Archinect
anchor

channel glass

SPYDER01

any one know of a good supplier in the US?

Dec 7, 06 12:28 pm
Living in Gin

First you ask for an engineer, then you ask for white countertops, then you ask for channel glass... Doesn't your office have a resource library or even a Sweets catalogue?

Dec 7, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Is this the only webiste you can get on your browser?

Dec 7, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

there is a guy down the street who has some good stuff...

Dec 7, 06 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Spyder, if you keep asking us all these questions, we're going to start asking for a percentage of your design fee!

Check out: Pilkington Profilit

Dec 7, 06 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

LiG, he's also asking about LEED for Homes...

haven't you ever heard of GOOGLE...

you gotta give a little before you can just take, take, take... newbie.

Dec 7, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

In his defense, nothing beats a personal recommendation of something, and google won't give you that. Seems like a perfect use of a website full of architects! :)

Dec 7, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm not answering here because I only have a vague notion of what "channel glass" is. Do you mean that stuff Steven Holl used at the Cranbrook science Center, basically 3/8" thick glass formed into channel extrusion shapes?

Dec 7, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

yes it is the stuff holl uses.. used it at pratt also... i ask questions here, bc the knowledge base of fellow archinectors is pricelss....

Dec 7, 06 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I don't know jack.

Dec 7, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

everyones moody

Dec 7, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

yeah... i'm moody today... sorry... it's been a long, bureaucracy filled week for me...

however, currently 4 of SPYDER01's 8 entries are on the first page of discussions trolling for information on what appears to be a single project... if you can't find at least some semblance of information on materials, LEED, and structural engineers by yourself, then perhaps you shouldn't be doing the project???

i just think that one of archinect's unspoken rules is to not bombard the discussions page with a bunch of questions, especially as a newbie...

plus, everyone knows that pilkington profilit is THE channel glass...

Dec 7, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
binary

plug... check 1...2.....check check....plug 3.4.... are we on the air....

:

Dec 7, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Two companies manufacture the stuff. one in england and one in germany. there are two state-side distributers, one in NJ & on in Seattle. lots of local companies rep and will want to sell you some of that $$$ stuff.

Dec 7, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i requested samples from pilkington before i left my firm... never got to see them though. but they're reputable.

Dec 8, 06 5:14 am  · 
 · 

spyder,
chk out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60399740@N00/155786803/in/pool-icaboston/

and you have found your salesman!

Dec 8, 06 5:56 am  · 
 · 
Pimpanzee

Is it just me, or does that Diller-Scofidio Building suck?

Dec 8, 06 7:37 am  · 
 · 

might be you.

Dec 8, 06 7:44 am  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

the building is cool.. but the mechanical crap on the roof sux...

yeah i know the prilifit.. hard to swallow the $180 sf though...

the d+s glass is a bendheim system same stuff a lil cheaper from what i understand.. .

i would just really like to know if there is something similar to that stuff just not as expensive...

and im not an architect btw... i dont draw the stuff, i build it....

Dec 8, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

nope, unless you want plastic/fiberglass...

look at w+t folk art museum...

Dec 8, 06 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Marc Fink

LINIT channel glass, manufactured in Germany by Lamberts and distributed in North America by Bendheim Wall Systems, is the channel glass featured in sleek glass walls at
1) Bloch Building/Nelson-Atkins Museum - Steven Holl
2) Boston ICA - Diller Scofidio + Renfro
3) Minneapolis Central Library - Pelli Clarke Pelli
4) Heimbold Visual Arts Center/Sarah Lawrence College - Polshek Partnership
5) Higgins Hall/Pratt Institute - Steven Holl/Rogers Marvel Architects
6) Shaw Center for the Arts - Schwartz/Silver
7) University of Massachusetts Amherst Fine Arts Center - Perry Dean Rogers Partners
8) UCSF Mission Bay Parking Garage - Stanley Saitowitz/Natoma Architects
9) AMB Property headquarters/Pier 1 - SMWM
10) Swiss Embassy residence - Steven Holl/Justin Rüssli
Look at Steven Ehrlich's Westwood Branch Library - only LINIT channel glass could meet the architect's spec for tempered glass over 20 feet long and LINIT is the only tempered channel glass to be SGCC certified.
At www.bendheimwall.com you can read about these projects and others designed by architecture firms including Kohn Pedersen Fox, Gensler, Rafael Viñoly, Richard Meier, and SOM using LINIT.
How is it that LINIT channel glass is installed on all these stellar projects? No other channel glass provider gives as much critical support to the architect and valuable assistance to the glazier as Bendheim Wall Systems does. To use LINIT channel glass to enhance your distinctive designs, call me at 800-221-7379 X 223 or email me at [email protected]. Thank you, Marc Fink.

Dec 19, 06 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Chch

Try http://www.materialexplorer.com/

I'm guessing from the replies here that it could be of some use in the future too. Good luck.

Dec 19, 06 9:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: