Archinect
anchor

books on transition from school to professional

grad06

As my name indicates, I've recently graduated from my undergraduate school in architecture and was wondering if there were any helpful books I should read to ease the anxiety from transitioning from school to professional practice.

Also, if there are any books on how to get used to an office environment, stuff they didn't teach you in school and the stuff I probably ignored/forgotten in my pro-practice courses.

And finally, any advice on becoming professional and not just another punk-kid that's going back to school in a couple months.

Thanks in advance

Dec 10, 06 12:46 pm
robust84

i don't think there's any books that tell you that. you just gotta do it. follow the examples of your new coworkers have have successfully braved the transition. ask them for advice.

it's hard to not be "just another punk kid" when you're doing your best to avoid long hours at work so that you have time to work on your m.arch applications in the evening...for sure

Dec 10, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

carry at all times...

Dec 10, 06 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

Years ago, there was a book titled "Uncle Nat's School to Office Handbook", and available at Prarie Avenue Books in Chicago. I think it was self-published in small quantities, but is no longer available.

If anyone every finds a copy that can be reproduced, I'd like a copy.

Dec 10, 06 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

the first thing you should when starting your career is to find a [i]good mentor[\i]. he/she can teach you more than any book could. for me, this was critical for my professional development.

Dec 10, 06 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

That's excellent advice, dammson.

Dec 10, 06 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
binary

make sure you have 2 ultra fine tip sharpies on you at all times..... and if you want to really have a few tricks up your sleeve..... measure your fingers and relate them to a scale...i.e. index is 20'@x scale.... this way you can bust out some quick measurements when needed.......

:

Dec 10, 06 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
BE

Dana Cuff, Architecture: The Story of Practice, MIT press.

Dec 11, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

There's nothing to be worried about. This whole profession needs some laxatives.

Dec 11, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
Dec 11, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Here is one resource!

The Survival Guide to Architectural Internship and Career Development
Grace H. Kim
ISBN: 978-0-471-69263-8
Paperback
272 pages
February 2006

Written by Grace Kim, a young architect who has worked in large and small firms and started her own firm, this is a concise, helpful guide to understanding the choices and decisions you will confront on the road from student to practitioner. Whether you are currently an architecture student, starting the internship process, taking the registration exams, or beginning your own firm, this book demystifies the process for you.

Dec 17, 06 6:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: