. so don't skimp.

Dec 11, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
MahoneyMethod

We are the interns (this is for a small school)....so the $3,000-5,000 is pretty FIRM.

Anyone use an FB400 by CADcam? Wondering what the price may be....

Just a side note on the "information age" - why do companies still insist on "contact" us for pricing? Post the numbers Johnny ...the numbers!

Dec 11, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

The $9.95 option, extras included.

Dec 11, 06 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

as interns, you (still) need to learn how to build models without a laser cutter- while there is a skill to preparing cad files for the zapper, weilding an xacto blade is much more usefull for your long term professional development (and there are lots of things that a light beam can't cut).

$3000 buys alot of xacto blades, choose your handles wisely.

Dec 11, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
binary

a laser machine wont help you if you dont have the knowledge of the model building craft...............

i taught a 1 semester model building course and my student were not allowed to use a laser machine....... and i can tell you that once i showed/taught them the few tricks of the trade and how to run a table saw/band saw, their models came out real good......

leave the professional model building to the professionals...... there's alot to learn....

if you want to invest in a laser machine, also invest in
table saw/mini
band saw
belt sanders
machinest squares
calipers
acrylic
etc....

and remember, you get what you pay for................. might be better just to outsource the laser cutting....going rates are between 80-120 and hour plus materials depending

:

Dec 11, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
MahoneyMethod

Ok - I agree with everyone - you need to learn how to make models by hand - I agree 100 percent!
Now can someone help me with some recommendations in the $3,000-5,000 range (if one exists) for a laser cutter?
Thanks

Dec 12, 06 12:02 am  · 
 · 
binary

one doesnt exist...... you need to drop at least 10 to get by

:

Dec 12, 06 12:39 am  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

this is about as close as your budget will allow

http://www.signwarehouse.com/engravers/pinnacle_v.htm

Dec 12, 06 1:29 am  · 
 · 
emilyrides

There are many situations where this cliched mxim doesn't hold true 'You Get What You Pay For' - but tools are one area where it should be your watch word. Cheap tools suck at best, and just don't work at worst. Using bad tools leads to churning out shoddy work, and if you're in an institutional/educational setting the last thing you want to do get students into bad habits before they even get into the workforce. I definetly sympathize with your budgetary constraints (schools never have enough money to do their job correctly) so maybe you can have a fund raiser or something along those lines. I have to agree with the general opinion of most everyone else here, that a cheap cutter is more headaches than it's worth. Good luck.

Dec 12, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
nixietube

you might try putting the word out to some larger arch. firms (or any other place that might have them) that you are in need of an inexpensive laser cutter. . . my alma mater relied heavily technology either donated or purchased second hand. as was noted above, this was often accompanied by various technical headaches. however, i think a laser cutter that works 75% of the time and can be maintained in-house is a better option than pulling 10k out of thin air.

Dec 12, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

If this is for a school you should try to negotiate a discounted price.

But I agree with everyone else. Laser's should only be used after you have mastered modeling and just for final, presentation models.

I would have no clue how to design if I didn't design with model making and I can't see how someone else can either.

There's just something about holding that model, designing and fine tuning by shaving tiny pieces of chipboard off, putting on, recutting, etc., until it's just right.

You could never do that with a laser cutter.

Dec 13, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: