Archinect
anchor

office fridge

stephanie

does every office have one of those people who eats other's food items in the fridge?

i just discovered that somebody ate my snickers bar that i won in yesterday's lunch and learn. it was in a box, with my leftover 1/2 sandwich.

grrr. that was going to be my mid-morning snack.

Dec 8, 06 1:02 pm
FRO

do you always refrigerate your snickers?

Dec 8, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

cold comfort for the sufferer

Dec 8, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

We used to have an office assistant that would go in the fridge, take out other peoples' sandwiches, take a bite, then wrap it back up and put it back.
He'd also make regular coffee in the decafe pot, among other things.
The partners eventually sugggested he find a different job.

Dec 8, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

no. it was a special circumstance, that i realize is a bit odd.

Dec 8, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

tc79:
that is freaky! i want to throw up thinking of someone taking a bite out of my sandwich and wrapping it back up.

i just loudly shared my conundrum with a co-worker who suggested invistigating garbage cans for wrappers.

Dec 8, 06 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
HHNB

whom ever does eat someone lunch should remember, karma does come back.

Dec 8, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

On a different but related note, what kinds of policies do offices have to keep their fridges from overflowing?

As our office continues to grow simply asking people nicely to clean out the fridge isn't working anymore. We've thought about implementing a policy of tossing everything that's not cleaned out by 5pm Friday but it seems a little extreme and probably makes a lot of work for the person who has to police the fridge.

Dec 8, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

while your going around checking people's trash cans...take the extra step of inspecting their mouths for the smell and traces of nougat & peanut...

Dec 8, 06 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

*you're

Dec 8, 06 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

quondam, jeez thats a whole heap of dutch brainfood youve got there.

Dec 8, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

brain food and drain food

My quondam kitchen has a Dutch tiles motif, hence "when in Rome."

Dec 8, 06 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i think these pictures are a hoax.

Dec 8, 06 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
http://www.quondam.com/01/0004.htm
Dec 8, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

even this topic can be found in the archinect archives

somebody ate my lunch

Dec 8, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

I just had a gag reflex.....and lookie here....gots some peanuts and nougat. (gag reflex courtesy of tc79's story).

sorry

Dec 8, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

That thread reminded me of something I totally despised in corporate architecture culture: "Lunch 'n Learns". Ugh.

Dec 8, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i knew there was a prior thread about this! i was just too lazy to look for it...sorry.

i like lunch and learns! yesterday i learned about egress and fire doors, it actually was useful information, and besides the snickers i won a ruler with a calculator in it. which was exciting until i rendered it useless after noticing that it doesn't do fractions, which is usually my t#1 in a calculator.

Dec 8, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

We had a lunch-n-learn on Tuesday from this aesbestos abatement company. Baked chicken, potato, steamed veggies, pasta, prime rib, cheese cake, all kinds of goodies. Word around the office is that's the be all end all of lunch-n-learns. They do it every year in December, too! My leftovers made it till Thursday, when I had them for lunch. They were in a container with my name sharpied on it though. Usually it's just pizza and pop around here.

Dec 8, 06 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

yeah, what's wrong with lunch n learns? even if you learn absolutely nothing you at least get free food out of it.

Dec 8, 06 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

No reason to ever to hungry if you're the one in charge of scheduling them.

Dec 8, 06 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I guess I just didn't like being blasted by advertisement during my one precious hour of mental break during the day.

I don't like learning about all the different new colors available for vinyl baseboard. I hated the fact that I even had to spec vinyl baseboard, and that such a product ever was made to exist in the first place.

I think it's just that the lunch 'n learns scheduled at my old office were not the best kind, they were the boring, useless kind. I love learning about new products--I was just in the wrong office for me, doing the kind of work I wasn't interested in, so the lunch 'n learns were about products I didn't care to know about.

If I were learning about, say, how tilt-turn windows operate, or recycled glass countertops, or porous concrete... now THAT I would LOVE! Or fancy cabinet hardware from Germany... mmmm....

Dec 8, 06 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

focus on the food and block anything else you think are irrelelvant...

Dec 8, 06 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Most firms where I've worked have been pretty open to suggestions when it comes to which companies or products to bring in for lunch n learns. Where I work now there isn't really even a specific person who handles it. If you want something presented just call the rep for that company or product and set it up. You don't have to tell them there's not a snowball's chance your firm would ever spec their product.

Dec 8, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

yep. we'll let anyone feed us. we seem to have a lot of lunches from reps of residential products despite the fact that we do almost all commercial and institutional work.

Dec 8, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Sounds like a good system, bryan. I'd take advantage of that.

Dec 8, 06 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

I fart in the office fridge all the time.

Dec 8, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Our office fridge is the mini-est of mini fridges. It usually has only a pitcher of water and a bottle of gin in it. If we want to store anything else we have to temporarily evict the bottle. The small size prevents buildup of old smelly lunches, but it doesn't seem to prevent confusion and lunch-theft. A couple days ago my coworker and I got the same thing for lunch, and each wrapped up half of it afterward and stuffed it in the fridge. Even though I wrote my name on mine with a big green highlighter she managed to take home mine and not hers.

Dec 8, 06 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

eww!

Dec 10, 06 3:11 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

we had some leftover cheesecake that a rep brought in and i wanted to take some home with me. so, i "borrowed" some tupperware that was in the dishrack in our office kitchen. it is sitting in my dishrack now and prolly will be for the foreseeable future. im a selfish prick.

Dec 10, 06 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Queen of England

I fart in the office tupperware all the time.

Dec 10, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: